Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz Bombers

Quote from: gordonmann on July 10, 2019, 10:37:43 PM
Dean College is the third school in the provisional pipeline. I don't know if they got a waiver, but they did get a new conference.

http://www.deanbulldogs.com/general/2019-20/releases/20190710exsvv3

This reverses GNAC's loss of Suffolk but it also drops the NECC below seven teams for men's basketball. Pending future changes (which are almost a given at this point), the Conference will have seven members but only six men's teams starting in 2020-21 because Bay Path doesn't have men's sports.

impacts on the NECC...

field hockey/men's lacrosse - already combined with the NAC for 1 auto bid**; men's golf - already Pool B anyway; M/W XC-T&F - non-auto bid sports

WBB, WSOC, women's VB, softball - down to 7 teams but hang on to Pool A by their fingernails for now

MSOC, MBB, baseball - grace period begins fall 2020; will be Pool B starting in 2022-23 if no other additions

men's volleyball - grace period starts this fall anyway, Pool B in 2022 season. Only 3 core NECC remaining members will sponsor MVB (Elms, ENC, Lesley), without that number getting up to at least 4 they can never get the auto bid back once they lose it.

women's lacrosse - grace period was already starting 2019-20 due to only 6 remaining teams, that will become 5. B in 2022.

**when Dean leaves, it looks like the combined NECC/NAC FH will only have 6 teams, thus starting the clock to be Pool B in fall 2022. I imagine the 3 remaining NECC men's lacrosse teams (NEC, Becker, Mitchell) will just be absorbed into the 7-team NAC, although Mitchell is a long drive.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Caz Bombers on July 11, 2019, 10:04:08 AM
Quote from: gordonmann on July 10, 2019, 10:37:43 PM
Dean College is the third school in the provisional pipeline. I don't know if they got a waiver, but they did get a new conference.

http://www.deanbulldogs.com/general/2019-20/releases/20190710exsvv3

This reverses GNAC's loss of Suffolk but it also drops the NECC below seven teams for men's basketball. Pending future changes (which are almost a given at this point), the Conference will have seven members but only six men's teams starting in 2020-21 because Bay Path doesn't have men's sports.

impacts on the NECC...

field hockey/men's lacrosse - already combined with the NAC for 1 auto bid**; men's golf - already Pool B anyway; M/W XC-T&F - non-auto bid sports

WBB, WSOC, women's VB, softball - down to 7 teams but hang on to Pool A by their fingernails for now

MSOC, MBB, baseball - grace period begins fall 2020; will be Pool B starting in 2022-23 if no other additions

men's volleyball - grace period starts this fall anyway, Pool B in 2022 season. Only 3 core NECC remaining members will sponsor MVB (Elms, ENC, Lesley), without that number getting up to at least 4 they can never get the auto bid back once they lose it.

women's lacrosse - grace period was already starting 2019-20 due to only 6 remaining teams, that will become 5. B in 2022.

**when Dean leaves, it looks like the combined NECC/NAC FH will only have 6 teams, thus starting the clock to be Pool B in fall 2022. I imagine the 3 remaining NECC men's lacrosse teams (NEC, Becker, Mitchell) will just be absorbed into the 7-team NAC, although Mitchell is a long drive.
Considering mission, vision and geography, where else could Mitchell go if there were a NECC/NAC consolidation (or the NECC being subsumed into another conference) for all sports?

Caz Bombers

Ralph, the CCC is the only league that comes to mind unless the GNAC wants to get even more bloated.

Flying Weasel

And this article makes it sound like Johnson & Wales-Denver has skipped over year two and will be in year three of provisional membership in 2019-20.

JWU Denver successfully completes first year of NCAA provisional membership process
https://denver.jwuathletics.com/general/2018-19/releases/20190627nvtmgx
QuoteIn making the transition from NAIA to NCAA DIII, JWU Denver has now successfully completed its Exploratory Year (2017-18) and first provisional year (2018-19).

Starting Sept. 1, 2019, the Wildcats will officially begin Year 3 of what is traditionally a five-year process.

If this is accurate, this wouldn't just be significant because it means JWU-Denver would reach full, active membership a year sooner, but because games against them would count as in-Division games already this year for ranking and selection purposes (i.e., factor into other team's in-Division WLT record and Strength-of-Schedule in the primary selection criteria).

gordonmann

Good stuff, Flying Weasel and Caz Bombers.

+k to both

Flying Weasel

Quote from: Ryan Stoppable on April 09, 2019, 08:48:23 PM
St. Norbert moves from the Midwest Conference to the NACC starting in 2020-21.
Quote from: gordonmann on June 25, 2019, 12:12:31 AM
Conference Changes Starting in 2020-2021
St. Norbert leaves the MWC for the NACC

Conference Changes Starting in 2021-2022
St. Thomas involuntarily removed from MIAC, will go to ???

The official release on the St. Norbert website says they will join the NACC beginning in the 2021-22 school year.  And on the NACC website, the members pull-down menu lists 2021 for St. Norbert and the St. Norbert page on the NACC website lists 2021-22 as the year they become full members.  I couldn't find an official release from the NACC.

However, almost all other mentions of their move to the NACC, not only by media outlets but by St. Norbert itself, says they will join in 2020-21, including in the St. Norbert College Magazine article and the St. Norbert facebook post and twitter tweet that link to the official release.

So, what is the story?  I would tend to believe the official release and NACC website, but how would it get reported incorrectly by so many outlets and people, including within St. Norbert College itself?  Any insight?

Ryan Stoppable

Quote from: Flying Weasel on July 12, 2019, 03:51:52 PM

The official release on the St. Norbert website says they will join the NACC beginning in the 2021-22 school year.  And on the NACC website, the members pull-down menu lists 2021 for St. Norbert and the St. Norbert page on the NACC website lists 2021-22 as the year they become full members.  I couldn't find an official release from the NACC.

However, almost all other mentions of their move to the NACC, not only by media outlets but by St. Norbert itself, says they will join in 2020-21, including in the St. Norbert College Magazine article and the St. Norbert facebook post and twitter tweet that link to the official release.

So, what is the story?  I would tend to believe the official release and NACC website, but how would it get reported incorrectly by so many outlets and people, including within St. Norbert College itself?  Any insight?

Good catch on that! Please note, the below is pure speculation on my part.

The original news article on the NACC website said they would join in 2020-21. This, combined with the above, would lead me to believe that they originally intended to join the NACC in 20-21 but that it got pushed back a year since the initial announcement, so the current plan is to join in 21-22.
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

Inkblot

Quote from: Flying Weasel on July 12, 2019, 03:13:12 PM
And this article makes it sound like Johnson & Wales-Denver has skipped over year two and will be in year three of provisional membership in 2019-20.

JWU Denver successfully completes first year of NCAA provisional membership process
QuoteIn making the transition from NAIA to NCAA DIII, JWU Denver has now successfully completed its Exploratory Year (2017-18) and first provisional year (2018-19).

Starting Sept. 1, 2019, the Wildcats will officially begin Year 3 of what is traditionally a five-year process.

If this is accurate, this wouldn't just be significant because it means JWU-Denver would reach full, active membership a year sooner, but because games against them would count as in-Division games already this year for ranking and selection purposes (i.e., factor into other team's in-Division WLT record and Strength-of-Schedule in the primary selection criteria).

I don't think they skipped a year. If this is year 3 of 5, the 5 years are the exploratory year plus the four provisional years, which would mean they're still in provisional year 2.
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

Flying Weasel

Quote from: Inkblot on July 12, 2019, 08:14:32 PM
Quote from: Flying Weasel on July 12, 2019, 03:13:12 PM

I don't think they skipped a year. If this is year 3 of 5, the 5 years are the exploratory year plus the four provisional years, which would mean they're still in provisional year 2.

That's almost certainly correct--third of five (counting the exploratory year).  The NCAA would never describe it as such and since I am so used to reading and using the NCAA terminology I simply missed the fairly obvious intention of what was written. If they had used the lower case "third year" I might not have been thrown off, but the uppercase "Year 3" tripped me up, though I did find it hard to believe because it's usually (if not always) Year 3 of Provisional Membership (the fourth year of the five-year process) that is the one that gets waived when a school is exceeding expectations in the transition.  Sorry for generating any unnecessary confusion.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Flying Weasel on July 12, 2019, 03:51:52 PM

The same reason so many textbooks report erroneous information.  Textbook writers rarely use original sources - they copy from one another.  So once one makes an error (IF it is a commonly used text), the error gets perpetuated ad infinitum.  Now why people within St. Norbert itself would continue that, who knows - probably the same lazy copying.

Gregory Sager

Update:

Bump...

Provisional Pipeline for 2019-2020
First year full members: (presume Belhaven)
*4th year provisional members: (presume none)
*3rd year provisional members:  (presume Brevard, Dean, Pfeiffer)
2nd year provisional members: (presume SUNY-Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Col.))
1st year provisional members: Pratt, University of St Thomas (TX), Mississippi University for Women.
Exploratory: Bob Jones, Warren Wilson; Lindenwood-Belleville was initially listed in this group, but announced it is ending most undergraduate programs after 2019-20.
*Games against Year 3 and 4 provisional members count the same as games against full-members for regional-ranking and tournament selection purposes

Conference Changes Starting in 2019-2020
Alfred State leaves the ACAA for the AMCC
UC-Santa Cruz joins the ACAA
Frostburg State leaves D3 for D2
Manhattanville leaves the MACF for the SKY
New Rochelle (IND) closes
Newbury (NECC) closes
Penn State-Harrisburg leaves the CAC for a return to the NEAC
Southern Vermont (NECC) closes
Staten Island leaves D3 for D2 (plays full D3 schedule. Not eligible for post-season)
Stevens leaves the E8 for the MACF
St. Elizabeth leaves the NEAC for the CSAC
SUNY-Delhi joins the NAC
Texas-Tyler leaves D3 for D2
Thomas More leaves D3 for the NAIA

Side note: Simmons discontinues its women's program

Arcadia shifts from the MAC Commonwealth to the MAC Freedom
Eastern shifts from the MAC Freedom to the MAC Commonwealth
Franciscan leaves the AMCC for the Presidents' Athletic Conference
Keuka leaves the NEAC for the E8
Lycoming shifts from the MAC Commonwealth to the MAC Freedom
Suffolk leaves the GNAC for the CCC
Valley Forge leaves the ACAA for the CSAC
York (Pa.) leaves the CAC for the MAC Commonwealth

This was just announced on Thursday.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Inkblot

Apparently SUNY Delhi is staying in the ACAA for basketball and softball this year before they move those sports to the NAC next in 2020–21. This means the ACAA has six schools in men's basketball this year and seven in women's, but SUNY Delhi and Pratt are of course provisional.
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

Caz Bombers

The ACAA just keeps on trying to make fetch happen. It's not gonna happen, guys.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Caz Bombers on July 13, 2019, 03:09:29 PM
The ACAA just keeps on trying to make fetch happen. It's not gonna happen, guys.
The ACAA still allows a school to have Player of the Week, All-Conference and All-Academic awards.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

They're getting close to AQs in a few sports.  I think they'll probably keep plugging away.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere