Author Topic: MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin  (Read 5227298 times)

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • North Park Vikings: Nat'l champs, 1978-79-80-85-87
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin
« Reply #45900 on: April 10, 2017, 04:00:52 pm »
Nice powers of recall there, WUH. I had forgotten all about Giovanine's ploy to up the amperage on Augie's exhibition win over Bradley by touting his players to the press as a bunch of pre-med high achievers. That exhibition game took place two and a half years ago, and I don't think that anybody's mentioned it here since the day after the game, which means that you deserve bonus points for this one.

As comedic fodder goes, Giovanine's post-Bradley brag isn't as funny as the Augustana Medical School joke, but that was still an apt and well-timed quip on your part in response to BW's initial comment regarding Giovanine's recruiting prowess.

"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline Titan Q

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
    • http://www.iwuhoops.com/
« Reply #45901 on: April 10, 2017, 05:23:57 pm »
IWU recruit...

* Colin Cheaney, 6-3 SG Batavia H.S.

https://twitter.com/ccheanz27/status/851541738451873797

http://basketball.dailyherald.com/article/20170302/sports/170309735/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElhNSYmBkBk

* Charlie Bair, 6-6 F/C, Glenbard South H.S.   16.6 ppg, 11.3 rpg
* Colin Cheaney, 6-3 SG, Batavia H.S.   14.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.2 apg
* Eric Higgs, 6-0 PG/SG, Farmington H.S.   25.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.7 spg
* Max Muller, 6-5 G/F, Porta H.S. (Petersburg, IL)   21.1 ppg, 8.1 rpg
* Grant Wolfe, 6-0 PG, Effingham H.S.   20.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 5.5 apg
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:50:42 am by Titan Q »

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45902 on: April 10, 2017, 08:21:14 pm »
I don't know how hard they were on him, but I know that the Augustana coaches were after Cheaney, too.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.. -- John Wooden

Offline WUH

• All-American
  • In Bears I trust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45903 on: April 11, 2017, 08:58:17 am »
As comedic fodder goes, Giovanine's post-Bradley brag isn't as funny as the Augustana Medical School joke, but that was still an apt and well-timed quip on your part in response to BW's initial comment regarding Giovanine's recruiting prowess.

I think that pre-med program quote stuck with me because I work with so many students who begin their career determined to go to medical school, but end up in management consulting.  Nothing against Augustana, but I am not sure there are many liberal arts institutions that can sell themselves on medical school admissions.

Offline Smitty Oom

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45904 on: April 11, 2017, 09:36:05 am »

I think that pre-med program quote stuck with me because I work with so many students who begin their career determined to go to medical school, but end up in management consulting.  Nothing against Augustana, but I am not sure there are many liberal arts institutions that can sell themselves on medical school admissions.

I know that basically all of the MIAC schools (all are Private Liberal Art schools), from Concordia to St. Olaf, pride themselves on not only great health profession school admissions but preparing their students well for their graduate studies.

Offline WUH

• All-American
  • In Bears I trust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45905 on: April 11, 2017, 12:41:11 pm »
I know that basically all of the MIAC schools (all are Private Liberal Art schools), from Concordia to St. Olaf, pride themselves on not only great health profession school admissions but preparing their students well for their graduate studies.

A lot of private liberal arts colleges punch above their weight in regards to graduate and professional school admissions, but I was thinking specifically of MD or DO admissions.  It is true though that a lot of medical schools host great programs in everything from biostatistics to physical therapy and beyond.

Offline Veinteuno

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45906 on: April 11, 2017, 08:54:59 pm »
Augustana's pre-Ned program actually seems to be pretty stellar. https://www.augustana.edu/academics/areas-of-study/pre-medicine

Offline iwumichigander

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #45907 on: April 11, 2017, 09:09:05 pm »

A lot of private liberal arts colleges punch above their weight in regards to graduate and professional school admissions, but I was thinking specifically of MD or DO admissions.  It is true though that a lot of medical schools host great programs in everything from biostatistics to physical therapy and beyond.
Outside of WashU, other UAA schools and a certain CCIW school that places 80% of students in Pre-Med tracks on first try to MD or DO medical school admissions.  Of course, a student has to be willing to live in the science hall 7x24 and wear green colored glasses! And, it's Pre-Denistry track has similar results.

Offline WUH

• All-American
  • In Bears I trust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45908 on: April 12, 2017, 10:26:58 am »
80% is an impressive percentage for any institution.

That is 2% higher than ours over the last four years.

It would be interesting to know how many students arrive in Bloomington with plans to go to medical school, how many still plan to go to medical school after completing general and organic chemistry and how many eventually apply.

Offline markerickson

• All-Region
    • View Profile
« Reply #45909 on: April 12, 2017, 12:07:53 pm »
I know my close friend got into his first med school of choice (Indiana) and he boasted (decades ago) that North Park's placement rate exceeded 90%.  I have no idea what the rate is these days.
Buttermaker:  "Tanner, do you want to quit?"
Tanner:  "Crud no, I wanna play ball."

Offline magicman

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45910 on: April 14, 2017, 04:45:25 am »
WUH,
Quoting Coach G on the pre-med statement and then locating it to prove your point was great. Plus K.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45911 on: April 14, 2017, 02:15:03 pm »
For what it's worth, Collin Uveges, a 6'2 guard from South Elgin, is tweeting that he is going to be playing basketball for Wheaton next year.

Offline Gregory Sager

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45912 on: April 14, 2017, 02:49:26 pm »
I've been told that a lot of the Academic All-American process has to do with a school's sports information department and how hard it works at making it happen.

Offline 4samuy

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45913 on: April 14, 2017, 02:59:22 pm »
I would agree much of that is probably true. But I would think someone on whatever NCAA committee votes on these individuals, has to do some sort of due diligence on the individual and the achievements, right?

Offline AndOne

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #45914 on: April 14, 2017, 08:27:46 pm »
NCC RECRUIT

North Central is glad to announce that they have received a commitment from 6'1" PG/SG Ryan Hodge of Rock Island Alleman HS. Ryan averaged 10.8 PPG, 4.0 APG, and 2.5 RPG.
In addition to his basketball skills, Ryan is a superior student with a 4.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
You don't always have to win every game. You just have to win the right ones. (AndOne)

There ain't no good guys, there ain't no bad guys-----there's only you and me, and we just disagree.
(Dave Mason)

You gotta lose to know how to win. (Aerosmith)

So who's the hunter 🐅, ........ and who's the game 🐃? (Scandal)