MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3HoopJunkie

Well Falcon Fans,

Now that I have had some time to digest that performance from Friday night I thought I would give my take on the outcome. As already mentioned on here the Falcons simply did not come ready to play in this game. All the credit in the world has to go to Rochester. They were a great team who I look forward to watching the rest of the way. Every time it looked like we were going to go on one of our patented scoring runs Rochester either forced us into a costly turnover or they came right back down the court on the offensive end and buried a 3.

Shooting percentage for the Falcons was abysmal. However, as I was watching the game I noticed that it wasn't due to contested shots and tough looks. Albertus just had one of those nights that you want to forget. They couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat! This is also a reason why I am a little skeptical of Rochester going forward. We had many open looks from the perimeter and even out rebounded them. Away from their home court, I could see them struggling because of these factors. They are a great offensive team but defense and toughness are huge variables in the tournament and they will need to improve drastically if they want to advance past the round of 16.

Falcons25 – Ryan Pittman is our PG and will be our starting PG regardless of who comes in over the next 2 years. Did he have a tough game on Friday? Yes he did. But this kid is an absolute warrior. He is the toughest player on the team and had a great sophomore season and I look forward to seeing him progress. Players like Eian Davis just don't come around D3 to often. In fact, since he graduated I still have yet to see another true PG of his caliber anywhere. Pittman played his behind off on Friday till the bitter end.

Another player I wanted to single out was Shaq Mitchell. He played his heart out and really tried to do everything he could to keep the Falcons in the game. He played great down the stretch and looked like the only really ready and willing to take on the challenge Friday night.

Grant Ellis – I felt terrible for this kid. He just couldn't make a shot. All of us here in New Haven know how great a shooter he is but unfortunately he had a really tough game on Friday night. He had some costly turnovers and defensively he was a liability (although that was something we all knew about going into the game)

I was shocked at the tough game JQ Walters had. He looked like he was really struggling out there. The Falcons had a hard time getting him touches and when he did get it either at the FT line or in the post he really struggled to score the basketball. But none of us can EVER complain about this kid. Conference player of the year and heart and soul of the team! I just hope he uses this as even more motivation for next season because he (along with everyone else) deserved a better ending to the season then what happened Friday night.

That's all I am going to touch on now. I am going to look more into this team going forward in a few weeks and post my thoughts on our chances next season.

Congrats again to Coach Oliver and the Falcons on yet another successful season. And a big thanks to our senior class!

falcons2010

Congratulations to coach Oliver and the falcons. Only one men basketball team at each level will win the national championship. A conference regular season and tournament championship should be honored. The seniors didn't want their season to end the way it did but they should be proud of the way they played and fought this year. The team had a lot of injuries yet overcame them. Walters made this team his. Great job falcons. Junkie, you made excellent points that I agree with. Shaq aMitchell played a heck of a game and had a great year.

From a fan stand point; we took a punch to the gut when we found out that Lovell was no longer on the team. And another one when Jones was ruled out for the season with an injury. Yet these relatively young Falcons overcame that to win the GNAC.

Awesome job guys!

I will post on the future soon.

D3HoopJunkie

Falcons 2010 - Could you imagine if we had Lovell this season? With the way Liam Perryman progressed and just how good Damian Grant already is and both are Freshman!!! Having Lovell score in the post and rebound......This team could have really been super special. I really feel like the dynamic of our offense and defense would have been completely different had he stayed.

Not to mention, as far as I know he is not playing anywhere anymore. Really sad to hear. I wish he just could have understood his role and realized that Albertus was the best place for him. As we mentioned in the past, he was far to undersized to try and make a jump to a higher division. He was an animal for D3 but just didnt have the height to play D2 or D1 and if you are undersized you have to have a little mid range to your game as well which he did not.

Saint-Paul

In the middle of a nor'easter blizzard. Great time to post a season summary for the Saints.  Another 18 loss season for the Saints.  Saints lost and got blown out in all their non conference games except against Curry College, where they needed a 30 foot buzzer beater to keep from losing to a win less team.  Saints finish again in the bottom 5 teams in the GNAC.  Majority of their 8 wins come against the bottom GNAC teams. Plenty of opportunities to step up into the top five this year, but again that did not happen.  Saints finish the year again with a negative assist to turnover ratio, and as a team shot 29% from the 3 point arc.  Saints defense gave up just under 80 points a game.  It is difficult watching a team miss so many 3 point shots and then jog back on defense as if giving up so many fast break baskets is no big deal.  Well, it should be a big deal.
     Only highlight of the season was the coach getting his 200 th career loss on the last day.  I guess 200 isn't enough, it's onward and upward to 250 next season.

