MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: cold_case on February 23, 2007, 08:52:57 AM
Mr. Know-it-all, instead of being a sarcastic boob, why don't you just tell Coach, unless you don't know tha answer yourself, hence, the Mr. Know-it-all tag must be lifted?
How am I supposed to know when I suspect the MAC doesn't even know?!

The MAC has been behind the ball since the day the Landmark Conference was HINTED about. They have three more schools looking to jump ship... and they pretend that they are going to be ok. The only thing they have going for them right now is the fact the NCAA isn't going to take away the AQ's right away (believe they have two years to fix their home before losing those).

And I will be the first to tell you I don't know everything... but you are the one who put the "title" on. Thanks!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ColonelJohn4Life

Don't let CC get to ya, D-Mac.  He enjoys playing devil's advocate.  Or, he might actually be Satan.  Not sure.

And hey, congrats, Scranton is now officially freed of all their Freedom men's basketball duties.  They're yours!
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Warren Thompson on February 22, 2007, 02:20:34 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 22, 2007, 01:37:06 PM
Quote from: ronk on February 20, 2007, 10:50:12 PM
Who decides and how in which region the Landmark(men and women)will be?
Does the MAC Commonwealth lose its pool A by retaining only 5 teams?
Will they move the women's final this year to Mass Mutual instead of Blake?

Yes it will.  In fact, 5 members is not even an official conference.

Whom will they invite to join them?

Ralph:

I've been told that Lycoming is moving to the Commonwealth from the Freedom.
No official word on the new seventh member.

At the same time, who knows just how this will shake out? Or, perhaps, those who do know aren't talking ... yet.  ;)

WT, thanks.  This topic should make for some interesting off-season banter.  The 2-year "probation" that the NCAA gives to retain the AQ's will drive this, especially as everyone observes the demise of the AWCC.

muchacho

Matt...which CAC teams would you like to see Catholic continue to play as out of conference games.
Mary Wash, Marymount, and York would be teams I would like to see a rivalry continue with.
I'll be happy to be done with Gallaudet. I could go either way on Salisbury and St. Marys, and although there isn't really a rivalry with Hood yet, I think it would be good to find a place for them on the schedule if they remain competitive.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: ColonelJohn4Life on February 23, 2007, 08:34:43 AM
Quote from: Warren Thompson on February 21, 2007, 03:12:05 PM
Who, me, a "detractor? Not really, but I am bemused by so many venues leaving the MAC for what they anticipate will be greener pastures.

Warren, you have this knack for saying what I'm thinking...

And yet the league hasn't even had its first game yet, nor the forum reached the 5th page...
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Dave "d-mac" McHugh on February 23, 2007, 09:02:35 AM
Quote from: cold_case on February 23, 2007, 08:52:57 AM
Mr. Know-it-all, instead of being a sarcastic boob, why don't you just tell Coach, unless you don't know tha answer yourself, hence, the Mr. Know-it-all tag must be lifted?
How am I supposed to know when I suspect the MAC doesn't even know?!

The MAC has been behind the ball since the day the Landmark Conference was HINTED about. They have three more schools looking to jump ship... and they pretend that they are going to be ok. The only thing they have going for them right now is the fact the NCAA isn't going to take away the AQ's right away (believe they have two years to fix their home before losing those).

And I will be the first to tell you I don't know everything... but you are the one who put the "title" on. Thanks!

While nothing definite is being noised abroad, there's noticeably something in the air about the future of the MAC. Whether this "something" has substance and becomes a story with legs is still unclear (at least to me).

saratoga

CJ: If you're not interested in talking about Scranton or the "Landmine" any longer...why keep showing up? I mean let's be honest, it's killing you that Wilkes is left behind with that other school down the street & your games to now get excited about are with Manhattenville, Arcadia & the various Bible Institutes. Who knows, perhaps Luzerne CCC will be a new rival in another year or so. Hang in there & remember the new Wilkes battlecry: Beat Del.Valley!

Matt Letourneau

Quote from: muchacho on February 23, 2007, 09:43:54 AM
Matt...which CAC teams would you like to see Catholic continue to play as out of conference games.
Mary Wash, Marymount, and York would be teams I would like to see a rivalry continue with.
I'll be happy to be done with Gallaudet. I could go either way on Salisbury and St. Marys, and although there isn't really a rivalry with Hood yet, I think it would be good to find a place for them on the schedule if they remain competitive.

To be honest, the only teams I'd have much interest in still playing are York and Hood.   Catholic and Mary Washington have had great games over the years, but if I were the Cardinals I'd be tired of playing in that ridiculous gym where there has been safety problems over the years.  Plus, I'm just tired of Rod Wood. 

I'd be really wary of Marymount, too--way too much drama.  Always something.  The funny thing is that they think they're some kind of rival, I guess based on the fact that they got one big win against us in 2002 when we were in the top 5.  But I hate playing in their gym because their scorers table always makes mistakes in their favor and nobody knows the rules.  As for the other teams in the league, I'm with you..rather not play Gallaudet any more, ambivalent on the others.

I think York and Hood will be quality teams year in year out because they're good programs and seem to be attracting good kids.    Be interesting to see how the championship game goes with Hood--you've got a natural connection there already with a former Cardinals starting PG's dad as the coach!

Pat Coleman

Scranton folks, as long as we're sharing our list of teams we don't want to play anymore, how about yours? :)

I am keeping my list private but I did share it with someone who has some influence on scheduling.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Matt Letourneau

I was thinking about whether I should even go there, but then I figured, what the heck, the league is over after today anyway, and its just my personal opinion...

But you know what?  Really, I just want them to put together the best non-conference schedule possible that will help them get that Pool B bid next year.

susquejamma

Over/under on amount of time before the Landmark Conference's board has more posts than the Commonwealth's: start of 2007-08 season

I'm going with the under.

Coach K

Doesn't Arcadia slip into the MAC Freedom next year? That gives the Freedom 7 teams, with Scranton and Drew leaving, and adding them. Weakens the conference towards the top.

The Landmark should be a quality basketball league right out of the gate!

ronk

Pat,
    I don't want to play anyone that we don't have any connection with like recent foes Clarkson, Hartwick, Pratt Institute, Chestnut Hill. Can skip FDU since we'll still be in New Jersey with Drew.
    Would like to still play Kings and Wilkes. Don't ever remember not playing Kings twice a year, even when we weren't in the same conference.
Maybe a Holiday tournament revival.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: ronk on February 24, 2007, 08:09:06 PM
Pat,
    I don't want to play anyone that we don't have any connection with like recent foes Clarkson, Hartwick, Pratt Institute, Chestnut Hill. Can skip FDU since we'll still be in New Jersey with Drew.
    Would like to still play Kings and Wilkes. Don't ever remember not playing Kings twice a year, even when we weren't in the same conference.
Maybe a Holiday tournament revival.

I would love to continue to play Kings and Wilkes as well...but don't think it will happen in the short term. Next year can't get here soon enough...
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Matt Letourneau

Oh yes it can!

Catholic will be hosting a sectional next weekend, with Lincoln playing Alvernia and the Cardinals taking on Messiah.  Should be some great basketball.