FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzJohnnie

Quote from: hazzben on March 25, 2020, 03:51:36 PM
Quote from: sjusection105 on March 25, 2020, 08:48:36 AM
Announced this morning Price Charles has tested positive and is self isolating with the Duchess of Cornwall (Camila) at their home in Scotland.

Yeah right, they both just want a break from the queen and their royal duties for a few weeks  :P  ;)

If/when a celebrity dies from this bug I won't be able to watch the news for three days.  It will be like a coronavirus wet dream to them.
[  

OzJohnnie

FYI, the Johnnies have posted an activity book to keep youngsters and Tommie honors students entertained.

https://gojohnnies.com/news/2020/3/25/general-sju-activity-book-volume-1.aspx
[  

OzJohnnie

Quote from: miac952 on March 25, 2020, 07:12:52 PM
The Netherlands strategy is "evolving" after the virus has started to takeover.

https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2020/03/577616/covid-19-netherlands-extends-partial-lockdown-june

Get outta here?  They adjust?  Well bugger me.  So, lockdown like the UK, I guess?
[  

Robert Zimmerman

Quote from: faunch on March 24, 2020, 06:37:07 PM
Well at least we've got Take Me Back Tuesday!!!
Man did SJU start out playing tight in this game!
https://youtu.be/8tj7WXsU54s

We had extra point issues in this game too!

I really enjoyed watching this, thanks for posting.  I wish the radio broadcast was still like this (with or without Linnemann).  Less bias, more professional for the most part.  My favorite line of the broadcast was, "we really don't know much about Porta yet."

Forgot about Johnson going for it on 4th and 2 at midfield and not getting it, setting up a short field for SJU to score before halftime.

Blake Elliot could absolutely take over, and he didn't even have the best game.  A couple of crucial drops.  Still a dominating performance. 

It's too bad that Kirchoff was injured before the last drive to see if Bethel could answer with a couple of minutes left.  Tough spot for the back up qb.

Am I imagining this or was this game supposed to be played at Bethel and they gave SJU the home game???

57Johnnie

Quote from: OzJohnnie on March 25, 2020, 07:25:48 PM

https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2020/03/577616/covid-19-netherlands-extends-partial-lockdown-june

Get outta here?  They adjust?  Well bugger me.  So, lockdown like the UK, I guess?
Colorado goes into lockdown tomorrow morning. Since they are 'critical' businesses, liquor stores and pot shops will remain open. Some grocery stores are open for seniors only for the first hour. I think I qualify :)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: 57Johnnie on March 25, 2020, 08:07:19 PM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on March 25, 2020, 07:25:48 PM

Colorado goes into lockdown tomorrow morning. Since they are 'critical' businesses, liquor stores and pot shops will remain open. Some grocery stores are open for seniors only for the first hour. I think I qualify :)

Michigan is basically the same, starting 4-5 days ago.  Most of the stores are also seniors only for the first hour, but I refuse to go at 7 AM!  One supermarket is only open fewer hours, so their 'senior only' hour is 11-12 AM - my wife (who barely qualifies at the tender age of 65) plans to go there!  I'm gonna brave it out at the only local Kroger that has my favorite bourbon, and do mucho shopping there.  If I keep my shopping cart between me and anyone else, that is almost social distancing! ;)

OzJohnnie

Well, here's an interesting website.  It's aggregated data from Kinsa, a 'smart' thermometer which sends all it's temperature readings back to the mothership.  Scroll down the page a little and you'll see a map showing trends, observed and atypical temperature readings.

https://healthweather.us/

In the Trends tab you'll see that temp readings all over the country are decreasing except for parts of Colorado and New Mexico where they are slightly on the rise.  Stay sheltered, 57.  (rising from a very low base as is evident on the Observed tab so not really alarming)

On the Observed tab you'll see that everywhere has only mild readings except for around New York City and Northern Michigan (Ypsi - shop at 7am!).  Both of these locations are still experiencing decreasing temps as per the Trends tab.

And on the Atypical tab you'll see that it's normal or below everywhere but around New York City and southern Florida (where a bunch New Yorkers have run to escape the virus and have now been put into quarantine by the local Floridian authorities).

It seems that not only are the increasingly stringent distancing and closure rules intended to slow the coronavirus but they are definitely putting a dagger in the heart of the regular sickness trends.

(EDIT: of course, this data runs against the theory that the CV is already widespread as fever is one of the most common symptoms.  Surprisingly, King County, WA reads as normal in the readings.  That place has seen the CV in the wild since January and until it took off in NYC was ground zero in the US.  I guess all data is interesting but nothing is easily definitive.)
[  

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: OzJohnnie on March 25, 2020, 10:00:02 PM
Well, here's an interesting website.  It's aggregated data from Kinsa, a 'smart' thermometer which sends all it's temperature readings back to the mothership.  Scroll down the page a little and you'll see a map showing trends, observed and atypical temperature readings.

https://healthweather.us/

In the Trends tab you'll see that temp readings all over the country are decreasing except for parts of Colorado and New Mexico where they are slightly on the rise.  Stay sheltered, 57.  (rising from a very low base as is evident on the Observed tab so not really alarming)

On the Observed tab you'll see that everywhere has only mild readings except for around New York City and Northern Michigan (Ypsi - shop at 7am!).  Both of these locations are still experiencing decreasing temps as per the Trends tab.

And on the Atypical tab you'll see that it's normal or below everywhere but around New York City and southern Florida (where a bunch New Yorkers have run to escape the virus and have now been put into quarantine by the local Floridian authorities).

It seems that not only are the increasingly stringent distancing and closure rules intended to slow the coronavirus but they are definitely putting a dagger in the heart of the regular sickness trends.

(EDIT: of course, this data runs against the theory that the CV is already widespread as fever is one of the most common symptoms.  Surprisingly, King County, WA reads as normal in the readings.  That place has seen the CV in the wild since January and until it took off in NYC was ground zero in the US.  I guess all data is interesting but nothing is easily definitive.)

Thanks for the advice, but post-retirement, 7 AM is a no-go zone!  If only Fresh Thyme (the store with an 11-12 senior time) had my bourbon! ;)  Evan Williams Honey bourbon is worth the risk - if anyone tries to invade my social distance, they'll be smashed by my cart!  (But both the dog and the cat need food, so the trip is on.)

Besides, Ypsi is about as far from northern Michigan as one can get without being in (shudder!) Ohio.

OzJohnnie

Here's a good development.  Let's hope it brings back a very good story.  Hoping for the best, as always.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/game-changer-britain-days-away-from-releasing-millions-of-coronavirus-finger-prick-tests-20200326-p54dyy.html

The British government is just "days" away from releasing 3.5 million self-administered finger-prick tests that could prove a game-changer in easing the economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic...

The public will eventually be able to take the test at home to determine whether they have had coronavirus and developed antibodies, meaning they can avoid lockdowns and go back to work because they are immune and cannot infect others...

Professor Sharon Peacock, the director of Public Health England's National Infection Service, told MPs the kits were in the final stages of testing at a laboratory in Oxford and could be approved for mass distribution by the end of this week...

Whitty last week said the antibody tests were an "absolute priority".

"We'll be able to say to somebody, 'You've had this virus, you're not likely to get it again at least in the immediate term, and now we can be confident you can return to work and now we can be confident you don't need to be taking some of the precautions you’ve been taking to date'," he said.

It looks like the battle between the epidemiology departments of Oxford and the Imperial College is on.  I'm cheering for the toffs of Oxford.
[  

faunch

Quote from: Robert Zimmerman on March 25, 2020, 07:50:47 PM

I really enjoyed watching this, thanks for posting.  I wish the radio broadcast was still like this (with or without Linnemann).  Less bias, more professional for the most part.  My favorite line of the broadcast was, "we really don't know much about Porta yet."

Forgot about Johnson going for it on 4th and 2 at midfield and not getting it, setting up a short field for SJU to score before halftime.

Blake Elliot could absolutely take over, and he didn't even have the best game.  A couple of crucial drops.  Still a dominating performance. 

It's too bad that Kirchoff was injured before the last drive to see if Bethel could answer with a couple of minutes left.  Tough spot for the back up qb.

Am I imagining this or was this game supposed to be played at Bethel and they gave SJU the home game???

Porta definitely had some big days against SJU. Wonder where he ranks among the leagues best backs? Linnemann did sneak in a couple "cheap shots" in regards to Bethel. Mark was noticeably more reserved.
I forgot about that 4th and 2 as well. Found myself saying that was dumb but thanks.
I doubt Bethel would have give-up a home game on their grass field in November.
Watching it made me realize how lucky SJU was to win that game. Easily could have lost to U$T and BU and the 2003 would have been a faint memory. Imagine what a buzz kill John's 409 win would have been against Crown College????

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

miac952

The antibody test would definitely be a holy grail for testing in getting those back in the workforce.

My questions would be though, could we add another high volume test to are already stressed labs in the US? How quickly can production happen to where it expands to the US? And, with it being protected health info, how honest will employees be with tier employers? They might like the part-time work from home life. For the hourly's that have faced pay reductions or job cuts this would be a GameChanger to get many of them back to work more quickly, but do they lie the other way?

SagatagSam

Quote from: faunch on March 26, 2020, 09:26:09 AM
Quote from: Robert Zimmerman on March 25, 2020, 07:50:47 PM

Porta definitely had some big days against SJU. Wonder where he ranks among the leagues best backs? Linnemann did sneak in a couple "cheap shots" in regards to Bethel. Mark was noticeably more reserved.
I forgot about that 4th and 2 as well. Found myself saying that was dumb but thanks.
I doubt Bethel would have give-up a home game on their grass field in November.
Watching it made me realize how lucky SJU was to win that game. Easily could have lost to U$T and BU and the 2003 would have been a faint memory. Imagine what a buzz kill John's 409 win would have been against Crown College????

Frank Rajkowski was reminiscing about this game on Twitter a few days ago and talked about how the St. Cloud Times wanted to run a commemorative print if SJU won the game.

"It had been decided that we would print a commemorative issue to hand out to fans at Clemens Stadium leaving the game if the Johnnies won. But the call to go to press or not had to be made at halftime when SJU was up 19-14. I think I was the one who had to make the call. So we printed and the game swung back and forth in the second half with Bethel leading late in the 4th quarter. Blake Elliott returned a kickoff 50 yards to set up the game-winning TD and I was spared the blame for having to dump a whole run in the Mississippi River or something."
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

DuffMan

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 25, 2020, 10:57:03 PM
Thanks for the advice, but post-retirement, 7 AM is a no-go zone!

I don't know, my dad still gets up at 5:30-6:00!  :D

I went grocery shopping at 7:30 a.m. today.  Wasn't too bad.  It boggles my mind that there was literally no sugar, flour, or rice, though.  Doesn't there come a point when everyone has enough of these?  I ended up going to Byerly's to get the two things that Cub was out of, but other than that, I shouldn't have to go to the store for at least 2 weeks.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

DuffMan

Quote from: faunch on March 26, 2020, 09:26:09 AM
Imagine what a buzz kill John's 409 win would have been against Crown College????

Crown was sooo bad.  I remember watching their receivers warm up and thinking, "I could run better routes than that," and I have never run a pass route in my life.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003