MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The final week of the 2017-18 season is upon us. In a week's time, the topic will be who has punched their tickets to the NCAA tournaments and who is hoping to get selected. This week... we don't know many of the answers and some questions have yet to be considered.

url=http://www.d3hoopsville.com]Hoopsville[/url] returns to the air LIVE this Sunday night with a jam-packed, and super-sized, edition. Dave welcomes guests from around the country and looks at a lot of the conference tournaments which are getting underway. Can some of the top teams take advantage of home-court advantage? Who may surprise? Who do some NOT want to see lose if they hope to make the tournament themselves?

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2EyN7G9

If you have questions, be sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or interact with the show via the social media avenues located to the right.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Tom Glynn, Nichols men's coach
- Anne Crutchfield, Emory & Henry women's coach
- Kevin Broderick, Nazareth men's coach
- Zach Otto-Fisher, UW-Superior interim women's coach
- Jon Prevo, No. 24 Rose-Hulman women's coach
- Brendan Gulick, Baldwin Wallace broadcaster (Great Lakes recap)
- Ryan Scott, "Top 25 Double-take"

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Fifth and Putnam

Top seeds all advance. We arrive at the semifinals with the 4 teams that have been the best 4 all year long.

#4 Baldwin Wallace @ #1 John Carroll
#3 Ohio Northern @ #2  Marietta

Should be a fun set of games Thursday evening.

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: Fifth and Putnam on February 21, 2018, 02:51:36 AM
Top seeds all advance. We arrive at the semifinals with the 4 teams that have been the best 4 all year long.

On Hoopsville, Brendan Gulick (BW announcer brought on air to discuss the Great Lakes region) said he would be surprised if there were not upsets in the OAC tournament's first round. I wholeheartedly agreed. . . . then Tuesday happens.  Everything according to seeds.    Should be some great games on Thursday.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on February 21, 2018, 10:17:22 AM

On Hoopsville, Brendan Gulick (BW announcer brought on air to discuss the Great Lakes region) said he would be surprised if there were not upsets in the OAC tournament's first round. I wholeheartedly agreed. . . . then Tuesday happens.  Everything according to seeds.    Should be some great games on Thursday.

We like to have guests on the show to jinx what we think will happen. From coaches to others, it always happens the opposite of what we are talkig about LOL.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Smitty Oom

In my eyes it just adds to the unpredictability of the OAC. All year there are upsets you weren't expecting. Heidelberg at a red hot Ohio Northern squad, Polar Bears will roll to a W.... Wrong! John Carroll in the last game of the regular season for a post season tune-up against Capital, JCU will streak to victory... Wrong!

In the postseason you finally start to get used to these upsets and you are expecting at least one, if not more, and you are wrong again!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The NCAA men's basketball regional advisory committees released their third set of rankings, and as expected, the Atlantic Region was among those getting shuffled. Here's the full list: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/02/men-regional-rankings-third

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 21, 2018, 12:41:27 PM

In my eyes it just adds to the unpredictability of the OAC. All year there are upsets you weren't expecting. Heidelberg at a red hot Ohio Northern squad, Polar Bears will roll to a W.... Wrong! John Carroll in the last game of the regular season for a post season tune-up against Capitol, JCU will streak to victory... Wrong!

In the postseason you finally start to get used to these upsets and you are expecting at least one, if not more, and you are wrong again!

Ha. Very true. The unexpected became the expected so when the expected happened (all higher seeds won), that was, in fact, unexpected.

Onward on, John Carroll

Ohio Northern over Marietta 94-88.
John Carroll over Baldwin-Wallace 93-72.

JCU hosts ONU on Saturday at 7:30. Rough turnaround for ONU as. Assume they will not get back to campus until 3AM or so. Then need to leave for JCU less than 36 hours later on Saturday. They'll be fatigued, no doubt, but playing for their season. Should be a goos one.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on February 22, 2018, 10:49:44 PM

JCU hosts ONU on Saturday at 7:30. Rough turnaround for ONU as. Assume they will not get back to campus until 3AM or so. Then need to leave for JCU less than 36 hours later on Saturday. They'll be fatigued, no doubt, but playing for their season. Should be a goos one.

Bruns came off the bench for 20 points in 16 minutes. Brendan Gulick said it may be a foot injury he was dealing with. Hopefully he didn't suffer a setback today and is full throttle against JCU on Saturday. They are strengthening their pool C resume, but it may be a little too late for that. Looking forward to Fan50s update.

JCUStreaks70

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 22, 2018, 11:45:42 PM

Bruns came off the bench for 20 points in 16 minutes. Brendan Gulick said it may be a foot injury he was dealing with. Hopefully he didn't suffer a setback today and is full throttle against JCU on Saturday. They are strengthening their pool C resume, but it may be a little too late for that. Looking forward to Fan50s update.

Agreed, I think they need to win to get the Automatic Bid. Outside that, if they lose, they need A.) a very close game (potentially even OT) and other bid busters to lose; but even as you said, that may not be enough.

Either way, I expect a great game tomorrow, and ONU to come out of the gates playing their third "tournament game"
AMDG

2016 OAC CHAMPS! AND MY OWN SELF-PROCLAIMED RUNNERS-UP TO THE RUNNERS-UP.

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: JCUStreaks70 on February 23, 2018, 09:28:01 AM
Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 22, 2018, 11:45:42 PM

I think it is win or go home for Northern.  My opinion.

Agreed, I think they need to win to get the Automatic Bid. Outside that, if they lose, they need A.) a very close game (potentially even OT) and other bid busters to lose; but even as you said, that may not be enough.

Either way, I expect a great game tomorrow, and ONU to come out of the gates playing their third "tournament game"

Onward on, John Carroll

Last night's championship was a wild affair. Lots of fouls and foul shots. Two technicals. Five fan ejections (the students' section was, it appeared, well lubricated). At the end of the day, JCU was just too quick in the front court; however, I think they're very susceptible to being hurt badly by a quality big man. Northern has one in the OAC player of the year but he was clearly not 100% last night and he still made a difference. I will also say that Northern appeared tired in the second half and that was likely a factor. The two trips to Etta, one trip to Cleveland, 3AM arrival back to campus Thursday night/Friday morning and 4 games in 8 days likely took its toll. Even the parents appeared tired after the game.

At this point, I think Etta is in, JCU is hosting and ONU has slim hopes but hope nonetheless.

JCUStreaks70

Good Luck today Marietta and a more important Good Luck to John Carroll! My dream match-up would be to see these two fight it out for a trip to the Final Four.

Then again, it is always hard to beat a good time three times in a year!
AMDG

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: JCUStreaks70 on March 02, 2018, 10:01:40 AM
Good Luck today Marietta and a more important Good Luck to John Carroll! My dream match-up would be to see these two fight it out for a trip to the Final Four.

Then again, it is always hard to beat a good time three times in a year!

I would like that as well  . . . even more if Augustana loses too and that game  . . .just perhaps . . .might be scheduled for University Heights. 

JCUStreaks70

2 Great wins this weekend! Looking forward to driving to Rock Island for the game on Friday!
AMDG