Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

New England D3soccer.com All-Americans:

First Team
D Conor Coleman Sr. Tufts
M Tyler Kulscar Sr. Tufts
M Josh Ocel Sr. Brandeis

Second Team
GK Blake Mullen Jr. St. Joseph's (Maine)
D Riley Bubb Sr. Bowdoin

Third Team
GK Ben Woodhouse Sr. Brandeis
D Dalton Gaumer St. Joseph's (Maine)

Although Brandeis and Tufts deservedly got a lot of press this year, and I think the four players from those programs deserved their honors, nice to see Bubb and the two SJC players honored. (To be fair, we (I) did talk about SJC quite a bit this year. Regardless, I also think the three selections from those programs were deserved honorees.)

OldNed

I wondered where Mohamed Kenawy from UMass Boston went after the 2016 season, and it looks like he's been playing in the Major Arena Soccer League.

http://www.cedarrapidsrampage.com/news/hauss-kenawy-recognized-as-elite-masl-rookies

OldNed

I'm curious to see how Springfield's 2018 season plays out considering the interim coach they named is a 2016 Springfield grad, Billy Schmid.  He's got to be one of the youngest coaches in the country.

http://springfieldcollegepride.com/sports/msoc/2017-18/releases/20180214evtl3o

Ommadawn

Quote from: OldNed on April 04, 2018, 02:02:20 PM
I'm curious to see how Springfield's 2018 season plays out considering the interim coach they named is a 2016 Springfield grad, Billy Schmid.  He's got to be one of the youngest coaches in the country.

I think they're doing a national search for the full-time position.  Schmid will be an assistant at Amherst in the fall.

OldNed

Quote from: Ommadawn on April 04, 2018, 04:08:22 PM
Quote from: OldNed on April 04, 2018, 02:02:20 PM

I think they're doing a national search for the full-time position.  Schmid will be an assistant at Amherst in the fall.

Thanks for point that out, Ommadawn. 

OldNed

St. Joe's of Maine will be hosting the New England Cup tournament on Sunday with local rivals Thomas, Husson, and University of New England. 

https://www.sjcme.edu/about-us/news-and-events/events-listing/2018-new-england-cup/

For anyone who is interested, there is a livestream on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4QBXiV47T0

OldNed

Quote from: OldNed on October 31, 2017, 01:56:34 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on October 31, 2017, 01:06:12 PM
I actually kind of see your point that a 2-0-0 RvR is legitimate. I mean you can only play the teams on your schedule BUT their SOS in Conference is a horrific .482 and SOS out of conference not much better at .492. That is why when they did not play the Keene St or Colby matches it hurt their SOS a bit. I mean even Norwich has an Out of Conference schedule of .516 and while not great it is still way higher than St.Joe's. Johnson and Wales has no ranked wins but a .593 out of conference SOS which is legit. Now either way St.Joe's and Johnson and Wales both need the AQ so in the end it is just the plain weakness of the league that is dragging the top teams #'s way down. I suppose coaches could put pressure on the bottom feeders to pump their schedules up but coaches of those schools are not going to play a match where the final score could be 8-0 just so the top teams SOS rise. Makes no sense. Basically, your stuck until St.Joe's and frankly Johnson and Wales find a stronger conference that will take them.

I'm not able to give karma yet (when does one pass that threshold?), but if I were I would give you some here, Mr. Right. Interesting idea about getting to a better conference, but it may be easier in the short term to just schedule better out-of-conference opponents.

St. Joe's tentative schedule is out and they have scheduled better out-of-conference opponents in 2018: Gordon, Endicott, Bowdoin, and Salem State are all on the schedule, which is nice to see.  They're also looking to fill in a slot where they had scheduled Mt. Ida, but Mt. Ida is being swallowed up by the UMass system at the end of the this semester. Hopefully they can get another good out-of-conference game in place of Mt. Ida.

Ejay

I believe Hartwick is still looking for opponents. That would be a nice game.

blooter442

Brandeis with a good D1 transfer pickup in Bryant Nardizzi from UNC-Wilmington. Will be a junior; spent his first year at NC State. Apparently played at Framingham High School and was part of the NE Revolution Academy.

truenorth

From NC State to UNC Wilmington to Brandeis...interesting academic progression...he must be a good student despite the D1 school hopping he's done...

Ejay

Probably should have gone D3 from the get-go as he's played the equivalent of 5 games in two years.
Freshman @ NC STATE - 7 GP, 208 total minutes
Soph @ UNC-Wilmington - 14 GP, 272 total minutes

With that said, he has a nice resume and on paper should do well for the Judges.  I wish him luck.

OldNed

According to the Eastern Connecticut Men's Soccer twitter feed, the team played in the McCully Tournament on Cape Cod where they defeated Wheaton and Bentley (D2) and tied Brandeis.

Scores were not mentioned and it's just spring soccer, but that's still a good solid weekend of soccer for ECSU.

NEsoccerfan20

Endicott seems to have landed a few transfers as well.... they broadcasted one of their spring games against Umass Boston a few weeks back on Facebook in which they won 1-0. Jack Bacon...goalkeeper from Boston College transferred over as well as Jon Breed a midfielder who played at Clemson. Those two should help massively.

truenorth

Those reported transfers may indeed bolster Endicott's men's D3 soccer team, but in all candor that's a big step down for the players.  BC is usually a reasonably solid D1 program and a very good academic school.  Clemson is a perennial ACC soccer contender coached by Mike Noonan, who was a highly successful coach at Brown when my son played there.  Endicott is a decent academic institution, but has historically not been among the D3 soccer elite.  It just strikes me as a curious move for each of these student athletes...

Mr.Right

Maybe they are from the area or have friends that go there and most importantly they WANT TO PLAY. I agree it is a decision I probably would not make but everyone is different and frankly no matter where the kid goes to school if he his solid in the classroom and has a few connections to boot he will get the smae type of job if he had graduated from a BC or Clemson. They factor this stuff in and honestly we are seeing more and more of this every year because kids want to play. It's just to bad some of the clubs / academy teams give the kid / parent a much bigger head than they should have. The only shame is they did not start their careers at the D3 level.