MLB Topics

Started by Mr. Ypsi, February 08, 2008, 06:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Not sure how rare this is, but first time for Miguel Cabrera.  In the bottom of the eleventh, he had a 'walk-off walk'!  Two Blue Jays' pitchers totally imploded: a walk, a sac bunt, new pitcher; an out, a fielding error, a walk, and the walk to Miggy.

He'd had scads of walk-off hits, and 16 previous bases-loaded walks, but this was his first walk-off walk!

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on July 16, 2017, 10:28:53 PM
Not sure how rare this is, but first time for Miguel Cabrera.  In the bottom of the eleventh, he had a 'walk-off walk'!  Two Blue Jays' pitchers totally imploded: a walk, a sac bunt, new pitcher; an out, a fielding error, a walk, and the walk to Miggy.

He'd had scads of walk-off hits, and 16 previous bases-loaded walks, but this was his first walk-off walk!

It is probably more common than you think.  I see my share of games in person and on TV and have seen the walk off hit, home run, walk, balk, error, pb, wp.  Not sure I have ever seen a walk-off strikeout.

I am always surprised how rare having three assists in an inning is, ~0.1-0.2% of innings played

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Jim Dixon on June 17, 2017, 09:21:28 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 16, 2017, 09:36:18 PM
From the Department of REALLY Obscure Records:

Ian Kinsler did something tonight that must be vanishingly rare if not unprecedented.  He was the third out in three consecutive innings! :o  Add in that he led off the game with a home run, and I'd be willing to bet serious money that no one has EVER had that particular sequence of outcomes! ;D

It is hard enough to get three ABs in three consecutive innings

A much more satisfying three-inning stretch for Ian Kinsler tonite:  in the first three innings in KC (against Cy Young candidate Jason Vargas [12-3, 2.60 ERA]) he went double, triple, triple!

Ralph Turner

Rather than starting a new topic, I will post this link here.

The Last American Baseball-Glove Maker Refuses to Die
In a small town outside Dallas, niche manufacturer Nokona is hanging on. How?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-08-14/the-last-american-baseball-glove-maker-refuses-to-die

Mr. Ypsi

Joey Gallo (Texas Rangers) is hitting a pathetic .208, having just 69 hits all season.  But 34 of those hits are home runs!  Having over 49% of your hits be homers has just got to be some kind of a record. :o

Mr. Ypsi

A very elementary question for whomever:

What is the difference between a two-seam and four-seam fastball?  Based on the names, I assume there is a difference in grip, but what is the difference (real or perceived) in the behavior of the ball?  Some pitchers throw only one or the other, but many go back and forth, so I assume they at least believe the ball acts differently.

(BTW, Joey Gallo had both a double and a HR in tonight's game, so he now has 35 HRs and 36 hits of every other shade!)

Bombers798891

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 16, 2017, 12:14:33 PM
Joey Gallo (Texas Rangers) is hitting a pathetic .208, having just 69 hits all season.  But 34 of those hits are home runs!  Having over 49% of your hits be homers has just got to be some kind of a record. :o

Near as I can tell, McGwire and Bonds topped out at 46-47%. Neither were poor hitters however. They simply drew a lot of walks

Mr. Ypsi

An incredible pitchers' duel in Detroit today (at least early on): for four innings it was a double perfect game.  Justin Verlander walked a Dodger in the top of the fifth, while Maeda stayed perfect in the bottom of the fifth, so still a double no-hitter after five.  In the top of the 6th, former Tiger Curtis Granderson hit a solo HR to break up both Verlander's no-hitter and shutout.  But when the Tigers finally broke thru on Maeda, they did so big time - five hits and four runs in the bottom of the sixth.

I think I recall a double no-hitter lasting 5 innings, but pretty sure a double perfect game for 4 innings is a first (at least for me).

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 20, 2017, 05:51:35 PM
An incredible pitchers' duel in Detroit today (at least early on): for four innings it was a double perfect game.  Justin Verlander walked a Dodger in the top of the fifth, while Maeda stayed perfect in the bottom of the fifth, so still a double no-hitter after five.  In the top of the 6th, former Tiger Curtis Granderson hit a solo HR to break up both Verlander's no-hitter and shutout.  But when the Tigers finally broke thru on Maeda, they did so big time - five hits and four runs in the bottom of the sixth.

I think I recall a double no-hitter lasting 5 innings, but pretty sure a double perfect game for 4 innings is a first (at least for me).

For you is right.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/no-hitter-hitters-both-teams-hits-double-dual-pitchers-teams/1amb0mpgsu0hb13byfujqcv9nt

https://calltothepen.com/2016/05/02/cincinnati-reds-and-chicago-cubs-pitch-dual-no-hitters/

https://sportslifer.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/the-10-greatest-pitching-duels-in-mlb-history/

Jim Dixon

This is the greatest MLB pitching game I have been in the stands to watch.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SFN/SFN198309110.shtml

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jim Dixon on August 20, 2017, 10:35:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 20, 2017, 05:51:35 PM

For you is right.

https://sportslifer.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/the-10-greatest-pitching-duels-in-mlb-history/
IMHO, #10, the May 28, 2000, Red Sox 2-0 win over the Yankees is a paean to recent history and a chance to include a "Red Sox-Yankees" game.

Ralph Turner

My most memorable MLB pitching game I have been in the stands to watch.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TEX/TEX198908220.shtml

Nolan Ryan's 5000th strikeout, Rickie Henderson.

The AL West leading A's beat the Rangers 2-0 and Eck got the save.

hopefan

Hadn't noted this page before... but my 2nd biggest baseball thrill (behind Maz's HR in the '60 series), is written about in the accompanying article...

why a thrill??... well, I was in attendance... to see the Buccos beat Koufax and Drysdale (in their prime) in a doubleheader.   I've often wondered if Koufax and Drysdale EVER took a doubleheader loss besides this day in 1965...

https://www.bucsdugout.com/2015/9/2/9229773/pennant-race-flashback-september-1-1965
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Bombers798891

Quote from: Ralph Turner on August 21, 2017, 01:14:34 PM

IMHO, #10, the May 28, 2000, Red Sox 2-0 win over the Yankees is a paean to recent history and a chance to include a "Red Sox-Yankees" game.

Probably. But it's also sort of a boring list if we don't make any adjustment for era, so it's all games in the deadball era, or an era where guys went 11 or more innings—which is how I'd categorize 8 of the other 9 games listed—and Dodger Stadium in 1965 wasn't exactly a hitter's haven. The pitchers in question were also great. Sure, Roy Halladay once threw 10 scoreless innings to beat the Nate Cornejo-led Tigers, but well, Nate Cornejo.

Mr. Ypsi

Hard luck story for today:

The Dodgers' Rich Hill had a perfect game into the 9th, when a fielding error by a teammate wrecked that.  He still had a no-hitter into the tenth, when Josh Hamilton hit a lead-off, walk-off homer.

I can't recall: since he went nine, does he get credit for a no-hitter or not?