MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllStar

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 22, 2018, 08:05:24 PM
Update on Duncan Robinson:

It is reported that he had a workout with the Lakers today.  He has already been seen by the Heat and the Celtics, and will visit the Bulls this Saturday.  I suspect his basketball future is in Europe, but it's great to see NBA teams showing some real interest.

The bold caught my rooting interest!

jumpshot

Williams wins 21st of 23 Director Cups despite changes in scoring format designed to increase chances of other institutions to compete for first place. No awards, individually or collectively, academically or athleticly are targeted by the College, simply are a bi-product of sustained excellence in many facets.

I do believe these changes in Director Cup are artificial and tend toward major and minor emphasis and will incent odd behavior by some administrations.

Stay turned for more escalation and professionalism in what used to be a preserve of amateur athletics....

jumpshot

Changes in scoring also strike me amusingly as a misguided attempt by some executive to regain relevance of a marketing technique that had become "ho-hum" due to decades of a sole winner. The outcome will be just the opposite ---the Directors' Cup is now a bit more irrelevant as an over-engineered award with more scoring changes likely in the future until there are few repeat winners in order to appeal more broadly to Learfield's customer base.

truenorth

Williams is clearly the unrivaled leader in leveraging its elite academic reputation to recruit academically qualified student athletes to fuel the success of a wide range of athletic programs.  Their sustained excellence in the Director's Cup standings over more than two decades is truly impressive.  Most if not all of the other NESCACs have followed suit in various ways to varying degrees.

And I think it's safe to conclude that Williams success is institutionally driven and not personality driven.  Harry Sheehy, who was the AD during the first 15 years or so of Williams 20+ year run, was brought in by Dartmouth (my alma mater) to bring some of that same magic...and that simply hasn't happened...

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jumpshot on May 31, 2018, 11:39:33 AM
Changes in scoring also strike me amusingly as a misguided attempt by some executive to regain relevance of a marketing technique that had become "ho-hum" due to decades of a sole winner. The outcome will be just the opposite ---the Directors' Cup is now a bit more irrelevant as an over-engineered award with more scoring changes likely in the future until there are few repeat winners in order to appeal more broadly to Learfield's customer base.

Seems unlikely that Learfield's customer base cares much about how the D-III award is handed out.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Cards Fan

I cannot believe I didn't notice it sooner, but Nathan Krill is actually eligible for a 5th year after his red shirt freshman year. The same goes for JR Bascom. Doubtful that either will play. Any other big seniors who have this option?

nescac1

Interesting re: Krill and Bascom.  Wesleyan's returning front court talent without those two plus Sears is on the thin side next year, that's a lot of muscle lost, but if either return (especially Krill) it would vault Wesleyan into pre-season top-15 contention, I'd say.  As of now, I have them behind Williams and Hamilton, though. 

The only other players of note I can think of in NESCAC eligible to take a fifth year based on injuries -- and none were seniors last year -- are Kyle Scadlock, Tim McCarthy, and Hilal Dahleh.  I've not heard of any plans to do so by any of them, but of course McCarthy has a lot of time to decide.   

nescac1

Duncan signs with the Heat.  Still a long shot to make an NBA roster but he will be making $ playing hoops somewhere next season:

https://www.michigansportszone.com/2018/06/22/duncan-robinson/

frank uible

To put it in perspective - the majority of these kids will never receive substantial playing time in college.

gordonmann

Aaron Toomey joined us for this month's Around the Nation podcast to talk about his pro experience in Spain, his return to Amherst and his participation on Team D3 for The Basketball Tournament.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/06/atn-lett-toomey

amh63

Gordonmann...thanks for the info......but has the podcast been broadcasted or is it in the future?
Whatever...how do I find it?

gordonmann

Sorry about that.

Try it now. The link title was wrong so it wasn't displaying properly.

nescac1

Pretty wild to see Duncan Robinson in an NBA uniform.  He got a starting nod in his first summer league game.  You can see him dish a gorgeous assist at 3:45 and nail a deep 3 at the 4:56 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3jdp3K5w8

nescac1

One more Duncan tidbit: NBA twitter just posted a video of his first half highlights tonight.  Wow.

https://twitter.com/nba/status/1014327731901882369?s=21

jumpshot

Duncan Robinson scores 19 points in 19 minutes on 7 for 9 from the floor, including 5 threes, a driving dunk, and 4 rebounds with 2 assists, as the Miami Heat defeat the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Summer League Tournament in Sacramento.

Way to go, DR ...!