BB: Top Teams in West Region

Started by CrashDavisD3, February 20, 2012, 08:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

108 Stitches

Well Jack, according to Crash at least, what is going to do them in is poor fielding. It does not matter what level you play you won't win many games with 6 errors!

CrashDavisD3

MY TOP 10 in the West 2-26-2012

1) Trinity(12-1)
2) Linfield(6-1)
3) Concordia-Texas(7-3)
4) Pomona Pitzer(7-3-1)
5) Texas-Tyler(7-3)
6) Texas-Lutheran(6-2)
7) Pacific Lutheran(5-2)
8) University of Dallas(9-2)
9) La Verne(9-4)
10) Cal Lutheran(8-4)
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Jack Parkman

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on February 26, 2012, 07:18:31 PM

1) Trinity(12-1)
2) Linfield(6-1)
3) Concordia-Texas(7-3)
4) Pomona Pitzer(7-3-1)- Lose 2 of 3 to Cal Lu and go up?
5) Texas-Tyler(7-3)
6) Texas-Lutheran(6-2)
7) Pacific Lutheran(5-2)
8) University of Dallas(9-2)- Am I the only one that thinks they were exposed for the team they really are?
9) La Verne(9-4)
10) Cal Lutheran(8-4)- Win 2 of 3 from Pomona and drop?

I will take a stab based off of your but I have a few questions in red for yours.

1. Trinity- no doubt
2. Linfield- Class of the NWC
3. Concordia- Solid squad
4. Pacific Lutheran- Might battle Linfield
5. La Verne- Still not sold on them but took 2 of 3 from Oxy
6. Texas Lutheran- Havent really played anyone yet, verdict still out.
7. Cal Lutheran- Solid series win over Pomona-Pitzer
8. Pomona-Pitzer- Drop close series with Cal Lutheran
9. UT- Tyler- Still not sold at all
10. Chapman- It's tough to think they are not one of the top teams but they got beat 2 of 3 by a very average George Fox team.  Errors or no errors, losses are losses and they are already putting Chapman in dangerous position.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Jack Parkman on February 27, 2012, 01:29:57 PM

1) Trinity(12-1)
2) Linfield(6-1)
3) Concordia-Texas(7-3)
5) Texas-Tyler(7-3)
6) Texas-Lutheran(6-2)
7) Pacific Lutheran(5-2)
8) University of Dallas(9-2)- Am I the only one that thinks they were exposed for the team they really are?
9) La Verne(9-4)

I will take a stab based off of your but I have a few questions in red for yours.

1. Trinity- no doubt
5. La Verne- Still not sold on them but took 2 of 3 from Oxy - Not sure what to think of La Veren yet. Will they hold on in weeks to come
7. Cal Lutheran- Solid series win over Pomona-Pitzer Head to Head they should be higher than Pomona but will Cal Lu be tripped on a team they should beat.
8. Pomona-Pitzer- Drop close series with Cal Lutheran [/color]Could drop out of top 10 if they lose another series.
9. UT- Tyler- Still not sold at all [/color]Should stay in top 10 until lose
10. Chapman- It's tough to think they are not one of the top teams but they got beat 2 of 3 by a very average George Fox team.  Errors or no errors, losses are losses and they are already putting Chapman in dangerous position.
If Chapman gets swept by Trinity it could mean too many in region losses and they will not get a Pool C bid. Still have 4 with Linfield and Pac Lu also
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

Jack Parkman

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on February 27, 2012, 01:38:34 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on February 27, 2012, 01:29:57 PM

1) Trinity(12-1)
2) Linfield(6-1)
3) Concordia-Texas(7-3)
5) Texas-Tyler(7-3)
6) Texas-Lutheran(6-2)
7) Pacific Lutheran(5-2)
9) La Verne(9-4)

1. Trinity- no doubt
5. La Verne- Still not sold on them but took 2 of 3 from Oxy - Not sure what to think of La Veren yet. Will they hold on in weeks to come
7. Cal Lutheran- Solid series win over Pomona-Pitzer Head to Head they should be higher than Pomona but will Cal Lu be tripped on a team they should beat.
8. Pomona-Pitzer- Drop close series with Cal Lutheran [/color]Could drop out of top 10 if they lose another series.
9. UT- Tyler- Still not sold at all [/color]Should stay in top 10 until lose
If Chapman gets swept by Trinity it could mean too many in region losses and they will not get a Pool C bid. Still have 4 with Linfield and Pac Lu also

I agree 100% on La Verne.  I don't know which why they will go the rest of the year.
I think the Cal Lutheran/Pomona argument is a tough one since both are off to good starts but we will see what happens.  Either one could go on a good streak or drop out fast.
I don't see Trinity sweeping Chapman if they can just play catch.  If Chapman continues to make errors, they are screwed.

108 Stitches

1.   Trinity
2.   Linfield
3.   Concordia (Tx)
4.   Pacific Lutheran
5.   CLU
6.   Pomona

The rest I am not sure about, as they have not really played any tough teams or series. It is still early so until a team play a quality opponent for a series it is hard to get a good read on them.

I also think that Chapman will get it together. If they take 2/3 from Trinity then they are back heading in the right direction. Even if they lose 2/3 and they are close good games than the same thing. If they get swept or get blown out, then they are in trouble. Will be an interesting series to watch. You can bet the coaching staff and team will be working hard this week.

I also have to say that toughness of schedule means a lot. I watched both UofDallas/Trinity games over the weekend (video) and was not all that impressed with them. They are decent, but not a top 10 team. Undefeated does not mean much IMO against weak competition. I thought UMHB looked better than them, although I only saw the one game. 

I also have to send out some props to Centenary. I realize that they are transitioning down to DIII, but that is the best hitting lineup in DIII* I have seen. Their pitching is mediocre, after their number 1, but they will beat your brains out with those bats.

I also realize that Millsaps is considered a southern school, but they are young and going to surprise some folks and I predict they will beat out BSC in the SCAC East.

My Monday morning 2 cents.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 27, 2012, 02:36:55 PM
1.   Trinity
2.   Linfield
3.   Concordia (Tx)
4.   Pacific Lutheran
5.   CLU
6.   Pomona

The rest I am not sure about, as they have not really played any tough teams or series. It is still early so until a team play a quality opponent for a series it is hard to get a good read on them.

I also think that Chapman will get it together. If they take 2/3 from Trinity then they are back heading in the right direction. Even if they lose 2/3 and they are close good games than the same thing. If they get swept or get blown out, then they are in trouble. Will be an interesting series to watch. You can bet the coaching staff and team will be working hard this week.

I also have to say that toughness of schedule means a lot. I watched both UofDallas/Trinity games over the weekend (video) and was not all that impressed with them. They are decent, but not a top 10 team. Undefeated does not mean much IMO against weak competition. I thought UMHB looked better than them, although I only saw the one game. 

I also have to send out some props to Centenary. I realize that they are transitioning down to DIII, but that is the best hitting lineup in DIII* I have seen. Their pitching is mediocre, after their number 1, but they will beat your brains out with those bats.

I also realize that Millsaps is considered a southern school, but they are young and going to surprise some folks and I predict they will beat out BSC in the SCAC East.

My Monday morning 2 cents.

Nice job. If the playoffs started today these could be the 6. But lots of baseball to play until May...

ILVBB

I have no idea how this weekend's Trinity/Chapman series will go. However, after being in Dallas last weekend, it was interesting to watch Michael Schweiss shut down Trinity for 6+ innings. Trinity had taken apart the previous pitchers in both games, but Schweiss came in, kept the ball down, had hard break on his slider and held Trinity to 3 hits.

Given the ERA's of the Chapman starters, I think the series could be very close. Small ball and defense will make the difference this weekend.

dp643

This Trinity Chapman series could seriously make or break Chapman's season. Losing 2 to Trinity and then losing 2 or 3 to Linfield may put them out of pool c contention. We have had plenty of 30+ win teams in the last 5-6 years who havent made pool c.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: dp643 on February 27, 2012, 08:02:20 PM
This Trinity Chapman series could seriously make or break Chapman's season. Losing 2 to Trinity and then losing 2 or 3 to Linfield may put them out of pool c contention. We have had plenty of 30+ win teams in the last 5-6 years who havent made pool c.
Chapman will need to go 25-5 in its remaining games to get to 30 wins. Tough thing to ask with games left with Trinity(3), Pac Lu(4), Linfield(4), La Verne(3), Pomona(3), Cal Lu(1), Redlands(3),Clarermont(1)

CrashDavisD3

February 28, 2012
2012 D3baseball.com/NCBWA Top 25
#     School (1st votes)     

Record
    Pts     Prev.
2     Linfield     6-1     558     4
9     Trinity (Texas)     12-1     360     22
11     Chapman     5-5     307     2
23     Concordia (Texas)     11-3     108     -
24     Texas-Tyler     8-3     106     23

Dropped Out: No. 20 Redlands

Also receiving votes: Cal Lutheran 40, Redlands 37, University of Dallas 20, Pomona-Pitzer 17, La Verne 13, Texas-Dallas 7,

The D3baseball.com Top 25 is voted on by a panel of 25 coaches, Sports Information Directors and media members from across the country, and is published weekly. Full members of NCAA Division III are eligible.

108 Stitches

Couple of thoughts on the top 25 polls. 1) I believe there is a tendency for voters to keep teams that were previously ranked and voted for, regardless of performance so these polls tend to have some "weighting effects" in them. 2) Us "guys on the boards" tend to look at recent performance more so than previous votes since we don't have any buy in since they are not publicly distributed. 3) A bunch of teams have not even played a game so I don't think the polls will mean much (other than the teams who have played 10+ games) for the next few weeks.

That said the Linfield, Trinity, Chapman, Concordia, and UTT are all worthy Western  teams.

When do the other coaches polls come out?

I don't know the history of getting a bid regarding number of wins, but I would think that if Chapman gets to 25 wins with their SoS they might get an invite to the tournament. Again I don't know the history and it probably depends on what other teams have done.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 28, 2012, 10:53:00 AM
Couple of thoughts on the top 25 polls. 1) I believe there is a tendency for voters to keep teams that were previously ranked and voted for, regardless of performance so these polls tend to have some "weighting effects" in them. 2) Us "guys on the boards" tend to look at recent performance more so than previous votes since we don't have any buy in since they are not publicly distributed. 3) A bunch of teams have not even played a game so I don't think the polls will mean much (other than the teams who have played 10+ games) for the next few weeks.

That said the Linfield, Trinity, Chapman, Concordia, and UTT are all worthy Western  teams.

I don't know the history of getting a bid regarding number of wins, but I would think that if Chapman gets to 25 wins with their SoS they might get an invite to the tournament. Again I don't know the history and it probably depends on what other teams have done.

I am very surprised Chapman is still in top 25.

Key to Chapman will be there in Region Winning percentage since that is one of the prime criteria used in the Pool C bid selection along with SOS...which right now is 4-4 .500 which would not get them a Pool C bid at the end of the season. Overall record is one of the secondary criteria used and decisions are made before that in most cases.  Win in-region games they go...if not they stay home. Taking 2 of 3 from Trinity would be a good start in turning things around.

BigPoppa

I was not able to vote in the poll this week, but I would have placed Chapman in the 24-30th range. I had them #2 in the pre-season poll so they would have dropped at least 22 spots in one poll from my end.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

OshDude

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 28, 2012, 10:53:00 AM

One team in my top 10 is 0-2. Another in my top 25 is 0-3. Some of the best teams in the country will lose a dozen or more games this season. That written, I don't have a certain 5-5 team in my top 25.

The first two weeks of baseball polls are extremely difficult to gauge with the staggered starts. Your points are well taken and justified, but if you have time, try to create your own top 25 through Monday's games. Mine will be posted in Around the Nation tomorrow. Nine of my 25 are not even ranked, and three top 10 teams were not in my top 25.

It'll work itself out. But in the meantime we all think we're right. And in a way, we are.