FB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Quote from: Rhythm21 on November 15, 2018, 11:45:25 PM
Know it's already been discussed, but we got Don Beebe!  :o

Don't get me wrong, Ponx was doing an all right job with the program. Going 5-5 in your 5th year isn't great (And I'd like to think he expected more as well.) Most wins in a season for AU during his tenure: 6 (2016; Co-NACC champions, no playoff appearance.) Apparently the seniors, along with some other Spartans, left the end-of-the-season meeting once they were informed of the school's decision and I respect them for standing behind their coach. But hopefully the FR, SO and JR players stick around long enough to hear Coach Beebe out before they transfer. Otherwise it's looking like a rough transition period is ahead. Fingers crossed it isn't.

The amazing news is, with the name recognition and pedigree, Don Beebe is going to be able to sit across from top IL recruits' living rooms and compete with the likes of North Central, Illinois Wesleyan, etc. Excited to see where my alma mater can go from here with Don Beebe at the helm!

With all due respect to AU, I sincerely doubt whether they will present much of a challenge recruiting wise when competing for kids also considering NCC, IWU, etc., Don Beebe or not.
Additionally, when you factor in the academic component, the advantage that those other schools enjoy only increases.

UWO Titan 78

I saw that Concordia Chicago lists a Head Coach TBD. Anyone know who's in the running?

fulbakdad

This is from the Football Scoop.

Concordia-Chicago (D-III – IL): Sources tell FootballScoop that Jason Aubry will be the new head coach at CU-Chicago. Aubry spent this past season as the offensive coordinator at Larkin HS (IL) and is the former head coach at Joliet West HS (IL).

formerd3db

Quote from: Look It Up on December 17, 2018, 10:18:52 AM
CUC's official release - https://www.cucougars.com/news/2018/12/17/jason-aubry-appointed-new-head-coach-for-cuc-football.aspx
Quote from: fulbakdad on December 17, 2018, 07:31:49 AM
This is from the Football Scoop.

Concordia-Chicago (D-III – IL): Sources tell FootballScoop that Jason Aubry will be the new head coach at CU-Chicago. Aubry spent this past season as the offensive coordinator at Larkin HS (IL) and is the former head coach at Joliet West HS (IL).

So was the former coach fired/released or did he leave for another position?  I could find no information or news releases from the athletics department/administration.  Just curious.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

He was an interim coach, so no guarantees.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 17, 2018, 10:09:23 PM
He was an interim coach, so no guarantees.

Thanks Pat.  I forgot that aspect regarding his status for this year.  For sure, the interim title does not guarantee anyone they'll get the position full time.  Sometimes they do, sometimes not.

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Ryan Stoppable

Benedictine head coach Brad McCaslin has resigned to rejoin Lance Leopold's staff at the University of Buffalo, where he will coach DTs.
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

Rhythm21

Quote from: AndOne on November 21, 2018, 03:33:04 PM
Quote from: Rhythm21 on November 15, 2018, 11:45:25 PM
Know it's already been discussed, but we got Don Beebe!  :o

Don't get me wrong, Ponx was doing an all right job with the program. Going 5-5 in your 5th year isn't great (And I'd like to think he expected more as well.) Most wins in a season for AU during his tenure: 6 (2016; Co-NACC champions, no playoff appearance.) Apparently the seniors, along with some other Spartans, left the end-of-the-season meeting once they were informed of the school's decision and I respect them for standing behind their coach. But hopefully the FR, SO and JR players stick around long enough to hear Coach Beebe out before they transfer. Otherwise it's looking like a rough transition period is ahead. Fingers crossed it isn't.

The amazing news is, with the name recognition and pedigree, Don Beebe is going to be able to sit across from top IL recruits' living rooms and compete with the likes of North Central, Illinois Wesleyan, etc. Excited to see where my alma mater can go from here with Don Beebe at the helm!

With all due respect to AU, I sincerely doubt whether they will present much of a challenge recruiting wise when competing for kids also considering NCC, IWU, etc., Don Beebe or not.
Additionally, when you factor in the academic component, the advantage that those other schools enjoy only increases.

Haha,you figure a former Super Bowl champion won't have an effect on high school football recruits? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were joking/inebriated when you threw that opinion out there. On top of being a former Super Bowl champion, the reputation and rapport Beebe's earned in the local high school coaching ranks is very similar to what Thorne had prior to NCC becoming a powerhouse. That's national name brand recognition for out-of-staters and local coaching relationships for the in-area recruits. True, IWU's academics may be a factor, but NCC is a closer recruiting competitor and is an average Illinois private school academically. So the academic disparity is not as much of a factor between AU and NCC as I think you believe it to be. A more prominent challenge for AU than academics is the conference tradition and football history from NACC to CCIW/AU to NCC/IWU/Wheaton, etc. But to think that AU hadn't been able to compete with the likes of IWU and NCC for recruits prior to Beebe is very naive, AndOne (Which is why I gave you the benefit of the doubt earlier.) With Beebe at the helm, AU just has a broader pitch.
AU Black and Blue

Captain_Joe08

Here is some of the 2019 Football Schedules for the NACC.

Aurora

9/7 vs St. Norbert
9/14 at Elmhurst
9/21 at Hope
10/5 vs Eureka
10/12 vs Concordia Chicago
10/19 at Concordia Wisconsin
10/26 vs Rockford
11/2 vs Benedictine
11/9 at Wisconsin Lutheran
11/16 at Lakeland

Benedictine

9/7 vs Franklin
9/14 at Loras
9/21 at Olivet
10/5 at Concordia Wisconsin
10/12 vs Rockford
10/19 at Wisconsin Lutheran
10/26 vs Eureka
11/2 at Aurora
11/9 vs Lakeland
11/16 vs Concordia Chicago

Concordia Chicago

9/7 at Beloit
9/14 vs Olivet
9/21 at Finlandia
10/5 vs Lakeland
10/12 at Aurora
10/19 at Eureka
10/26 vs Concordia Wisconsin
11/2 vs Wisconsin Lutheran
11/9 at Rockford
11/16 at Benedictine

Concordia Wisconsin

9/7 vs Finlandia
9/14 at Augsburg
9/21 at Trine
10/5 vs Benedictine
10/12 at Lakeland
10/19 vs Aurora
10/26 at Concordia Chicago
11/2 vs Rockford
11/9 at Eureka
11/16 at Wisconsin Lutheran

Eureka

9/7 vs Knox
9/14 vs MacMurray
9/21 at Albion
10/5 at Aurora
10/12 at Wisconsin Lutheran
10/19 vs Concordia Chicago
10/26 at Benedictine
11/2 vs Lakeland
11/9 vs Concordia Wisconsin
11/16 at Rockford

Lakeland

9/7 vs Carroll
9/21 at Kalamazoo
9/28 vs UW-Platteville
10/5 at Concordia Chicago
10/12 vs Concordia Wisconsin
10/19 at Rockford
10/25 at Wisconsin Lutheran
11/2 at Eureka
11/9 at Benedictine
11/16 vs Aurora

Rockford

9/7 at MacMurray
9/14 at Martin Luther
9/21 at Alma
10/5 vs Wisconsin Lutheran
10/12 at Benedictine
10/19 vs Lakeland
10/26 at Aurora
11/2 at Concordia Wisconsin
11/9 vs Concordia Chicago
11/6 vs Eureka

Wisconsin Lutheran

9/5 vs Lake Forest
9/14 at Lawrence Tech
9/21 at Adrian
10/5 at Rockford
10/12 vs Eureka
10/19 vs Benedictine
10/26 at Lakeland
11/2 at Concordia Chicago
11/9 vs Aurora
11/16 vs Concordia Wisconsin
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

Just Bill

St. Norbert moving to the NACC beginning in 2020-21. Should be a shift in power at the top of league I would imagine.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

RFMichigan

Quote from: Just Bill on April 03, 2019, 12:34:09 PM
St. Norbert moving to the NACC beginning in 2020-21. Should be a shift in power at the top of league I would imagine.

I agree. It seems to me that NACC football is divided into the "usually pretty decent", "usually meh", and "usually not very good" levels, but there are often some surprises in that someone's often finishing surprisingly high and someone's finishing surprisingly low. Sticking St. Norbert into the league seems to either add a team that will be in the "usually pretty decent" group, or create a new level - "expected to win the league unless something surprising happens".

Does this make any sense?

WW

Quote from: RFMichigan on April 03, 2019, 03:41:07 PM

I agree. It seems to me that NACC football is divided into the "usually pretty decent", "usually meh", and "usually not very good" levels, but there are often some surprises in that someone's often finishing surprisingly high and someone's finishing surprisingly low. Sticking St. Norbert into the league seems to either add a team that will be in the "usually pretty decent" group, or create a new level - "expected to win the league unless something surprising happens".

Sounds about right. SNC played Aurora (5-2 in NACC) last season and while the final was 16-7, stats suggest SNC was in total control. They'll play the second part of that series to open 2019 season.

What is Benedictine's status as a NACC member going forward?

Just Bill

They are a full member and have no postseason restriction any more, beginning in 2019-20.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Ryan Stoppable

Quote from: WW on April 04, 2019, 10:27:43 AM
Quote from: RFMichigan on April 03, 2019, 03:41:07 PM

Sounds about right. SNC played Aurora (5-2 in NACC) last season and while the final was 16-7, stats suggest SNC was in total control. They'll play the second part of that series to open 2019 season.

What is Benedictine's status as a NACC member going forward?

St. Norbert also lost to Benedictine in both 2016 and 2017. But that said, the Green Knights don't seem to really have "down years" like...well, every other team in this conference. Good news is that De Pere is a pretty easy drive from Sheboygan. ;D

In some coaching news, Benedictine hired Jim Schroeder away from Rockford to be their new head coach - he had been the Eagles' defensive coordinator for ten years prior to taking RU's top job. The Regents then elevated their defensive coordinator, J.T. Zimmerman, to head coach.
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)