FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: Sherburne on December 11, 2017, 03:36:15 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on December 11, 2017, 09:00:23 AM
Quote from: MUC57 on December 11, 2017, 07:59:05 AM

Another question before we start to ponder who will win Friday. Does anybody know where Mount's 25 point comeback ranks in playoff history? I'm not sure where to even start. I know we have a few very knowledgable people who will either know or can find out. Just curious. Something to talk about that shouldn't start any arguments.

As long as I'm here, Go Raiders!

It might be tops.  Wittenberg trailed Heidelberg 28-6 in the first half before rallying to win (and really pull away) in 2012.  UMHB lost a 21-0 lead to Linfield (that was the last time they lost a game).  That was also a first half lead.  Wabash trailed 28-7 in the third quarter against North Central and rallied to win 29-28 in 2011.  As incredible as that comeback was, I'm not sure it beats winning on the road in the semis after trailing 35-10 in the third quarter.  I think Saturday's win is pretty epic even by Mount Union standards.

Wally,
Were you at the Wabash game? I did make a two point conversion?
Must have been a rousing time.
Sherb

That was Thanksgiving weekend and I had to watch that one remotely.  I remember that game being 21-0 at halftime and telling my future wife (who thinks I'm just a weee bit too into this) that Wabash was right in the game.  North Central had one legit drive, one big run play that led to a score, and one short field off of a turnover that led to a score.  The defense was actually doing well and if the offense could just find anything at all that could work, they'd have a shot.  Wabash receivers found holes in the North Central zone in the second half, backup QB Tyler Burke had maybe the best and grittiest, guttiest half of football in Wabash history, and the LGs finished the comeback late. 

Also I forgot until I just looked at the boxscore that this game was 28-7 with 12:37 left in the 4th quarter which is when Wabash got possession on the first of their three 4th quarter scoring drives. 

The two pointer?  Oh yeah.  I got that for you right here.  52 seconds left in the game. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Sherburne

I 'heard' that Coach Tomlin had his guys take a Saturday TV short course: MUC:Osh semi. It helped.
Sherb

Sherburne

Wow! Did North Central scare you with their 52 seconds?
Sherb
Quote from: wally_wabash on December 11, 2017, 03:58:14 PM

Another question before we start to ponder who will win Friday. Does anybody know where Mount's 25 point comeback ranks in playoff history? I'm not sure where to even start. I know we have a few very knowledgable people who will either know or can find out. Just curious. Something to talk about that shouldn't start any arguments.

It might be tops.  Wittenberg trailed Heidelberg 28-6 in the first half before rallying to win (and really pull away) in 2012.  UMHB lost a 21-0 lead to Linfield (that was the last time they lost a game).  That was also a first half lead.  Wabash trailed 28-7 in the third quarter against North Central and rallied to win 29-28 in 2011.  As incredible as that comeback was, I'm not sure it beats winning on the road in the semis after trailing 35-10 in the third quarter.  I think Saturday's win is pretty epic even by Mount Union standards.

Wally,
Sherb

That was Thanksgiving weekend and I had to watch that one remotely.  I remember that game being 21-0 at halftime and telling my future wife (who thinks I'm just a weee bit too into this) that Wabash was right in the game.  North Central had one legit drive, one big run play that led to a score, and one short field off of a turnover that led to a score.  The defense was actually doing well and if the offense could just find anything at all that could work, they'd have a shot.  Wabash receivers found holes in the North Central zone in the second half, backup QB Tyler Burke had maybe the best and grittiest, guttiest half of football in Wabash history, and the LGs finished the comeback late. 

Also I forgot until I just looked at the boxscore that this game was 28-7 with 12:37 left in the 4th quarter which is when Wabash got possession on the first of their three 4th quarter scoring drives. 

The two pointer?  Oh yeah.  I got that for you right here.  52 seconds left in the game. 

emma17

I'll try to talk about the painful last game only in relation to your next game.

UWO's defensive style didn't do Mt any favors in terms of preparing the Mt O for the UMHB D. Two and three man rushes from guys that don't look like UMHB's Ajay Fanene (or any of their other D linemen) along with a UWO pass D that played in flag football mode, complete with allowing a 5-second clock to throw, was more like a one-week diversion.

I'm not saying anything folks on this board don't know, it seems if Fulford has a clear window, he'll put it on the money time after time. I guess it will come down to clearing that window.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Sherburne on December 11, 2017, 04:11:01 PM
Sherb

Obviously against a team of that caliber, it's never over until the horn goes off, but you felt good about that 2011 defense holding serve for 52 seconds.  After North Central scored early in the 3rd to go up 28-7, the next handful of possessions went:
3 plays, -3 yards, punt
3 plays, 6 yards, punt
3 plays, 32 yards, fumble (that forced fumble was huge...first offensive momentum for North Central in a while, they were near FG range at the time, and any points here probably makes it impossible for Wabash to come back)
3 plays, 8 yards, punt
- here's where Wabash scores the go ahead touchdown and 2 pointer
7 plays, 18 yards, INT

Ballgame.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Sherburne

Quote from: wally_wabash on December 11, 2017, 04:25:30 PM
Quote from: Sherburne on December 11, 2017, 04:11:01 PM
Sherb

