New rules

Started by JACKET84, October 28, 2008, 03:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Hixon doesn't think there will be much impact because in the grand scheme of things, the men didn't change much. 30 second shot clock which will keep the games from dragging out (and an extra possession at the end of games) and got rid of the closely guarded rule (which I hate that change). Otherwise... status quo for the most part.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

John Gleich

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 28, 2015, 02:37:16 PM
Hixon doesn't think there will be much impact because in the grand scheme of things, the men didn't change much. 30 second shot clock which will keep the games from dragging out (and an extra possession at the end of games) and got rid of the closely guarded rule (which I hate that change). Otherwise... status quo for the most part.

I agree, I don't like the elimination for "closely guarded" either. Now, in late game situations, the only thing to do is to foul or try to get a jump ball. This also enables a team to have one player hold the ball in late game situations, instead of necessitating passes (which always have a chance of going out of bounds or being stolen).
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Completely agree. I was basically told that since they were lowering the clock to 30 seconds they didn't need the closely guarded rule (WBB doesn't have it, but I have heard coaches were asking to add it - now they are frustrated because the men got rid of it). Nothing will keep an offense from simply dribbling the ball knowing they will have to be fouled to get the ball back - great, more fouling! Nothing rewards the defense for doing a good job! Fouling isn't a good job, but it will become an absolute necessity now and I hate that.

Nothing like lowering the clock to speed up the game while at the same time giving the offense the perfect stall tactic back.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

Getting rid of the closely guarded rule has to be one of the strangest rule changes in NCAA history. What were they thinking?

Dave, I never did hear what happens if you are pressed to get the ball  into the front court and you call a timeout to avoid the 10 second call. Is the clock reset or not? I assume it is if there is a foul called.   

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Clock does NOT reset if you call your own timeout. The only time it will reset will be an opponent's foul, tipped out of bounds (I think), items that are not the offense's fault. Though, to be honest I know that is the case on the women's side... I can't remember off the top of my head on the men's side. I am also writing this as I rush out the door to get to a client this afternoon. I will be putting together a Hoopsville rules special... we won't cover everything, but things like this will probably be on there.

Just Bill

2015-16 NCAA Men's Basketball Instructional Video (rule changes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkm6mrpHpYk
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Due to all the changes in basketball this year, I put a special Hoopsville show together. It isn't anything incredible visually, but I talk to members of the rules committees and an AD about the changes: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/rules-special

mailsy

I saw this article about some new rules for the D1 NIT tournament. What are the chances these rules get implemented in the next couple of seasons?

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2019-02-22/college-basketball-experimental-rules-be-used-2019-nit?amp

Some potential extra costs to D3 institutions?
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Honestly, I'd love to see college ball (and all basketball) move closer to the FIBA rules.  Obviously, I'd want some compromise between the three (college, FIBA, NBA), but I think it's better to have a consistent set of rules at the highest level.

I love the free-flow out of bounds and goaltending rules from FIBA.  Not sure I'd want to go to a full 16 foot lane, but maybe 14?

I presume they're experimenting with the FT reset to provide the advantage of quarters that coaches like, without sacrificing media timeouts that TV partners need.  It could be a best of both worlds scenario.

A FIBA 3pt line is fine with me - and I suspect that won't be a real stretch for the NCAA at some point.

Resetting the shot clock feels like more headache for clock operators and more chances to slow the game down (with mistakes and referee corrections, etc).  I'm not sure it would save much time in the long run.

The resetting of the fouls at 10 minutes feels like something that could happen soon.  Lots of people want to move to quarters and this would be a good solution to the problem.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere