MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

Last year, the Bears should of beaten NYCCT, but Pat Cummings was right that they shot horribly in the game. McGarvey had a bad day (2-14; 1-12 for 3's), as did McEvily (3-10 for 3's). For the team, they shot 36% for the game, and 14% (4-29) for 3's. However, last year was the first year without Dennis Stanton, and I believe that the team was still transforming itself to where it is today. The "Bear Five" (as I would like to call them), are a year older and last year's experience was a maturation process in how they execute their offense today (sans Stanton) and their belief in each other. They share the ball well, and have good players coming off the bench. The Bears defense continues to be pretty good. Last year, they forced 19 TO's on NYCCT compared to their 8. Their defense should play an important role on how well the Farmingdale guards can shoot.  On the other hand, Farmingdale is so guard oriented with a team depth of 8/9 players.  This game will be Farmingdale's 1st experience in the tournament, as well as an away game for them. They are a running/shooting team averaging 88 shots/game, which includes 24-3's/game. The Bears average 77 shots/game, which includes 18-3's/game. If you live by the 3's, you can quickly die by the 3's. However, if you keep a team in the game long enough, then you are looking for trouble. That is my biggest fear for the Bears.

The Bears should win by 10+, and move on to Norfolk/West Virginia.

r.w. mcnickels

Quote from: bearsfan1 on February 27, 2006, 11:22:52 PM
I was just wondering how many people think UC has a chance at winning more than one game.

Ursinus can win more than one game because guard play is such a key to winning NCAA games -- and the Bears have excellent guards.  If McGarvey, Shattuck, and McEvily play tight defense and shoot the way they're capable, the Bears can go on a run and win a few games.  But before anyone starts thinking about Virginia Wesleyan, Ursinus has to take care of business at home against a team it should beat.

Ursinus needs to prove that someone other than F&M can go deep in NCAAs.  That's been a knock on this conference since its inception, but I hope the Bears can earn the Centennial some greater national respect.

Reserved Seat

Ursinus needs to prove that someone other than F&M can go deep in NCAAs.  That's been a knock on this conference since its inception, but I hope the Bears can earn the Centennial some greater national respect.

Hopefully, Ursinus  can earn some respect for the Centennial Conference.  As I said several days ago, the CC representative has to win several games to start to remove the tag that the CC is a weak league.

diplomaniac1

Bears Fans -

Your team now has the honor of being in the NCAA Division III tournament and of representing the Centennial Conference.  Good Luck!

As fans, you also have a unique opportunity to follow your team and a responsibility to reflect good sportsmanship (or is that "fanship") on behalf of all members of the Centennial Conference. Remember to enjoy all aspects of the tournament - at home and on the road.

I have been to 9 sweet sixteens, 5 elite eights, and 3 final fours following my F&M Diplomats and it never gets old. It is always an amazing time and it leaves you wanting to go back for more! My advice to you is to truly enjoy every moment of the journey as you never know how soon your team and fans will have the reward of going back to the tournament. Some of my best times were spent on road at Rochester, Trinity, Rowan, Widener, etc.

At the risk of sounding like an "olde fogie", please remember it is only an athletic contest and to respect fans from the other teams and to establish a good comraderie with them. Finally, don't forget to acknowledge the hospitality and efforts of the host schools, fans, and cities.

Good luck and go Bears - represent the Centennial Conference well. Regards to all.

Eric

gordonmann

r.w. mcnickels

Eric,

Great comments.  I hope Ursinus advances far enough into the tournament to experience what a great ride it can be.

However, I can't agree with you that the trip to Trinity in '95 was a good time.  That was a bitter pill to swallow.

Best of luck to the Bears in the first round.

diplomaniac1

R. W. -

Yes, the final score of the F&M-Trinity game was a bitter pill for us Diplomat fans to swallow.

However, eveything else was outstanding - the amazing atmosphere, a packed house, many fans lined up to get into the second game, a nice arena, triple overtime overtime in the first game, lots of fans and noise, etc....

I guess that we can't have everything we want all of the time! Let's hope GRob has a good recruiting year. Regards,

Eric

bearsfan1

The closer this game gets, the more nervous I become for the Bears.  The team they are playing can shoot the lights out, lots of shooter on the team.  I think one saving grace is that Farmingdale has not played in front of a crowd of more than 500.  I think Helfferich Hall will definitely be pushing 1000 people tomorrow night.  Hopefully the place will be loud. Go Bears!

patcummings

bearsfan1

Oh I hope there is more than that, but I looked at the attendence from last years game and it was only 750 (I think that was wrong cause the place seemed packed).  I would love to see every row of the bleachers filled with cheering fans.

Reserved Seat

Does anyone know when, if ever, the Centennial Conference has had two representatives in the NCAA D3 tournament?  That is definitely a sign of respect for a league.  This year the PAC has two reps- Catholic and York, and the MAC Commonwealth has two--Messiah and Widener.
I continue to hope that the Bears can go deep in the tournament.

D.B. Cooper

RS: Apparently during 1993-99 the CC got that kind of respect. Admittedly there was a sea change since then perhaps coincidentally associated temporally with the rise & ever increasing prominence of this valued website & their analytical team prone to discounting & dissing even conference champs with 22-23 wins & giving them no consideration for at large berths. Below is a list of what things were like before that.

1999: F&M & JHU
1998: JHU & Muhl
1996: F&M & G-berg
1995: F&M & Muhl
1994: F&M & JHU
1993: F&M & JHU (1st year of CC)

To borrow from "All in the Family's"  theme -- "Those were the Days" which I wonder if can ever be seen again.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: mrmxyztplk on March 02, 2006, 09:57:24 AM
RS: Apparently during 1993-99 the CC got that kind of respect. Admittedly there was a sea change since then perhaps coincidentally associated temporally with the rise & ever increasing prominence of this valued website & their analytical team prone to discounting & dissing even conference champs with 22-23 wins & giving them no consideration for at large berths.

Say what?

Pat Coleman

It's probably more likely associated with the fact that the region was no longer guaranteed six to eight bids to the tournament, as it was during most of that period. Or it might be better associated with a change in the regional chair at that time, no?

I would love to have the influence over at-large bids that you apparently think we possess.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: mrmxyztplk on February 27, 2006, 10:15:47 AM
RS: JHU beat FDU by 40 in the 1st round in '98.

That's a joke. FDU-Madison didn't belong in the field that year after losing in the MAC first round. Goucher deserved that spot. But Goucher wasn't on the committee ...
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.