Shirts, and stickers and decals oh my!

Started by cawcdad, November 01, 2007, 05:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Passed a quite tall young woman wearing an Illinois Wesleyan volleyball shirt on my run around Lake Harriet in Minneapolis on Sunday. (I only passed her because we were going opposite directions, otherwise she would have passed me.)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

An Emory license plate holder on a Dodge 1.5 ton pickup truck in Tyler TX.

Ralph Turner

On Elkhorn Avenue in Estes Park Colorado,

a guy wearing a Luther College T-shirt and

an incoming freshman football player at Nebraska Wesleyan, wearing an NWU shirt.

Ralph Turner

At the Alpine Visitors Center on Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, today, a guy wearing a St Olaf's T-shirt, a guy wearing a St Norbert's basketball T-shirt, and for good measure, a Colorado College shirt, to make 3.

Later in the day, an older couple wearing Wartburg shirts...

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Craziest thing I saw (wife needs to share me the pictures)... while driving the Baltimore Beltway (I-695) on a Friday afternoon... a bus that had a livery completely decked out in Thiel stuff. I assume it was a Thiel bus. Gave me a great opportunity, while trying to figure out what they were doing in that location, to give my wife an idea of how you say that school's name. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on August 06, 2018, 02:28:33 PM
Craziest thing I saw (wife needs to share me the pictures)... while driving the Baltimore Beltway (I-695) on a Friday afternoon... a bus that had a livery completely decked out in Thiel stuff. I assume it was a Thiel bus. Gave me a great opportunity, while trying to figure out what they were doing in that location, to give my wife an idea of how you say that school's name. :)

PRONUNCIATION 101!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

LOL Yep! It is one of my favorites to tell people as well. Though, Wooster, WPI (long version) are up there as well.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Mr. Ypsi

Since I have never heard it aloud, I'll bite.  I take it it is not the 'obvious' Theel.  Perhaps, 'tile'?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Teal

We have talked about them on Hoopsville from time to time, Ypsi... come on, now! :)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on August 08, 2018, 06:33:29 PM
Teal

We have talked about them on Hoopsville from time to time, Ypsi... come on, now! :)

Sorry, I'm only a sporadic listener, and obviously missed those shows.  To the best of my knowledge, IWU has never played "Teal", so had to go by sight and guesswork.  After a whole career at a school with a high proportion of foreign students, I pride myself on pretty good guesses on pronunciations, but it is less than infallible. :P

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ypsi - I challenge you to tune into every show this year ... could be invaluable... for both of us. :)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on August 08, 2018, 10:10:10 PM
Ypsi - I challenge you to tune into every show this year ... could be invaluable... for both of us. :)

Sorry, Dave.  I really respect what you do, but aside from live sporting events (and SOME NPR shows), non-musical radio tends to work better than Sominex on me! :-[ 

That I EVER listen to Hoopsville is a tribute to your broadcast, but don't push for miracles! ;)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Well in that case I promise to do two things:

- Play more music, if not the entire broadcast
- Help you go to sleep :)

That said... I don't listen to much talk show based stuff either. It's my dirty little secret.

Oops.

Caz Bombers

this last page got me looking at the D3Hoops standings page to see if I could pronounce every name...there are some interesting ones out there in Division III for sure, I think I can say all the New York/New England/New Jersey, most of the Mid-Atlantic, but I got stuck on ones like Redlands and Northland, do you hit that A or is it like Maryland...nothing sounded right when I tried to say Gustavus Adolphus, Fontbonne or Averett.

FCGrizzliesGrad

That should be the next feature to be added to team pages. A little audio button like on wikipedia where you can hear a clip of the pronunciation.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer