North Park      11-7
Augustana       10-8
Il. Wesleyan    10-8
Wheaton         10-8
Elmhurst         10-8
North Central   9-9
Carthage         7-11
Millikin           5-13

**Not even going to try and attempt the tie breakers.

Next week's matchups:

North Park vs North Central (2 @ NP, 1 @ NCC)

Elmhurst vs Illinois Wesleyan (2 @ IWU, 1 @ Elmhurst)

Wheaton vs Carthage (2 @ Carthage, 1 @ Wheaton)

Millikin vs Augie (3 @ Augie)

"90% of the game is half mental." - Yogi Berra

augie_superfan

Updated:

Team                         In-Tourney             Host
Augustana                     70.7%               18.8%
Carthage                        1.2%                 0.0%
Elmhurst                       68.0%                15.6%
Illinois Wesleyan            64.5%                16.4%
Millikin                           0.0%                  0.0%
North Central                 40.2%                 2.3%
North Park                     88.3%                41.4%
Wheaton                        67.2%                 5.5%

Basically getting to 12 wins gets you in.  Augustana has a very good chance of hosting which would've seemed crazy a few weeks ago.  Hopefully these percentages are correct, the tiebreakers get pretty fuzzy at times.  These also take into account a 50-50 chance of winning any game.  Should be a great last weekend.

Mr. Ypsi

Carthage has a tie-break loss against all contenders except IWU.  Sorry Big Poppa, but I can't root for you to pull off the miracle!  We can't both make it, and I'm sure you understand who I'm rooting for! ;D

For Carthage to make their 497th consecutive tourney, they must:

a. sweep Wheaton.  AND

b. have Elmhurst sweep IWU.  AND

c. have Millikin sweep Augie OR NPU sweep NCC (2 of 3 might be enough).

(C is where it gets foggy.  If NPU swept NCC, it would just be a 3-way tie, and Carthage would be in after Wheaton was eliminated and Augie beats IWU h-to-h.  In a 4 [or 5]-way tie, my head hurts to much to figure it out. 8-))

My rooting preference would be IWU sweeps, no one else does, and the tourney is in B'town! (We've got the h-to-h over NPU.) ;D

BigPoppa

I think IWU has a longer consecutive CCIW tourney streak than Carthage... Unless I am mistaken. Carthage streak of 22 straight will all but end this week.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

warrior35

It would take just shy of a miracle for Carthage to get in with a sweep, but Wheaton also probably needs to sweep to have reasonable chance as well.  Both teams are needing some help, and I just can't see either team sweeping this series.  It's possible, with the kind of pressure they have to make the tourney, that one team will just crack under the pressure but I doubt it.  It should be a dog fight.

The commissioner, or whoever figures this stuff out, better get his rule book out.  Could be a crazy weekend.

Viking Blue

I love this stuff!  (Though it would have been so nice if North Park could have pulled out that second game yesterday)...

This, once again, speaks to what a solid conference the CCIW is.  I think Millikin being able to take 2 of 3 from Carthage (albeit a Carthage team that's not quite what it usually is) speaks to that strength even more.

It's never a good thing to have one team in the conference that is an automatic win, and it's nice to see the "spoiler effect" that the Big Blue have had on this race.  Just think where Elmhurst would be!)

Have to see whether I'll be driving to Naperville on Sunday to cheer on the Vikings or taking in the Elmhurst/IWU game in Elmhurst but either way, it sure is going to be intense.

Viking Blue

Question to the brain trust:

Does this past weekend's events give North Park a chance to be back in the regional rankings?

BigPoppa

Quote from: Viking Blue on April 30, 2012, 01:20:02 PM

Does this past weekend's events give North Park a chance to be back in the regional rankings?

They did not pick up any wins vs regioanlly ranked opponents. On the other hand, Augustana did.

D3Vike11

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 30, 2012, 02:07:07 PM

They did not pick up any wins vs regioanlly ranked opponents. On the other hand, Augustana did.

