FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scandihoovian

RFB-

I think you know how much respect the vast majority of the posters here have for Redlands success in the conference.  I believe the problem many people have with the claim of Redlands having "owned it" for the past 15 years is that it clashes with LaVerne's success between 1993-95, a three year span in which the Leos flat out dominated the rest of the conference.  I think your claim of ownership gives pause to those of us who watched those LaVerne teams - as their great success occurred within your fifteen year time frame.  Redlands has indeed been very successful, but '''ownership" to me implies that no one else enjoyed great success during that time.  Just my two cents...

Speaking of LaVerne, I'm trying to figure out if there have ever been ULV posters on this board.  Any Leo lurkers out there?  I bring it up because many people on the board expect LaVerne to field a strong team this year.

RFB

Scandihoovian,

I speak from experience as I played against all of those Laverne teams. They were very good, no doubt about it. The 1995 Laverne team was sick and went 9-0 and missed the playoffs, go figure.

Laverne went to the 1994 playoffs and got blown out by St. Johns. I can understand losing to a better team but they did not help the SCIAC's reputation by trashing the hotel. The 1995 Laverne team was twice as better as the 1994 team, I feel they were left out because of how they represented the SCIAC off the field the year before. I know that Laverne team would have went deep in the playoffs, but it's just my opinion so who knows.

Laverne in 1996 was just as good and beat Chapman who was very good. We played Laverne at their home field, the last game of the season and won in overtime to re-capture the SCIAC championship after a three year abscence. It was the craziest game I have ever played in, I still flash back to that game every year around this time when fall/football is in the air.

Yes, Laverne dominated for those three years. But Redlands in 1996 put that streak to an end. Laverne was the heavy favorite that day and jumped out to a 14-0 lead. If they win that day it would have been four straight for them and who knows after that. They didn't get it done and have not been heard from in almost ten years while Redlands has went on a big run.

That sure looks like ownership to me.

RFB

OxyFan21

RFB,

We all respect what Redlands has done in the past.  Whether it be Oxy, Redlands, or whoever...come playoff time, we all should be cheering for our representative.  I seem to remember a lot of posters last fall showed support for Oxy regardless of their own affiliation.

Here's to a good season.  I stil think Oxy has the offensive firepower to win the league and advance far into the playoffs.  Who knows, a 1st round home game (again) would be great!

TigersFan aka OxyFan.

Browneagle64

S.C.I.A.C fans,

Is there any word on other teams like claremont, whittier, pomona, or La Vern? What do you guys project from their respective schedules? How would you guys project the outcome of the league this year?
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

dawgs57

I'll root for ay SCIAC school in the playoffs other than Cal Who.  No program that has accomplished less has ever talked more smack - EVER.

I'm cool with OXY - For the most part, their guys kept their mouths shut and just played - and when they did talk, it wasn't empty like the Who chumps.

;D
"Go play intramurals, Brother!  Go play intramurals."
-Dan Hawkins,   University of Colorado

scandihoovian

RFB-

I guess I'll have to respectfully disagree about the definition of ownership as it relates to LaVerne in the early 1990's.  You did indicate that LaVerne was on the verge of a fourth straight title until Redlands beat them in '96, a pretty strong record for a team you will not concede was in command of the conference.  I'll grant you that Redlands success since your senior year has been unparalleled in the conference, and I can see why you'd be especially proud of that.

Dawgs57-

In the two years or so that I have been reading this board you have essentially repeated your last post over and over again.  I find it ironic that someone so offended by supposed "trash talk" does little other than talk trash himself.  I am sure you have something better to offer the board.

paohca

Breaking news out of the Cal.Lutheran U.Football camp.

Vinnis Ezrins Stootsky did indeed report for football practice on time August 19,2005 and got his uniform.He brought his 2 wheel ice cream cart back to campus but will not start selling ice cream goodies until the other students return to campus August 27,2005.Briscoe "stomp" reported that Vilnis Mommy took him shopping for his new back to school clothes and needed supplies.   

dawgs57

You're right - but it's easy...and after a 6 month sabbatical, I have to get the juices flowing somehow.

I do rip on the Who a lot.  Probably more than necessary.   Let me clarify - trash talk on the board is one thing, talk on the field is something else entirely.  I never really understood the reason for telling a guy you were gonna put him on his back and that you were going to crush the other team when you clearly couldn't compete.  And it was a consistent theme.  If you don't understand it, I'm sorry, but I don't think I'm the only ex-Dawg that feels that way.

Unfortunately, it's all I have to dwell upon as D3 Football in Colorado is basically non-existent, and I rarely get out to So.Cal.  So it's just something you may have to put up with.

I really think that how I really feel and how it comes across about being offended by all the trash talk on the board can get confused.  I don't care all that much (I care a little) if people are ripping on Redlands.  Thats fine.  It's natural and this stuff goes in cycles.

I'm not in the SCIAC loop so if some of the posts seem a devoid of any real depth - oh well. 

Every program has something different to hang its' helmet on at any one point in time.  At this point, Bulldog Alumni have our historical / cyclical performances, and we will beat that dead horse until the winds of fortune blow back through The Runner.  And WHEN that happens, we'll see if the OXY fans stick around here to dwell on their own potentially dominant run.
"Go play intramurals, Brother!  Go play intramurals."
-Dan Hawkins,   University of Colorado

scandihoovian

dawgs57-

I appreciate your response, and I hope the SCIAC SIDs continue to improve so that you can keep up with what's going on out here.  I know that Whittier and LaVerne's sites have improved a great deal in the last year.  Redlands site is still the class of the conference, but at least there are 3-4 other conference schools with decent sites now.

I agree. it will be intersting to see what kind of staying power the new Oxy posters have.

oldgiant

The improvements to the football site at Whittier are to be commended.  Coach Carlson and his staff have been working very hard to upgrade all aspects of the football prgram at Whittier.  With 90+ players reporting for the start of practice, Whittier is continuing on the right track.

paohca

// The California Lutheran University Kingsmen have a new webpage under construction and when it becomes available for release it will be posted.

RFB

PitDawg

Pomona has a Scrimmage vs. Mt San Jacinto JC Thursday, anyone going?

paohca

California Lutheran University Kingsmen will scrimmage Santa Barbara City College at Santa Barbara 6:30 pm Saturday August 27,2005.Be there for all the action!

EagleRockKid

And Occidental will scrimmage College of the Canyons,
who ended last season as the #1 nationally rated JC
team. They will meet at 6:00 pm on the Oxy field on
Friday, 08-26-05