WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brookland

QuoteBrookland: my heartlfelt congratulations. CUA women finally get a championship, beating Juniata in the one that counts most. Congrats.
Thanks, I am very happy for them as well. It was a thrill when the CUA men won it all a few years back, but they got almost no notice in the DC area press, with its emphasis on the local D1 schools. I hope the women do well and get some notice somewhere besides our insular world of D3.
Go Cardinals!

cuabigdog

NCAA tournament 2012: Catholic women's basketball reaches new heights

CUA Womens basketball will have an outstanding article in the Washington Post on Friday March 2 and it is my understanding they will be featured on ABC7/WJLA-TV  with Tim Brant friday evening..finally getting some very much deserved recognition for their efforts on the court ...congrats to the entire team and coaching staff on an outstanding season ..with more wins to come in the tournament ...GOOD LUCK CUA ..it's a great year to be a Cardinal !!!!
CUA 2001 NCAA  DIII Basketball National Champions

kate

Hello Ronk & all Scranton posters!  Is your lovely graduating Senior, Sidney Jaques, related to the new head coach at Siena College, Ali Jaques?  I noticed that both players graduated from NJ's Hunterdon Central HS.  Didn't read the Express article, but it's online at lehighvalleylive.com/sports.  Apparently, she's been as assistant coach now for some time, and this is her first shot with her own program.

saratoga

Kate: Good catch.
Ali is Sidney's older sister.
She's been an assistant at Northwestern the last several years.
While I'm at it...all the best to Sidney, she's a pretty remarkable young lady.

sp0rtsfan

The U of S. hosted a successful 1st class award / fund raising event last evening. Bill Raftery was honored and addressed the audince - made everyone laugh showing a great sense of humor.

On a side note,  although not yet officially announced,  you will soon hear that Deanna Klingman is returning to the Lady Royals as Coach Strong's assistant...My opinion has always been that they missed her presence these last few years and lost much of their luster without her.....I expect the Lady Royals to rejoin the ranks of the elite D3 women's programs in the next coming seasons..

ronk

Congrats to superb Lady Royals bballer of the recent past Taryn Mellody who was listed as receiving a Doctorate in Physical Therapy at yesterday's U of S Graduate School graduation.

kate

Yes, Ronk, we remember Taryn very well!  Certainly big congratulations to her (we have been wondering where she might have gone or done, & now we know her time has been very productively spent!)

sp0rtsfan

Sure wish The Royals would get a non-conference game against FDU....I think both teams would benefit since their style of play is so different.....

ronk

sp0rtsfan,
   It could happen since they're relatively close and the Lady Royals usually have some Northern NJ players on their roster, meaning one of their 2 top recruiting areas.

kate

Hello Ronk!  By now i'm sure you've noticed that Scranton's schedule is up, and the only thing wrong with it, is that it doesn't include Del Val!   Hope that your summer's going well!

ronk

Kate,
  I did notice the Scranton schedule. Thought I saw someone from the Del Val women's coaching staff at the Blue Chip AAU tourney today, but didn't have a chance to talk with her.

kate

Good morning, Ronk!  It's good to hear that the Del Val Women's Basketball staff is out and about this summer scouting talent!  This seems like a long summer with the Phillies doing so poorly, and this heat.  Really, really looking forward to Nov. and the start of the season.

sp0rtsfan

It's official....Deaanna Klingman has returned to the ranks of the Royals coaching staff.......The team was 161 - 21 for the previous years she was there helping out...

http://athletics.scranton.edu/sports/wbkb/2012-13/releases/wb_aug._8

ronk

Lady Royals' roster is out; 2 missing: Emma Hart and Katie Cunningham(not back from injury(yet?)). 4 frosh-I've seen 3 of their AAU teams in action, but don't remember the play of those 3, in particular. One, Jaclyn Gantz, did have a hilite show on the internet and looks to be a good shooter, BUT it was a hilite show.

saratoga

Ronk:
Right you are...hi-lite packaging is just that.
As for our esteemed coach... it would apperar another average class brought in.
No real size, no much needed point & although I'm sure all are good players, certainly no freshmen impact kids.
Thank God two transfer starters fell from heaven last year...can't even begin to think how thin this once proud program would be without them.
I don't think he's had a freshman recruit that could step in & get things done in 5 years...who since Megan K.???