Agreed. Central went 3-2 and could drop out, but if its between Augie and NP, Augie just took 2 of 3 from IWU, and have beat NP 2 of 3. Augie has a better SOS. Oh, and Wallace is on the Regional Committee.

BigPoppa

Quote from: D3Vike11 on April 30, 2012, 02:13:11 PM

Agreed. Central went 3-2 and could drop out, but if its between Augie and NP, Augie just took 2 of 3 from IWU, and have beat NP 2 of 3. Augie has a better SOS. Oh, and Wallace is on the Regional Committee.

If NPU is behind Augie, it will not be because Augie's coach is on the committee, it will be cause Augie deserves to be in front of NPU. Actually, coaches are prohibited from participating in a discussion related to their own team. They are required to leave the room (or conference call... or whatever they have set up).

D3Vike11

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 30, 2012, 02:16:46 PM
Quote from: D3Vike11 on April 30, 2012, 02:13:11 PM

If NPU is behind Augie, it will not be because Augie's coach is on the committee, it will be cause Augie deserves to be in front of NPU. Actually, coaches are prohibited from participating in a discussion related to their own team. They are required to leave the room (or conference call... or whatever they have set up).

Augie does deserve it this year with how they have been playing recently. Last year is a different story though.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Viking Blue on April 30, 2012, 01:18:48 PM
I love this stuff!  (Though it would have been so nice if North Park could have pulled out that second game yesterday)...

NPU has been demonstrating a frustrating habit of losing close ones lately. The only twist to the loss to the 'jays in the nightcap yesterday was that the Vikes didn't blow a lead, which had been the m.o. of most of their losses in the second half of the season. Instead, they came back from a couple of deficits yesterday to twice tie the score before succumbing.

Kuligowski and Soldano are as solid a 1-2 mound combo as the league has this year, but beyond them the pitching for NPU has been very iffy over the past three weeks.

Quote from: Viking Blue on April 30, 2012, 01:18:48 PMThis, once again, speaks to what a solid conference the CCIW is.  I think Millikin being able to take 2 of 3 from Carthage (albeit a Carthage team that's not quite what it usually is) speaks to that strength even more.

Agreed, and I also agree that it's to the CCIW's benefit not to have an in-house patsy. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Millikin continue to play spoiler into next weekend; my root-for-Augustana stance is now officially over.

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 30, 2012, 06:33:01 AM
I think IWU has a longer consecutive CCIW tourney streak than Carthage... Unless I am mistaken. Carthage streak of 22 straight will all but end this week.

Nope, you're mistaken. Wesleyan has missed two CCIW tourneys since Carthage last missed one, in 2003 and 1993.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

CCIWFAN6

Quote from: Viking Blue on April 30, 2012, 01:18:48 PM

This, once again, speaks to what a solid conference the CCIW is.  I think Millikin being able to take 2 of 3 from Carthage (albeit a Carthage team that's not quite what it usually is) speaks to that strength even more.

It's never a good thing to have one team in the conference that is an automatic win, and it's nice to see the "spoiler effect" that the Big Blue have had on this race.  Just think where Elmhurst would be!)

Have to see whether I'll be driving to Naperville on Sunday to cheer on the Vikings or taking in the Elmhurst/IWU game in Elmhurst but either way, it sure is going to be intense.

The conference definitely has more parity and depth than in years past, however, the conference in relation to the rest of the nation seems down to me this year.  I don't see a team in the conference that is a complete team (North Park being the closest to this) that has the ability to contend in a regional.  Maybe the Central is so down one gets through by default.

voiceofseason

Augustana loses to Iowa Conference last place team Dubuque tonight 10-9.  Ouch.  I hope I'm not posting the same thing this time tomorrow night after IWU hosts 10-21 Monmouth, last place in their side of the Midwest Conference.
'If I walked on water, my accusers would say it's because I can't swim."
   -- Berti Vogts

blue_jays

Interesting team stats:
North Park 10 HR
Carthage 10 HR
North Central 10 HR
Augie 6 HR
Wheaton's Trey Martin 11 HR