MBB: MAC Freedom League

Started by ljk, March 14, 2005, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ucaafan

Looks like Coach Pat Scanlon has left Manhattanville as team is preparing return to Skyline Conference. Doubt that conference change had anything to do with his decision. Wishing him the best wherever he heads next.

lefty2

The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: ucaafan on June 17, 2019, 12:58:35 PM
Looks like Coach Pat Scanlon has left Manhattanville as team is preparing return to Skyline Conference. Doubt that conference change had anything to do with his decision. Wishing him the best wherever he heads next.

And they have yet to take his name off of the men's hoops website. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

gordonmann

He took the boy's basketball head coaching job at Greenwich (Conn.) Country Day School.

No offense to Manhattanville, but I'm assuming the salary is much higher there.

CCHoopster

Before seeing rosters. Anyone have thoughts on this league or rumors? I think Wilkes lost the most of the playoff teams but Misericordia lost the most overall (and still missed playoffs last year). I can't see Misericordia being a top 4 team.

DeSales could have a special season. Clearly the favorite to win it. They have added a suspended all conference player back, a D2 transfer and return all but 1 to a championship team. 20 plus wins. THey have a strong non conference schedule. If they see lots of success there I think they can really take care of the league (12-2/13-1)

Del Val- Wild Card team... Can probably finish 1-5. They finished 4th (game out of second), lost 4 seniors and Twitter says LJ Robinson left the program for Drew. They were up half dozen to a dozen at one point in the semi finals last year at DeSales. Rumor has it they have loaded up on transfers this year. They return 4 of their top 7 in Myers, Ciunciulli, second team all conference Damnian Washington and  the freshman Johnson. If they indeed have a strong and deep recruiting class ready to play, could be a really tough team- my surprise team of the year.

Eastern- New coach... could go a few different ways. They do have the best front court in the league and two first team all conference forwards in Bowlers and Pena (ACL was out for last year at Christmas and will be back). Add the 6'8 lefty off the bench and they are huge! Not sure about their guard play- Washington and Duncan were both all league guards, really top talent level players. The left handed freshman wing from last year will be a good player- too emotional but athletic and can defend and rebound. Not a shooter. The coach will have to adjust. It's a big jump going from sitting to standing at the college level.

Wilkes- Lost 5 seniors including their 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th leading scorers. That group included their 1st (schools all time leading 3 point scorer) and 3rd best 3pt shooters. They could be the team that lost the most of the group that made the playoffs.

Stevens- not familiar with them. They have full time assistants for each sport, good set up for student athletes and coaches there. Coming off 16-9 and a first round playoff exit in a, I believe, weaker conference. 10 guys played 11 mpg. Of their top 9 from last year they graduated 5 and 1 (their best player) is coming off a season ending injury where he played in two games. #'s 14, 41, 20 will have to carry them unless there are impact underclass/incoming freshman

Kings- Return everyone but number 9 in MPG. They finish 6th or 7th. They gave some teams a run last year but they don't have the scoring to compete in the top four.

Misericordia- Looking at their stats, they lost a lot of everything... points, minutes etc... Not sure how you replace all of that. They do have a talented front court, possibly and probably the second best (behind Easter) in Rivera and Harding- two All Conference caliber players. Losing a three year starter at PG, a two time POY, your best 3 point shooter and two year starter (McCreary), an athlete in Tyrell Mann and the big 6'8 man Juston. FDU beat them last year so I am putting them here. If they rebuild with transfers I may have to revisit, i think they are some time away from the top again.

FDU- A few surprise wins last year. Vs Mis Del Val to name a few. Of the 8 guys that played they return 4 of them including losing their top two scorers. Building year 2.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: CCHoopster on August 14, 2019, 08:23:50 PM
Before seeing rosters. Anyone have thoughts on this league or rumors? I think Wilkes lost the most of the playoff teams but Misericordia lost the most overall (and still missed playoffs last year). I can't see Misericordia being a top 4 team.

DeSales could have a special season. Clearly the favorite to win it. They have added a suspended all conference player back, a D2 transfer and return all but 1 to a championship team. 20 plus wins. THey have a strong non conference schedule. If they see lots of success there I think they can really take care of the league (12-2/13-1)

Del Val- Wild Card team... Can probably finish 1-5. They finished 4th (game out of second), lost 4 seniors and Twitter says LJ Robinson left the program for Drew. They were up half dozen to a dozen at one point in the semi finals last year at DeSales. Rumor has it they have loaded up on transfers this year. They return 4 of their top 7 in Myers, Ciunciulli, second team all conference Damnian Washington and  the freshman Johnson. If they indeed have a strong and deep recruiting class ready to play, could be a really tough team- my surprise team of the year.

