South Region Rankings and Playoffs

Started by Ralph Turner, February 01, 2009, 04:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

UT-D and UMHB both lost to ETBU; would have to think UT-D is a lock for a pool C nonetheless.   So you definitely have

ETBU (ASC Pool A)
Trinity/Southwestern winner (SCAC Pool A)
UT-D (ASC Pool C)
and then what?   Does the ASC get three teams in?   If HX wins the SAA they could get bused in again.  If Oglethorpe (#1 seed) wins they could go somewhere closer to home and fly in a fourth team.

UT-D probably hosts again regardless.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on February 25, 2018, 08:54:53 AM
UT-D and UMHB both lost to ETBU; would have to think UT-D is a lock for a pool C nonetheless.   So you definitely have

ETBU (ASC Pool A)
Trinity/Southwestern winner (SCAC Pool A)
UT-D (ASC Pool C)
and then what?   Does the ASC get three teams in?   If HX wins the SAA they could get bused in again.  If Oglethorpe (#1 seed) wins they could go somewhere closer to home and fly in a fourth team.

UT-D probably hosts again regardless.
ETBU might host, too.

I believe that the ASC had 3 teams in 2004, HPU, HSU and McM with Trinity.

Ron Boerger

The d3h projection has UTD hosting, and UMHB never makes it to the table.  It would make my life so much easier if Trinity got to host, but alas.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

First run -- Assume the highest ranked team in a conference wins the Pool A bid

South       
1   Mary Hardin-Baylor   19-2   20-2  Pool A ASC
2   Emory & Henry   18-3   18-3          Pool A ODAC
3   Austin   16-4   17-4                  Pool A SCAC
4   Texas-Dallas   17-4   17-4          Pool C ASC
5   Trinity (Texas)   16-4   18-4          Pool C SCAC
6   Millsaps   18-4   18-4                  Pool C SAA
7   Oglethorpe   17-5   17-5          Pool C SAA
8   Guilford   16-5   16-5                  Pool C ODAC
9   East Texas Baptist   18-2   19-2  Pool C ASC

NR   Berea KY  19-4 14-1                   Pool A USAC

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ron Boerger

Not sure why Trinity jumped Austin ... records (primary and secondary) the same, h2h 1-1, AC 3-3 vs RROs, TU 2-2, AC's SOS .518 to TU .513.   It'll all wash out after the SCAC tourney but is curious.    TLU playing much better ball at the end of the season, may not get in the rankings but have the tournament at their place where they are dangerous (and have a vocal crowd turn out).   And then I look at their web site and see that their winning streak was broken by Southwestern thanks to a second half where they shot under 30%. 

ronk

Quote from: Ron Boerger on February 15, 2019, 08:40:41 AM
Not sure why Trinity jumped Austin ... records (primary and secondary) the same, h2h 1-1, AC 3-3 vs RROs, TU 2-2, AC's SOS .518 to TU .513.   It'll all wash out after the SCAC tourney but is curious.    TLU playing much better ball at the end of the season, may not get in the rankings but have the tournament at their place where they are dangerous (and have a vocal crowd turn out).   And then I look at their web site and see that their winning streak was broken by Southwestern thanks to a second half where they shot under 30%.

Agreed that a change shouldn't have taken place as u have presented it; does it mean that they got it wrong the 1st week and are correcting in the 2nd? If not, what then? Don't have a dog in this race but everyone should want consistent reasoning across all the regionals for rankings, pool C selections, bracketing, and hosting.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

You're right, those resumes are near identical.  The only thing I can think is that loss to Southwestern?  Plus Trinity won the most recent meeting.  I mean it's a super thin difference.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ralph Turner

South       
1   Mary Hardin-Baylor   20-2   21-2
2   Emory & Henry   20-3   20-3
3   Texas-Dallas   19-4   19-4
4   Emory   17-5   17-5  thinking that Emory finishes second in the UAA at 11-3 in conference and Chicago loses its rematch with Wash U.
5   Trinity (Texas)   17-4   19-4
6   Austin   17-4   19-4
7   Millsaps   20-4   20-4
8   Oglethorpe   19-5   19-5
9   Guilford   18-5   18-5

Quick and dirty...

Assuming the top team wins the AQ  (Bold)  the italics project to Pool C.

I think that the South will get 3 Pool C bids (optimist that I am.)

jekelish

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 15, 2019, 04:04:51 PM

You're right, those resumes are near identical.  The only thing I can think is that loss to Southwestern?  Plus Trinity won the most recent meeting.  I mean it's a super thin difference.

I've been wondering if the fact that Austin College beat UTD without Victoria Pena might, at least in the back of the committee's minds, taint that one for them a little bit, so maybe it's downgraded some?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jekelish on February 15, 2019, 05:02:49 PM

I've been wondering if the fact that Austin College beat UTD without Victoria Pena might, at least in the back of the committee's minds, taint that one for them a little bit, so maybe it's downgraded some?

They're not supposed to talk about individual players and injuries, although I've certainly heard hearsay reports that they sometimes do.

jekelish

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 15, 2019, 05:11:23 PM

They're not supposed to talk about individual players and injuries, although I've certainly heard hearsay reports that they sometimes do.

Oh, no doubt... but it's human nature to at least THINK about those things, and when you think about it, it's bound to influence you at least a little in most cases. Hell, I'm an AC fan and even I've had it in the back of my head, so I imagine an impartial person would as well!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jekelish on February 15, 2019, 05:12:57 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 15, 2019, 05:11:23 PM

Oh, no doubt... but it's human nature to at least THINK about those things, and when you think about it, it's bound to influence you at least a little in most cases. Hell, I'm an AC fan and even I've had it in the back of my head, so I imagine an impartial person would as well!

I know the men's committee has, in the past, specifically brought some of these things up to address them and remind the members not to factor it in.  I don't know how well that works, but with resumes so close like those two, just about anything can tip the balance.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is now or never.

The last week of the Division III basketball regular season is here. Conferences will decide who will earn automatic bids to the NCAA Tournaments and teams try and position themselves for at-large bids, hosting opportunities, and bracketing considerations.

For teams who have been faltering, this is the last chance to right the ship. For programs which have underachieved, this is the last opportunity to live up to expectations. And of course for those with Cinderella dreams, this is the chance to try on the glass slipper.

Sunday's Hoopsville will cover it all in a special, extended, episode which for the first time (outside of Marathon programming) will feature a guest from each of the eight regions. We will also discuss which teams may be on the bubble, who has most likely secured at-large bid, and which teams need to win the AQs. Plus, we talk about how regions as we know it now could very well change in the future.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's show will hit the air at 6:00 p.m. ET. It can be watched live right here: http://bit.ly/2EeG5ZE (and simulcast on Facebook Live and Periscope).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options below.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Katherine Bixby, Johns Hopkins women's coach
- Jonathan Crosthwaite, Occidental men's senior
- Marc Brown, NJCU men's coach
- Justin LeBlanc, Millsaps women's coach
- Jamie Seward, SUNY New Paltz women's coach
- Marcos Echevarria, No. 17 Nichols men's senior
- Herman Carmichael, La Roches men's coach
- Klay Knueppel, Wisconsin Luthern women's coach
- Brad Bankston, ODAC Commissioner
- Pat Coleman & Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com (Bubble Talk)

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville