FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Taff and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

jknezek

Given the NCAA recommendations for contact sports, especially testing within 72 hours of a competition, I don't think you have to worry about any NCAA tournament games this Fall unless things drastically change. While the NCAA isn't requiring teams to follow these recommendations, the liability for them, should they run an NCAA sponsored tournament, without following their own recommendations, would be interesting. Unless the cost of testing falls, it makes an already expensive NCAA tournament even more so. It's an easy cut in a year when you are already going to have a runt of a field and are cautious about money.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd peg the chances of having a Division III Tournament in any sport during the Fall slate at less than 10%, and every time another team or conference announces they are giving up, it drops even more.

jamtod

Quote from: jknezek on July 20, 2020, 09:28:20 AM
Given the NCAA recommendations for contact sports, especially testing within 72 hours of a competition, I don't think you have to worry about any NCAA tournament games this Fall unless things drastically change. While the NCAA isn't requiring teams to follow these recommendations, the liability for them, should they run an NCAA sponsored tournament, without following their own recommendations, would be interesting. Unless the cost of testing falls, it makes an already expensive NCAA tournament even more so. It's an easy cut in a year when you are already going to have a runt of a field and are cautious about money.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd peg the chances of having a Division III Tournament in any sport during the Fall slate at less than 10%, and every time another team or conference announces they are giving up, it drops even more.

So Alabama is going to claim the AP D3 National Championship this year, huh?

jknezek

Quote from: jamtod on July 20, 2020, 09:54:17 AM
Quote from: jknezek on July 20, 2020, 09:28:20 AM

So Alabama is going to claim the AP D3 National Championship this year, huh?

Probably. They claim every other one that can be mildly contested. Completely ridiculous.

justafan12

I have heard there is some form of meeting with ASC folks on Friday to make a decision on playing this fall.  I read yesterday that the NWC is postponing. 

Etchglow

What are the odds that the cru will repost more games if they don't have a season lol? 

Saw UMHB had a WR juco commit the other day. 

Romello Cook 6'3" 200, runs a 4.5 40. 
https://www.hudl.com/profile/4732671/Romello-Cook

Toby Taff

Quote from: Etchglow on July 24, 2020, 11:26:12 AM
What are the odds that the cru will repost more games if they don't have a season lol? 

Saw UMHB had a WR juco commit the other day. 

Romello Cook 6'3" 200, runs a 4.5 40. 
https://www.hudl.com/profile/4732671/Romello-Cook
If there is a season, UMHB might have the fastest receiving corps in D3.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

cover2

Hearing that the season will he moved to spring, play half of normal schedule and no eligibility will be lost.  We'll see if that becomes official.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: cover2 on July 24, 2020, 10:07:20 PM
Hearing that the season will he moved to spring, play half of normal schedule and no eligibility will be lost.  We'll see if that becomes official.

Officially deferred to spring, but no explicit mention made of the half schedule (which would seem to be allowed by the NCAA under the already announced pandemic adjustments):  https://twitter.com/ASC_sports/status/1286853319210807297

Pat Coleman

It would be difficult for a conference to guarantee that could happen eight months from now so it's probably wise to keep it out of a news release.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

UMHB03

Half season? As in 5 games? That's barely half the conference opponents. I'm not even sure what point there would be to that.
2016, 2018, and 2021 D3 Football National Champions

Pat Coleman

It wouldn't cost a season of eligibility for anyone, so there's that.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

UMHB03

I'm not sure many players would want to put in the time and effort, and take the injury risk just to play a meaningless 5 games, so loss of a year's eligibility might be a moot point.

Etchglow

Quote from: UMHB03 on July 25, 2020, 12:57:15 PM
I'm not sure many players would want to put in the time and effort, and take the injury risk just to play a meaningless 5 games, so loss of a year's eligibility might be a moot point.

I don't know, when you have as many guys on the roster as UMHB does I bet they could find enough. Great opportunity for fringe players to get more experience and maybe show out to get moved up from jv to varsity.

UMHB03

Quote from: Etchglow on July 25, 2020, 03:57:13 PM
Quote from: UMHB03 on July 25, 2020, 12:57:15 PM

I don't know, when you have as many guys on the roster as UMHB does I bet they could find enough. Great opportunity for fringe players to get more experience and maybe show out to get moved up from jv to varsity.
Yeah, they could definitely field a team of guys trying to earn a spot, but without a national title, or even a conference title on the line (how could there be if they only face half the teams in the conference?), it would definitely feel like the D3 equivalent to an NFL pre-season.

Hopefully they'll try to have a full, legitimate season, or at least play a full conference slate.