D3HoopJunkie

I think enough time has surpassed now from the 2016-2017 season. It is time to start thinking about next season!

I don't think there is any question that the Falcons will once again be the team to beat in the GNAC. We bring back a ton of talent. Conference POY JQ Walters, our starting PG Ryan Pittman and a bevy of 2nd year players who will no doubt continue to improve. Jahmerikah Green Younger had a very respectable freshman campaign and showed us at times that he can shoot the ball with anyone. Big men Liam Perryman and Damian Grant got better each time they played and you could honestly say that in terms of post play, the two of them played the best out of anyone we had in the NCAA tournament. Losing guys like Grant Ellis, Devin Coleman and Shaq Mitchell it tough no doubt because the three were all gifted scorers in so many ways, but we also need to understand that not one of them played defense and Coach Oliver could recruit shooting guards in his sleep.

I don't foresee a large freshman recruiting class coming in because of how much we have returning but I could see Oliver landing high level transfers like we have seen over the past several seasons.  Not to mention, Mason Jones will be back! We never really saw a healthy Mason Jones as it appeared that he reinjured his broken wrist after coming back for only 3 games. Hopefully he will be 100% for next season. He came in as a highly touted JUCO recruit. You aren't a JUCO All American for nothing so we all know this kid can play!

I can't wait to hear about some recruiting news so if any Falcon supporters hear anything during this off season make sure you post it here on the board!!!! I know I will be doing so!

Saint-Paul

Apparently, hoopdirt is making a big deal about the hiring of an assistant coach at Emmanuel who has previous college head coaching experience.  I wonder if if having an ex head coach sitting on the bench just made the head coach's seat a little hotter.  Well, after 200 career losses it should! 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Saint-Paul on May 10, 2017, 10:57:41 AM
Apparently, hoopdirt is making a big deal about the hiring of an assistant coach at Emmanuel who has previous college head coaching experience.  I wonder if if having an ex head coach sitting on the bench just made the head coach's seat a little hotter.  Well, after 200 career losses it should!

I like hoopdirt (and I know he reads these boards), but sometimes he makes a big deal out of something because they are friends or he got the scoop on something. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

PeterEscobar

Quote from: Saint-Paul on May 10, 2017, 10:57:41 AM
Anytime you can add a coach with a 39-74 record to a coach with 200 career losses at a school, you have to be excited...

Saint-Paul

Yes, I believe that the Saint's fan base can relax and enjoy the summer months knowing that the brain trust for the upcoming season is already in place.  After all, with 274 combined losses sitting on the bench, how can they lose? ? ?

ronk

Saint Paul,
  I sympathize with you; we only have so many fan years. Just watch out if you're riding a donkey soon - Saul got knocked off his ass and renamed Paul when he failed to convert.   ::)

D3HoopJunkie

Maybe you can help me out here Dave.......

So last season Mason Jones who was a JUCO transfer with 2 full year of eligibility left broke his wrist during the preseason and only played in 2 maybe 3 games before re-injuring that same wrist, causing him to miss the rest of the season.

Does he lose that entire year of eligibility? Or is there someway he can get that year back considering the injury??

As a college hoops fan I cant help but to think of Tim Abromaitis who was a star at Notre Dame but had so many knee injuries that he actually wound up staying in South Bend for 6 seasons! I am sure there are big differences between D1 and D3 but if someone can elaborate on this for me I would appreciate any information?

And oddly enough Jim Abromaitis, Tims father is the Athletic Director at Albertus!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: D3HoopJunkie on June 02, 2017, 01:23:32 PM

So last season Mason Jones who was a JUCO transfer with 2 full year of eligibility left broke his wrist during the preseason and only played in 2 maybe 3 games before re-injuring that same wrist, causing him to miss the rest of the season.

Does he lose that entire year of eligibility? Or is there someway he can get that year back considering the injury??

As a college hoops fan I cant help but to think of Tim Abromaitis who was a star at Notre Dame but had so many knee injuries that he actually wound up staying in South Bend for 6 seasons! I am sure there are big differences between D1 and D3 but if someone can elaborate on this for me I would appreciate any information?

And oddly enough Jim Abromaitis, Tims father is the Athletic Director at Albertus!

If they apply for a redshirt, I don't see why he wouldn't get it. 2-3 games is well below the threshold in Division III (NCAA).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AllStar

Quote from: D3HoopJunkie on June 02, 2017, 01:23:32 PM

I like your Notre Dame reference.  ;D

WPI89

Just heard WPI is headed down to Magnus for a non-conference game in late November!  Should be fun.

gordonmann