Eastern- New coach... could go a few different ways. They do have the best front court in the league and two first team all conference forwards in Bowlers and Pena (ACL was out for last year at Christmas and will be back). Add the 6'8 lefty off the bench and they are huge! Not sure about their guard play- Washington and Duncan were both all league guards, really top talent level players. The left handed freshman wing from last year will be a good player- too emotional but athletic and can defend and rebound. Not a shooter. The coach will have to adjust. It's a big jump going from sitting to standing at the college level.

Wilkes- Lost 5 seniors including their 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th leading scorers. That group included their 1st (schools all time leading 3 point scorer) and 3rd best 3pt shooters. They could be the team that lost the most of the group that made the playoffs.

Stevens- not familiar with them. They have full time assistants for each sport, good set up for student athletes and coaches there. Coming off 16-9 and a first round playoff exit in a, I believe, weaker conference. 10 guys played 11 mpg. Of their top 9 from last year they graduated 5 and 1 (their best player) is coming off a season ending injury where he played in two games. #'s 14, 41, 20 will have to carry them unless there are impact underclass/incoming freshman

Kings- Return everyone but number 9 in MPG. They finish 6th or 7th. They gave some teams a run last year but they don't have the scoring to compete in the top four.

Misericordia- Looking at their stats, they lost a lot of everything... points, minutes etc... Not sure how you replace all of that. They do have a talented front court, possibly and probably the second best (behind Easter) in Rivera and Harding- two All Conference caliber players. Losing a three year starter at PG, a two time POY, your best 3 point shooter and two year starter (McCreary), an athlete in Tyrell Mann and the big 6'8 man Juston. FDU beat them last year so I am putting them here. If they rebuild with transfers I may have to revisit, i think they are some time away from the top again.

FDU- A few surprise wins last year. Vs Mis Del Val to name a few. Of the 8 guys that played they return 4 of them including losing their top two scorers. Building year 2.

DeSales should breeze to the title. If their "suspended all conference player" is in fact back, given what he was suspended for  (which I will NOT mention here), than this Catholic institution turned it's head and looked the other way yet again. With the D2 transfer, they keep intact their unprecedented streak of higher level transfers. I have to check to see (one of the assistants is a good buddy........rhymes with milk) how many years in a row it has been. With all that they have coming back, it would be a stunner if they don't win an NCAA game IF they get a semi-decent first round draw.

I don't think DelVal can finish #1 unless DeSales sits the year out. Washington is a huge loss. Started a bunch of games as a freshman. Has a very nice sophomore year. Maybe can can/will give us some inside scoop as to why he left. Other than Washington, their returners are small and average at best. I have heard from a source that they have a couple of transfers coming in BUT none are IMPACT transfers, the likes of which DeSales gets every single year......................and they are small. DelVal is smaller than the local high school teams (Suburban One........not talking Philly Catholic League here). With Pena coming back for what seems like a 7th year (he might be about 25) and Bowlers (who is close to 30 at this point) and Plett (6'8" lefty off the bench), they will crush most teams, especially DelVal on the boards. I see DelVal battling for the 4 seed and if they get in, their coach should be coach of the year. I know that it doesn't work that way though. Koval should not get it when they win as they are doing nothing other than what they will be the overwhelming favorite to do. Just my thoughts. COY should be the coach who takes his team the furthest above expectations. If DeSales stays healthy, they could run the MAC table (14-0) and finish in the 20-5 area overall.

Miser did rebuild with a few transfers, as Willie (head coach) was absolutely going to do. Wilkes has a few coming in as well. The Eastern connection in Florida is still very strong and they are the 32 team in the MAC in my opinion. Don't sleep on Stevens. FDU (run by two former Miser guys) had a great offseason. I actually like King's a smidge more than DelVal (primarily due to the huge loss of Robinson) sitting here at this point. I hear they have a huge impact transfer but is still rehabbing a knee.

Gordon, are you hearing a any MAC hoops stuff?

jmcozenlaw

Just checking in to make sure that everybody is alive. Football has no "off season"............................while hoops certainly does!! ;)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 13, 2019, 10:41:40 AM
Just checking in to make sure that everybody is alive. Football has no "off season"............................while hoops certainly does!! ;)

.........................and he reiterates his point. What is it about football that captivates so many 365/24/7, while other sports don't engender quite that year long passion?

CCHoopster

JM! Season is a few weeks away. Some rosters going up already. Some haven't.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: CCHoopster on October 23, 2019, 01:43:08 PM
JM! Season is a few weeks away. Some rosters going up already. Some haven't.

I gotcha CC..........................it's just that football seems to have no offseason while hoops goes into hibernation once the season ends until right before it begins.

That's fine with me as I'm a football junkie. Baseball might be "America's Pastime".......................but football is it's Passion!!

kate

CCHoopster

CCHoopster

Quote from: CCHoopster on October 29, 2019, 04:47:21 PM
thoughts on rosters?

I'll take a stab.

DeSales- maturity and talent with experience. Can shoot and post. Enough athleticism to be feared in that area. They could be the second best team in the area behind Swartmore

Eastern- Very big, 2 centers and a power forward of 6'8, 6'6, 6'8 in the starting rotation. Not a ton of guard play per the write up

Steven- Roster not up.

Wilkes- Mullins and Peccorelli will have to carry the load. They lost a lot of scoring and talent. Wondering who will step up from their bench guys last year.

Misericordia- lots of new faces. I see them a lock for 6 or 7 not 5. Although an all conference year by the power forward Harding and the center Rivera and they could present some issues to a few teams- but like Eastern where are the guards.

Delaware Valley- Washington and Cianculli are as good as any guard forward combo. Looking at their roster, who are all these kids? I don't recognize more than 5. That place must be some task to recruit to. Not sure how they stay competitive each year.

FDU- No roster, losing Mitchell and Davy hurts. Not sure they are the type to reload with transfers

King's- Didn't see Noah Tanner on the roster. I think they finish dead last, staying there all year. They start off at Eastern in conference.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: CCHoopster on November 04, 2019, 12:25:20 PM
Quote from: CCHoopster on October 29, 2019, 04:47:21 PM
thoughts on rosters?

I'll take a stab.

DeSales- maturity and talent with experience. Can shoot and post. Enough athleticism to be feared in that area. They could be the second best team in the area behind Swartmore

Eastern- Very big, 2 centers and a power forward of 6'8, 6'6, 6'8 in the starting rotation. Not a ton of guard play per the write up

Steven- Roster not up.

Wilkes- Mullins and Peccorelli will have to carry the load. They lost a lot of scoring and talent. Wondering who will step up from their bench guys last year.

Misericordia- lots of new faces. I see them a lock for 6 or 7 not 5. Although an all conference year by the power forward Harding and the center Rivera and they could present some issues to a few teams- but like Eastern where are the guards.

Delaware Valley- Washington and Cianculli are as good as any guard forward combo. Looking at their roster, who are all these kids? I don't recognize more than 5. That place must be some task to recruit to. Not sure how they stay competitive each year.

FDU- No roster, losing Mitchell and Davy hurts. Not sure they are the type to reload with transfers

King's- Didn't see Noah Tanner on the roster. I think they finish dead last, staying there all year. They start off at Eastern in conference.

I could say the same thing about other MAC teams as well.......................just not in the sheer numbers of this one year for DelVal. I don't know about the "that place must be some task to recruit to" though as they have had a nice run over the last decade, their football team runs roughshod through the MAC year in and year out, as well as being a Top 15 nationally ranked program and the wrestling team has been a national player since the early 1970's. Eastern has three impact transfers (Bowlers, Rivera.........from Ithaca, and one of the guards) and had a stud senior guard last year who transferred to play just one year. DeSales is good for a higher level (D2) transfer or two every year...................but didn't go down that road this year with the sheer amount of returnees. Miser went down the transfer route this year with the number of players they lost. I don't know how successful they were but FDU (led by two ex-Miser players) had big transfer dreams this season, but I don't know how it played out. I'd never single any program out for a large one year blip. The MAC is not the NESCAC. I see zero problem giving chances to kids who come from nothing, spend a year or two at a JUCO or CC and play two years elsewhere. It's their only way to be able to afford college. The "snooty and snobby" institutions don't have to go down that path.  You will see more of that (transfers) as expenses continue to climb and the number of college age kids declines for years to come.

DeSales should run the table in the MAC this year given what they are bringing back (and the third chance being given to a player who might not deserved a second for his "transgression") and I would be stunned if they didn't win an NCAA game or maybe even two. That would be a let down for the old Allentown College. I think it's a crapshoot with most of the other programs outside of Eastern.

Oh....................Davy was a transfer into FDU ;)

CCHoopster

I am not against transfers... no reason to be and transfers can be amazing assets to any program. Del Val has to be hard to recruit to- facilities, lack of majors and rising costs. They are probably last in the MAC in all three, or bottom 2 now that Manhattanville departed. I imagine recruiting four year players is a major challenge there, my opinion. No sports are team wise successful in recent years with the exception of basketball and football. Wrestling has been with individuals. Again last 5 years talking.

I agree on DeSales. They are the class of D3 Hoops in the area after Swarthmore.