FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wartknight

Quote from: OldAuggie on November 08, 2018, 10:05:28 PM
Quote from: DuffMan on November 08, 2018, 09:33:34 PM
He couldn't hack it at the U.

Looks like your boy, Owen Webster, started the season with a good tourney last weekend.
Ha! I see that now that you mention it, I forgot to check the results this week. Still at 184, looks like he is going to stay at 184. I see Dylan Anderson won it at 197; he moved up a weight class, no?

Early Prediction........ Augsburg Wartburg wrestling takes it all this year.
Fixed it for ya  ;D
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden

57Johnnie

Nice article on D3 about the Saints.
They rode a bus from Kentucky to CSS and are riding one to Collegeville!
WOW  :)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

jamtod

Quote from: 57Johnnie on November 09, 2018, 09:17:31 AM
Nice article on D3 about the Saints.
They rode a bus from Kentucky to CSS and are riding one to Collegeville!
WOW  :)

Hope they drive safely once they get into this area. Saw lots of cars and trucks in the ditch on my way to and from Iowa last night.

Johnnie

Hey, to all the trivia Schwab-type gurus out there.

Is it just me, or is Thomas More the first D3 team in D3 history to play all 9 of their first 9 games in a single season against schools each located in a different US state than the previous schools played during the course of that season?

So, my question is:  What famous D3 school halted the infamous Thomas More 'streak' at 9 games?

On a side-note, I think they will continue their streak of now 10 games of not playing a team from their home state.

So, does anybody have any insights into this trivia?   ;D

OldAuggie

Quote from: wartknight on November 09, 2018, 08:43:02 AM
Quote from: OldAuggie on November 08, 2018, 10:05:28 PM
Quote from: DuffMan on November 08, 2018, 09:33:34 PM
He couldn't hack it at the U.

Looks like your boy, Owen Webster, started the season with a good tourney last weekend.
Ha! I see that now that you mention it, I forgot to check the results this week. Still at 184, looks like he is going to stay at 184. I see Dylan Anderson won it at 197; he moved up a weight class, no?

Early Prediction........ Augsburg Wartburg wrestling takes it all this year.
Fixed it for ya  ;D
Good one Wartknight! +k
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

57Johnnie

The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

Pat Coleman

Johnnie -- I'm not quite following your trivia question. Can you explain it a different way?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jamtod

Quote from: Johnnie on November 09, 2018, 09:33:00 AM

Hey, to all the trivia Schwab-type gurus out there.

Is it just me, or is Thomas More the first D3 team in D3 history to play all 9 of their first 9 games in a single season against schools each located in a different US state than the previous schools played during the course of that season?

So, my question is:  What famous D3 school halted the infamous Thomas More 'streak' at 9 games?

On a side-note, I think they will continue their streak of now 10 games of not playing a team from their home state.

So, does anybody have any insights into this trivia?   ;D

I thought I knew the answer, but then you called the D3 school "famous" instead of mediocre,  backwoods, or belligerent. So now I'm not so sure.

Johnnie

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 09, 2018, 11:59:41 AM
Johnnie -- I'm not quite following your trivia question. Can you explain it a different way?

ok, the 9 schools TMU has played thus far this year are from the states of:

NC, IN, WI, AL, NY, VA, MN, OH, and PA.  [9 games against 9 schools from 9 (uniquely) different states]

So, I conclude 9 games against 9 schools all from 9 different US states.  (that seems a bit unusual to me)

Furthermore, TMU is located in the state of KY. 

So they not only played schools from 9 different states, but not one of those 9 states was against a school from their 'home' state.

So, they have a streak of 9 straight games of playing a school from a different state then each prior opponents' state

So,  do they have a scheduling 'plan' to NOT play opponents located in their home state,  as well as NOT playing against a subsequent opponent whose location is a state in which they've already scheduled an prior opponent from the same respective state for that year)

(unless of course, the state is MN, since SJU will break their 9 game 'unique' state streak)

hazzben

hazzben

@Johnnie

I was following you. And I've got to think it's some kind of 'record' or first ever. Most small college teams have a conference that is highly regional, at most involving a few states. But even independents like TM would usually be working for games close to home, which means in a 2-3 state radius for most games.

TM's move to NAIA made this a unique year for them. But that was my point earlier this week. They are not your typical D3 7-2, with losses by a combined 10 points, when you consider all the travel they've done. And that all of this travel has been done by bus. This would be a brutal schedule for an FBS team that was flying to all these games, but to do it on a coach bus!?! Those seats weren't made to fit the hips of your typical lineman, or the length of anyone over 5'11".

Tip of the cap to TM. They've brought new meaning to road warrior, whether they're the first team to make the accomplishment you describe or not.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Johnnie on November 09, 2018, 12:41:51 PM

NC, IN, WI, AL, NY, VA, MN, OH, and PA.  [9 games against 9 schools from 9 (uniquely) different states]

So, I conclude 9 games against 9 schools all from 9 different US states.  (that seems a bit unusual to me)

So they not only played schools from 9 different states, but not one of those 9 states was against a school from their 'home' state.

So, they have a streak of 9 straight games of playing a school from a different state then each prior opponents' state

So,  do they have a scheduling 'plan' to NOT play opponents located in their home state,  as well as NOT playing against a subsequent opponent whose location is a state in which they've already scheduled an prior opponent from the same respective state for that year)

(unless of course, the state is MN, since SJU will break their 9 game 'unique' state streak)

Crestview Hills is in Kentucky, but is only a well struck long iron away from Ohio (Cincinnati) and Indiana.  Is Centre the only other D3 football team in Kentucky?  I think it might be.  So there aren't a lot of options there.  But for 2018, TMU found themselves without a conference to play in on kind of short notice.  That they were able to put together any kind of schedule in the amount of time they had is pretty incredible. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Pat Coleman

Gotcha! If we were to find anything comparable, we'd probably want to look at those years where Wesley was an independent. They had some epic barnstorming type years, but typically had more home games.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MRMIKESMITH

Teams like Florida could take note.

SaintsFAN

No.  They've had trouble finding regional d3 opponents to play TM since the mid-90s.  During my time as a player we played some d3, but also many 1-AA (how it was known back then), d2 and NAIA schools.  Before my time they played at Montana, who was defending 1-AA Champs at the time, I believe. The D3 schools played in my time there included ASC, WIAC, Albion, and Il Wesleyan and teams in NY.  Take a look at their historical schedules on the Thomas More website.

Their biggest rival, MSJ, has quit The Bridge Bowl twice now.  Some of this is related to a big fight at the conclusion of a game at Hanover in 1993 and some was how some didn't like the HC.  The program has always seemed to be regarded as renegade. 

The school first sponsored football in 1991 and didn't have an on-campus home stadium until 1999, so they've always traveled, even to Home Games during those years. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2