MBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 24, 2005, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Carroll

thrunt01: The magazine points to the Blugolds' deep backcourt as a reason for the 4th place pick. Platteville comes in at #5.

thrunt01

Quote from: Brian Carroll on November 01, 2012, 10:09:18 PM
thrunt01: The magazine points to the Blugolds' deep backcourt as a reason for the 4th place pick. Platteville comes in at #5.

Maybe I wasn't following the league as closely last year as in past years but it just seems like, across the conference, there are so few names I know returning. Anyone else feel this way?

havej

Interesting theories on where teams are rated in terms of "depth" (EC) and "roster length" (LAX).  I would think the "talent" that teams return is also fairly important.  If that makes sense, why wouldn't Stout and Superior warrant more attention?  They each have 2 returning all WIAC players from last year - only WW can say the same.

thrunt01

Quote from: havej on November 02, 2012, 09:34:40 AM
Interesting theories on where teams are rated in terms of "depth" (EC) and "roster length" (LAX).  I would think the "talent" that teams return is also fairly important.  If that makes sense, why wouldn't Stout and Superior warrant more attention?  They each have 2 returning all WIAC players from last year - only WW can say the same.

Superior is a big time wild card. A 7 foot 300 pound center is a rarity in this league and gives them an edge. On the flip side their on what their 4th coach in 5 years? That type of turnover just isn't productive. For Stout that talent didn't lead to many wins last year so it is hard to forecast many wins for them this year. Not saying they can't sneak into the WIAC tournament but I don't see them as any better than a 6 seed.

havej

Thrunt - hear ya on the Superior assessment, but wouldn't sleep on Stout.  Olson is a 4 year PG and Oman a very skilled player.

thrunt01

Quote from: havej on November 02, 2012, 11:32:54 AM
Thrunt - hear ya on the Superior assessment, but wouldn't sleep on Stout.  Olson is a 4 year PG and Oman a very skilled player.

Fair points. I guess it comes down to those guys staying on the court. Health and off-court concerns have seemed to derail Stout in the past.

voice

Battling cancer is easier when I keep busy. I will be blogging UWW basketball all season long on my new blog:  http://www.voiceseyeonbasketball.blogspot.com/
Any comments would be appreciated!

tomt4525

So, I ended up picking up a Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook mainly for the WIAC preview.

Along with everyone that has been mentioned on Point's team, some players I definitely didn't recognize, all from the Milwaukee area.
Leon Gray  6-0 Soph  Milwaukee King
Demitrius Jackson  6-3 Soph  Milwaukee Riverside
Chris Stovall  6-1  Fr  Milwaukee King
Mike Ward  6-0  Fr  Milwaukee King

I have to say I'm liking the little pipeline Point is getting from Milwaukee King, players from that conference play the best competition in the state.  I know very little about these guys though, anybody got anything??

Newcomers and/or returnees from injury that I think could have a good shot at being impact players in the conference in my opinion include:

Adam Hjelter  Eau Claire  following his coach from Superior...same story with Eric Effertz
Ryan Tachick  FR  Eau Claire- Bay Port product
Jeff Heiden SR  La Crosse-comes back from injury after averaging close to 14 ppg in a short season
Cale Zuiker  SO  La Crosse- Div 1 transfer
Devin Yurk  FR  La Crosse-very highly touted, next Tony Mane for the Eagles??
UT Udo  SR  River Falls- comes back after injury, very athletic, started career at D2 University of Mary
David Berthene JR  River Falls- 6'9" transfer from D2 Bemidji State
David Stanley  SO  River Falls- Transfer from D2 Concordia St Paul
Clayton Heuer  JR  Stevens Point- 6'9" D1 transfer, should be an immediate starter
Rob DeMyers FR  Stevens Point- comes in highly touted and some young posts will need to play minutes for Point
Dan Studer  FR  Stevens Point- same as DeMyers, plus played great competition on a great team last year
Jake Lindfors SR  Whitewater- D1 and D2 transfer, proven to be a capable scorer at that level
Reggie Hearn JR  Whitewater-  JC transfer, will atleast provide depth to a frontline that should be formidable
Miles Chamberlain  SO  Whitewater- D2 transfer, watched him at state tourney-very talented, played great competition as well
K.J. Evans  SO  Whitewater- from what I remember, had a great career at Beloit Memorial
Darnell Harris FR  Whitewater- talented enough to be a D1 player as a Freshman

From looking around the preview, these are the newbies that stand out to me.  On another note, I was expecting Nick Romanowski (spelling??) from Franklin to be suiting up for La Crosse this year...he isn't listed on their roster.

I really think the WIAC has two top 10 teams in the nation this year and both Whitewater and Point has some promising young players that I look forward to following their careers.

tomt4525

Anybody attending the Purple/Gold game tmw night??

lacrossefan

Greek Tragedy

Is it me or does there seem to be an upward trend on recruiting transfers? It always seemed like Whitewater adds 3 or 4 tranfers each year, but it looks like other teams are making more of an effort to do so. Is there a trend? Is it good for the conference? Is it bad?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

tomt4525

Quote from: lacrossefan on November 06, 2012, 12:58:52 PM
The Lacrosse roster has now been posted.

From the roster I saw in the basketball yearbook there are some changes...not posted on the UW-L website are Ian Anderson from LaCrescent Minn, Logan Ellman from Oconto, Chad Potas from Wayzata Minn and Devin Yurk from Sheboygan North.  I guess it's possible some or all of these guys are injured for the year and thus not posted on the roster but not likely.  Yurk is a big loss if you ask me, I expected big things out of him for La Crosse.

tomt4525

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 06, 2012, 01:18:02 PM
Is it me or does there seem to be an upward trend on recruiting transfers? It always seemed like Whitewater adds 3 or 4 tranfers each year, but it looks like other teams are making more of an effort to do so. Is there a trend? Is it good for the conference? Is it bad?

That is a great question as it does seem that there are more transfers coming into the WIAC these past few recruiting classes.  I am pretty impartial on the topic though.  I feel coaches should recruit whomever they want as long as they follow the NCAA rules, whether that be high school kids or transfer kids.  I'm certainly happy that Point was able to fill a huge void with a transfer kid in Heuer this year but I'm also a big fan of getting the highly touted high school kids they normally get and follow their careers as freshman onward.