Obviously against a team of that caliber, it's never over until the horn goes off, but you felt good about that 2011 defense holding serve for 52 seconds.  After North Central scored early in the 3rd to go up 28-7, the next handful of possessions went:
3 plays, -3 yards, punt
3 plays, 6 yards, punt
3 plays, 32 yards, fumble (that forced fumble was huge...first offensive momentum for North Central in a while, they were near FG range at the time, and any points here probably makes it impossible for Wabash to come back)
3 plays, 8 yards, punt
- here's where Wabash scores the go ahead touchdown and 2 pointer
7 plays, 18 yards, INT

Ballgame.
Interesting. I'm thinking, game planning includes two-minute offense drill. I've not heard of one-minute defense drill.
Sherb

Dr. Acula

Quote from: merlecanlas on December 11, 2017, 12:49:29 PM
wasn't there some concern on here about Mount being big play only and not being able to sustain drives?  Is 32 first downs a typo?  and only one via penalty?  Yikes

I had my crow medium rare with a little Tobasco for a kick.  The O line played great.  They were a bonehead penalty and a dropped pass away from hanging 50+.

skunks_sidekick

Early roll call.....

THE one and only Skunk (I am truly his sidekick) will be in Salem along with myself and another buddy...

I really need to plan my tailgating so I need to know who is showing up, and can you please list what you are cooking/grilling/serving as I do have higher standards than when I used to first come to the Stagg (although the Stone Station guys were the BEST).   ;D 8-) ;)

My buddy Wesleydad likes craft beer, so I will be bringing a local/Ohio craft that I don't know if it's any good (yah I drink/sell/honk wine now so sue me), but the owner brewer is a buddy of mine and I hear it's good. 

Let's make this last Salem party the best ever, and leave with the heartfelt feeling that it was truly a wonderful experience to interact with the folks in Salem, and all the D-III fans that showed up.

wesleydad

Quote from: skunks_sidekick on December 11, 2017, 07:44:17 PM
Early roll call.....

THE one and only Skunk (I am truly his sidekick) will be in Salem along with myself and another buddy...

I really need to plan my tailgating so I need to know who is showing up, and can you please list what you are cooking/grilling/serving as I do have higher standards than when I used to first come to the Stagg (although the Stone Station guys were the BEST).   ;D 8-) ;)

My buddy Wesleydad likes craft beer, so I will be bringing a local/Ohio craft that I don't know if it's any good (yah I drink/sell/honk wine now so sue me), but the owner brewer is a buddy of mine and I hear it's good. 

Let's make this last Salem party the best ever, and leave with the heartfelt feeling that it was truly a wonderful experience to interact with the folks in Salem, and all the D-III fans that showed up.

Just reserved my room and unless something comes up I will be there.  Haven't taken a day off all school year so I think I deserve one.  Skunk I will also be bringing a good friend of mines craft beer that I know is good since he has one a few medals at the GABF.  I will be bringing an easy to drink IPA, under 5 abv, and a great tasting Pils that is also easy drinking so there will be plenty of brew for us to share with the food providers.  I am trying to decide what time I want to leave since I have to skirt the Baltimore area and dont like traffic so much but I dont want to get there too early.  I am thinking that if I leave around 5 it gets me there after 11 guessing I hit some traffic near Baltimore, will get off 95 well before DC to avoid that mess.  Let me know what everyone's plans are so I can adjust accordingly.  See you all there.

thewaterboy

Quote from: wally_wabash on December 11, 2017, 03:58:14 PM

Wally,
Sherb

Speaking of comebacks, Wesley had one that same week against Linfield in 2011. Trailed 27-7 at half, scored 42 unanswered to win 49-34.

Desertraider

Speaking of comebacks - Wesley was down 31-0 after 1st qtr in 2013 against Mount and lost 62-59. And I am not being a wisea$$ - that was a great comeback.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

D O.C.

QuoteSpeaking of comebacks, Wesley had one that same week against Linfield in 2011. Trailed 27-7 at half, scored 42 unanswered to win 49-34.

MY BAD.

bleedpurple

Congratulations to the Purple Raiders advancement to the Stagg Bowl.  Incredible comeback.  From a historical perspective, it seems only fitting that Mount Union appears in the last Stagg Bowl (at least for now) in Salem.  Of course from a historical perspective you should be playing someone else... ;)

But in spite of the doomsayers, we are closer than people think. We'll be seeing you down the road.

Good luck in Salem.

thewaterboy

Quote from: desertraider on December 11, 2017, 09:21:39 PM
Speaking of comebacks - Wesley was down 31-0 after 1st qtr in 2013 against Mount and lost 62-59. And I am not being a wisea$$ - that was a great comeback.
That was one of my all time favorites... Wesley needed just 1 turnover, but it never came.

mr_mom

Spread and bonus questions have been posted on the OAC Pick-Em board.  Remember, game is on Friday night.  Please get your picks in before the game starts.

Good luck to the Pick-Em players.  Good luck to both teams.  Safe travels for everybody.  Sadly, I won't be able to join you, this last year in my home state.

But will see y'all in Canton!   :D
Never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity.