BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShineTime

Uwsp didn't get a single vote in preseason national top 25 poll anyone know the last time that has happened?  Is it safe to say point is no longer an annual national title contender?
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

BigPoppa

I am guessing that the UW-O fight is just beginning and sadly, the current coaching staff will be caught in the middle. I'd assume most of the big donors/alumni are loyal to Coach Lechnir and will support him in the event this case is re-opened.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Just Bill

Quote from: cubs on February 01, 2017, 09:46:48 PM
Quote from: Just Bill on February 01, 2017, 10:35:12 AM
Quote from: BigPoppa on January 30, 2017, 09:40:36 AM
I'd be curious to know when current Oshkosh Head Coach's contract ends and if the timing worked out (we all know this play out a while in the courts), if Lechnir would prefer the job back over a settlement?

Virtually no one who sues to "get their job back" every actually takes their job back. There's usually too many hurdles and headaches for the employer to overcome, and the employee realizes how difficult it would be to actually go back to the workplace that you sued. So it almost always ends up coming down to a settlement.

The only one I ever heard of, was a teacher who was fired, but won his case. He was reinstated into his teaching job, but placed in a different school in the district because it was such an awkward situation. Even that didn't last, as I believe that he and the district agreed that he would continue searching for jobs until he found another.
Well, according to this article from today, it sounds as if the only way Coach Lechnir will feel vindicated is if he is back in the dugout coaching UWO again.....

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/story/sports/columnists/gary-damato/2017/02/01/damato-plenty-fight-left-ousted-uw-oskhosh-coach-tom-lechnir/97264972/?hootPostID=6123d9968a15ef6c5b289c0dde180316

If that's what it's going to take for him to be happy, he's going to die a sad man. He may be right, he may win his case, he may squeeze every dollar and every apology out of UW-Oshkosh, but I'll go down that's he's never coaching there again.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

cubs

Quote from: Just Bill on February 02, 2017, 10:08:01 AM
Quote from: cubs on February 01, 2017, 09:46:48 PM
Quote from: Just Bill on February 01, 2017, 10:35:12 AM
Quote from: BigPoppa on January 30, 2017, 09:40:36 AM
I'd be curious to know when current Oshkosh Head Coach's contract ends and if the timing worked out (we all know this play out a while in the courts), if Lechnir would prefer the job back over a settlement?

Virtually no one who sues to "get their job back" every actually takes their job back. There's usually too many hurdles and headaches for the employer to overcome, and the employee realizes how difficult it would be to actually go back to the workplace that you sued. So it almost always ends up coming down to a settlement.

The only one I ever heard of, was a teacher who was fired, but won his case. He was reinstated into his teaching job, but placed in a different school in the district because it was such an awkward situation. Even that didn't last, as I believe that he and the district agreed that he would continue searching for jobs until he found another.
Well, according to this article from today, it sounds as if the only way Coach Lechnir will feel vindicated is if he is back in the dugout coaching UWO again.....

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/story/sports/columnists/gary-damato/2017/02/01/damato-plenty-fight-left-ousted-uw-oskhosh-coach-tom-lechnir/97264972/?hootPostID=6123d9968a15ef6c5b289c0dde180316

If that's what it's going to take for him to be happy, he's going to die a sad man. He may be right, he may win his case, he may squeeze every dollar and every apology out of UW-Oshkosh, but I'll go down that's he's never coaching there again.
I would guess the odds would say the same thing....
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

TitanDoubles

Quote from: Baseball Geek on February 03, 2017, 02:45:54 PM
And here we go ...

http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2017/01/preview/midwest-preview
How much do the guys who write the articles actually know?

Bartelt stepped down as HC at Marian because he's the AD...

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: TitanDoubles on February 07, 2017, 01:42:36 PM
And here we go ...

They are volunteers, so some know a lot some not so much. In the past some of the mideast reviews have been very good (thanks spence(I believe you used to do the mideast)) Other years certain conferences have very little info posted. A lot of it depends on the time the volunteer puts into it. I am sure Jim Dixon will take any volunteers who know more.

BigPoppa

And here we go ...

Writing those is a lot of time and research and not always having a connection to get the info. I walked away from writing the Central Preview as I didn't feel I had the time to devote to doing it properly... not that I don't follow the Central as closely as before as I am often reading scores/stories while on the bus heading home from a high school road game.

I know Jim would love the help if anyone is volunteering their time and efforts.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Westside

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 07, 2017, 03:19:34 PM
And here we go ...

Writing those is a lot of time and research and not always having a connection to get the info. I walked away from writing the Central Preview as I didn't feel I had the time to devote to doing it properly... not that I don't follow the Central as closely as before as I am often reading scores/stories while on the bus heading home from a high school road game.

I know Jim would love the help if anyone is volunteering their time and efforts.

Truth. On top of that, as someone that votes and writes for the West Region, so much depends on the schools that actually get us information. For the West this year, we had like... 10 schools total from the four conferences reply back with information. Heck, half the teams haven't even updated their rosters on their pages by the time the previews were written. And the d3 landscape changes a ton with transfers, injuries, early graduates, etc. that we have no access to. So it can be tough  :-\
NWC Baseball

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Westside on February 09, 2017, 02:18:47 AM
Quote from: BigPoppa on February 07, 2017, 03:19:34 PM
And here we go ...

Truth. On top of that, as someone that votes and writes for the West Region, so much depends on the schools that actually get us information. For the West this year, we had like... 10 schools total from the four conferences reply back with information. Heck, half the teams haven't even updated their rosters on their pages by the time the previews were written. And the d3 landscape changes a ton with transfers, injuries, early graduates, etc. that we have no access to. So it can be tough  :-\
Yes I learned long ago that if my school is not being covered by D3 baseball, it is probably because the SID does not reply to the inquiry and does not take advantage of the D3 page.

ShineTime

I overheard a conversation last evening at the quandt and heard a credible person state the pointer baseball team will be lucky to finish 500.  I pray to god that's not true.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

Baseball Geek

And the Perfect Game preseason rankings have published. Interesting flip-flop on Whitewater and La Crosse.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=13502

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Baseball Geek on February 10, 2017, 11:55:10 AM
And the Perfect Game preseason rankings have published. Interesting flip-flop on Whitewater and La Crosse.

I think this might be the best preseason ranking.  Of course it mirrors my ballot in the preseason Top 25.

Baseball Geek

Quote from: Jim Dixon on February 10, 2017, 01:43:31 PM
Quote from: Baseball Geek on February 10, 2017, 11:55:10 AM

I think this might be the best preseason ranking.  Of course it mirrors my ballot in the preseason Top 25.

The difference in perspective for the two WIAC teams is noteworthy, but in general PG and D3B/NCWBA disagree on more teams (position, or even inclusion) than I would have expected.

badgerwarhawk

Given LaCrosse just graduated arguably the best senior class in their program's history and considering what we return I don't think the flip flop is that unexpected.  Of course this is just preseason speculation and personally I don't put a lot of stock in it.  I'd rather be ranked ahead of them in May. But it does make for interesting discussion.

"Just think twice is my only advice."