MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I realize the 2006-2007 season has not come to a close... but its not too early to look ahead and that means a new conference in the Mid-Atlantic or Atlantic Region (Pat is so thoughtfully linking this posting board to both regions!).

So... welcome to Catholic, Drew, Goucher, Juniata, Merchant Marine, Moravian, Scranton, and Susquehanna to the new "Landmark Conference." While I don't think an "official" website has been launched, Wikipedia already has a page about the conference, so enjoy the quick read.

Now... some news to know:

- Schedule:
After much debate (from what I heard), the conference has decided on a combination of a Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday schedule.
Half of the schools wanted on version, the other wanted half. I know a tentative schedule has been decided on with at least dates... with the first games taking place on Dec. 1st, 4th, and 5th between travel partnerts and the final game will be Feb. 23rd - again between travel partners. The first true travel weekend will be Jan. 11th and 12th.
Also, the first game of the weekend will be played in the evenings... the second during the afternoon (unless it is on Saturday and a school gets permission to play at night as well).

- Travel Partners are as follows:
Catholic & Goucher
Juniata & Susquehanna
Scranton & Moravian
Merchant Marine & Drew

- Conference Championship Tournaments:
I believe this will only involve the top four teams with the first round being played on Wednesday, Feb. 27th at the higher seeds.
The championship game will be played on Saturday, March 1st - also at the higher seeds.
Unless it changes, this conference will have to withstand two years of Pool B - no automatic qualification - for two years.

I think that about covers it for now... let the posting... begin!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

susquejamma

I posted this in the Freedom section, but thought it might be also useful it upload the new logo in here.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yep... that is indeed the logo... just haven't had a copy to show :).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Warren Thompson

d-mac:

For what it's worth, some folks are referring to this new collation as the "Landmine Conference."

Pat Coleman

People also refer to the CAC as the "caca" and there are various other nicknames for other leagues.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Salem, VA

d-mac your already leaving us at the cac's we love your insight but i guess it was going to happen eventually. 

Very intresting how the landmark will be different from the cac's. 

good luck

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Salem... considering I post and read many sites and boards... I assure you I will not be leaving the CAC board!

Warren - I am sure there are PLENTY more ideas out there!

Ralph Turner

The Landmark and Pool B should not be much of a problem in 2007-08.

Maryville TN has always been there.  Lincoln is moving to D2.  The NathCon seemed to eliminate all but Aurora, which was a Pool B in the old NIIC.  The Pres AC takes its 7 teams to Pool A next year, so that is basically a wash.  Clarke moves to the NAIA.  Colorado College moves to the SCAC.  What happens with the NEAC and the various Northeast independents is worth watching. 

The thing that I want to see is what the calculations for the Pool B bids do in 2007-08.  This year, the calculation was one team shy in the numerator of providing a 4th Pool B.  That at-large bid went over to Pool C.

In 2008-09,  it is a different matter.  The NAthCon takes 12 teams out of the numerator in Pool B into Pool A, but Aurora with them as well.  That is worth about 1.3 bids as the calculation suggests, and only 2 Pool B bids may be allocated for the tourney in 2009.  Is that the year that Chapman sneaks?

cold_case

Hey, new digs.
Whatever happened to Marco Sutaro?
Gotta love that Landmark Logo.

saratoga

I'm going to be interested in seeing who Scranton & the other Landmark members schedule for the "non-con" games. Will they start with some old names in the old conference or are those options non-existant? Will they turn to the Centennial for a few? This will be interesting as new schedules need to be developed.

ronk

Who decides and how in which region the Landmark(men and women)will be?
Does the MAC Commonwealth lose its pool A by retaining only 5 teams?
Will they move the women's final this year to Mass Mutual instead of Blake?

Pat Coleman

Until the league gets an AQ they probably won't change the regions of its members. But I would put it in the Atlantic. That region is small and could use some balancing.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

gordonmann

Cold_Case:

Marco Scutaro...ha.

I'm still here, though I abandoned that moniker.  Still have a soft spot for him, though.

ColonelJohn4Life

Might I suggest Gordon "Royce Ring" Mann?

Pat, don't forget about the PAC.  Y'know, the Poor A** Conference.  (Pathetic Athletic Conference?)

No AQ for 2 years?  I forgot about that prospect.  Though, I imagine the selection committee might like slightly more favorably on a solid "conference champ" here.

Is it too soon for a "It is now 7:45 AM, Eastern Standard Time, MAC Freedom is gone, Landmine is here... and Scranton still sucks!" ??  Too soon?  Alright...
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

NEPAFAN

Glad the detractors....WT and CJ have posted on the first page of the Landmark Board....thanks guys!
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi