MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: hopefan on May 29, 2017, 10:23:25 AM
ok, as my guessing game has generated zero interest, I will spill the beans that Kendall Davis is heading to MacMurray for his senior year.  Unhappy at Eureka, Davis evidently had conversation with Mac guard Mike Cameron, whom he had teamed up with on the JC level, and eventually decided to head south to Jacksonville Illinois and Mac..   Mac coach Todd Creal had two successful years when he 'adopted' Deavis Johnson from the CCIW 3 years ago.  With the addition of Davis to the roster and the return of Cameron from injury, Mac quickly returns to top 4 expectations in the SLIAC.  Last season was ugly for the Highlanders, but a number of losses were close and new faces got significant experience.

I'll note, while I had heard this news a while back, I've kept it off these pages until it was confirmed to me by Mac personnel as well as put out in Twitter by Davis.  I feel really bad for Eureka Coach Chip Wilde about this, but I think there is enough left in the Eureka program to be successful..  VERY tough to lose 22 ppg, but maybe things become more comfortable anyway....

I was a bit confused. LOL.  ???  :D So I just dropped it.  :-X
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Heard a rumor, so I'll put this out here.

Before any SLIAC superstars make the decision they are too good for the SLIAC level of play and consider transferring to Upper level D3 or D2, consider the sad case of Stefan Whittingham. In 2012, Whittingham was the Conference MOP, AS A SOPHOMORE, leading Webster to the Conference Championship. Somehow this Florida native then ended up at D2 Lincoln U in Philadelphia. Spent Junior and Senior years on the bench, rarely seeing the floor. Sad, very sad. Averaged 2 ppg over 2 years.

Be happy with the success and recognition you are finding in the SLIAC.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

^^^ I fell the same way. However, we need to realize that there might be other factors that motivate a student--athlete to transfer to an upper division school. Might be financial aid that reduces the cost of getting an education. Might be that the school is a better fit for their educational goals. Could be geography. Could be family considerations. Not saying any of these was the case with Whittingham. Just looking at it from all angles.

Greek Tragedy

Yes, and D2 probably meant some kind of scholarship.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

Plus, Lincoln is an HBCU institution, so perhaps there might've been a social factor involved as well.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hopefan

I keep on hoping some of the SLiAC schools will post schedules or rosters that show us incoming freshmen, but it's evidently still too early.... Greenville as mentioned earlier has writeups on all of their new faces, and the early posting of Eureka's roster showed us the stunning departure of 22 ppg Kendall Davis (later to find he will appear on MacMurray's roster)... now Blackburn has posted their "returnee's roster"... we knew they were losing 4 starters, but their roster appears to be further decimated, as the names of expected returnees Hunter Johnson and Ugo Pierantoni have disappeared.  I saw Hunter Johnson start a game for BC, and felt he could develop into a capable SLIAC player as a 6'4" kid who could run and had some decent basketball sense.. he did need to put on about 20 pounds to help him on the boards.  Pierantoni had one thing going for him, size, and he may have split time with Malcom Scott in the middle... hey, if Nick Trisko could do it, why not Ugo Pierantoni?  Guess we'll never know....   Anyway, hope recruiting has gone well for everyone, because if not, it looks to me like it's going to be a non race in the SLIAC this year, as everyone gets lapped by Westminster, assuming all of their underclassmen return... Everyone else has huge holes to fill or significant improvements to make, although watch out for Macmurray with the addition of Davis and the return of Cameron.

y_jack_lok

^^^No surprise that rosters aren't posted. I've looked for a couple of soccer rosters and even they aren't available yet. Probably waiting for players to arrive for practice (soccer) or start classes (hoops) before posting names.

Got your pm. Will respond before you go to NY.

Greek Tragedy

Man, high expectations! 😂 UWSP doesn't post their schedule until late August and their roster doesn't show up until the beginning of November!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on June 21, 2017, 08:00:10 PM
Man, high expectations! 😂 UWSP doesn't post their schedule until late August and their roster doesn't show up until the beginning of November!

But why?   IF it's out there, show us... I see it from various other schools across the country....  Certainly coaches know what recruits they EXPECT are coming... why not give fans a look... LIKE GREENVILLE does EVERY YEAR.  I'm not as sure when schedules are finalized, but SOME schools already have their schedules posted.  If final, put 'em out there!!  I don't have expectations, just daydreams!!! ;)

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: hopefan on June 21, 2017, 09:21:40 PM

But why?   IF it's out there, show us... I see it from various other schools across the country....  Certainly coaches know what recruits they EXPECT are coming... why not give fans a look... LIKE GREENVILLE does EVERY YEAR.  I'm not as sure when schedules are finalized, but SOME schools already have their schedules posted.  If final, put 'em out there!!  I don't have expectations, just daydreams!!! ;)

I'm with you on schedules being published as soon as possible - give fans a chance to plan for any distant tourneys, etc.  But rosters? How would you be able to do that, given all the variables.  Will the kids you recruited and may have even made a deposit actually show up?  Did you only recruit exactly the number of kids who will fill your varsity roster?  What about "walk-ons" - kids you never recruited who have the skills to play for you?  Do you have tryouts?  Is everyone going to return for sure?
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

hopefan

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on June 22, 2017, 07:57:49 AM

I'm with you on schedules being published as soon as possible - give fans a chance to plan for any distant tourneys, etc.  But rosters? How would you be able to do that, given all the variables.  Will the kids you recruited and may have even made a deposit actually show up?  Did you only recruit exactly the number of kids who will fill your varsity roster?  What about "walk-ons" - kids you never recruited who have the skills to play for you?  Do you have tryouts?  Is everyone going to return for sure?

Note I didn't say FINAL rosters or even rosters... just give us names of kids who were recruited who have indicated they are coming... if they change their mind, so be it.  If they play only Freshmen or JV ball, so be it.  But in the pre-season loll, which seems so long right now, it sure would be fun to spend some time looking up names of HS kids videos and stats, projecting what they might be able to do for our favorite program.  Once again, the CCIW guys with their close association to many of their teams, have it all over many of the rest of us.  Readers already know many of the expected newcomers to those schools.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: hopefan on June 22, 2017, 09:03:15 AM

Note I didn't say FINAL rosters or even rosters... just give us names of kids who were recruited who have indicated they are coming... if they change their mind, so be it.  If they play only Freshmen or JV ball, so be it.  But in the pre-season loll, which seems so long right now, it sure would be fun to spend some time looking up names of HS kids videos and stats, projecting what they might be able to do for our favorite program.  Once again, the CCIW guys with their close association to many of their teams, have it all over many of the rest of us.  Readers already know many of the expected newcomers to those schools.

OK, my bad - I saw roster and ignored the "of incoming freshman" part. 

Time for you to dive into Twitter if you are not already there.  Take a look at this MIAA room page (http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4596.44655).  We have a nice full list of recruits (50 to date) - which were nearly all gleaned from Twitter, by simply following the basketball teams Twitter accounts.  These days, kids who decide to go to a D3 school want the same fun of announcing their decision that a scholarship athlete has, so most of them will tweet it including the twitter account of the basketball team they've chosen to play for. 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

hopefan

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on June 22, 2017, 10:35:55 AM
Quote from: hopefan on June 22, 2017, 09:03:15 AM

OK, my bad - I saw roster and ignored the "of incoming freshman" part. 

Time for you to dive into Twitter if you are not already there.  Take a look at this MIAA room page (http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4596.44655).  We have a nice full list of recruits (50 to date) - which were nearly all gleaned from Twitter, by simply following the basketball teams Twitter accounts.  These days, kids who decide to go to a D3 school want the same fun of announcing their decision that a scholarship athlete has, so most of them will tweet it including the twitter account of the basketball team they've chosen to play for.
;D ;D ;D  Wow I do agree with that...gotta learn this tweetin' stuff, but somehow it is a bit intimidating to me... ???

hopefan

Well.. good for Blackburn, as they are the first SLIAC school to announce their 2017-18 schedule!!!

Non conference games include:
at North Park  (18-8)
vs Gustavus Adolphus (5-20) at North Park
vs Elmhurst (8-17) at Home
at Loras (18-8)
2 games at the St. Norbert Tournament... (where I feel pretty certain they'll open vs St Norbert (19-5))
vs Illinois College (8-15) at Home

4 conference games in Nov/Dec, conference games are regular Wednesday-Saturday schedule with Prin being on a Tuesday evening.

hopefan

Principia becomes the second team to make their full schedule available (it's there if you dig a little)

Their 6 non conference games are:

2 games in Illinois College tourney (opponents not yet shown)    last year MacMurray was in this tourney with Nebraska Wesleyan and Chicago Concordia

Wash U (21-6) at home

2 games in the "Hoops in Hawaii Tourney"   listed as UC Santa Cruz (12-13) and Pacific University  (12-12)         How cool is that!!!

Away at Millikin (3-22)