The Big Dance

Started by Falconer, November 05, 2018, 03:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3Grad

Quote from: diamondJOEY on December 13, 2018, 09:30:06 AM
Quote from: D3Grad on December 12, 2018, 06:47:20 PM
Quote from: diamondJOEY on December 12, 2018, 12:42:18 PM
I cant wait for the North region to get some quality teams back into it.
The North has been in it?  It just hasn't been Loras as previous years.  I personally have no interest in promoting Loras and it's "soccer" style.  It is disgraceful and quite distasteful to watch.  If they choose to put the ball on the ground and string more than 3 passes then I do change my stance on the program, but not until then.
I meant that in the past 2-3 years it really has just been St. Thomas who looks dangerous enough to make a solid run. When the MIAC and IIAC are strong, its really exciting to watch. As to Loras' style of play, while it may be distasteful to watch, i dont see why people put it down so much. I think maybe the coaches have figured out that the rules are different from what you watch on tv. Theres unlimited subs, the clock stops...It creates a different sport with different strategy. With the amount of people you can play in a college match, why wouldnt you want to speed up the tempo and force people to run more, its not cheating, its taking advantage of the rules that are in play...just a thought
As a player I did enjoy playing quality teams in the region and the IIAC only really produced such.  The top teams were Luther and Loras.  Luther was top quality in 2016.  That team could have gone to at least Sweet 16 had it not played St. Thomas in the R32.   Loras was much better 4+ years ago vs recent.  They played with an aggression that was unparalleled by anyone else in my four years.  They did have the ball on the ground a tad bit more than recent teams.  The quality has diminished to the point where it is a complete deviation from soccer rather than a manipulation of the tactics.  Long throws are a manipulation of the game.  Putting the ball 30 feet in the air over and over before even stringing 2 passes is not a manipulation.
A tactical look at Loras soccer is Catenaccio.  An old Italian style where they play man-to-man all across the field with one floating sweeper.  This style was for defensive presence and was balanced with "innovative" at the time long balls from the defenders.  Now yes this is a tactic but they have deviated so much to where the ball is never on the ground.  From my recollection Loras 4+ years ago performed it exceptionally well. 

diamondJOEY

Spot On! Great analysis. What i am hoping for is that they can get some of that quality back. Really loved the IIAC and MIAC competitiveness that we saw a few years back.

irapthor

Just got a chance to read all the feedback from the championship and really happy to hear everyone enjoyed the content. Dave and I have been working together for 3 years in this role and I think we've gotten better together each year...we balance each other well, both being soccer players turned media/SIDs who know Division III. I think we will find ways to be even better next year and pre-recorded interviews could be an option.

I actually didn't play in college by choice...I had to make a choice between volleyball and soccer and I chose volleyball because I entered college playing for one of the better high school programs in the country...but after college picked up playing again and haven't stopped...I'm 41 and still playing GK in the top amateur league in NJ...And have coached the sport for over a decade on the travel level while balancing a career in college athletic communications.

I see a lot of championships on TV where the announcers don't know the division, the conferences or the teams and you can tell while watching. Dave and I follow these teams all year long and take the time to speak with the coaches leading up to the championships. In fact, that's my favorite part about the championship prep. My conversations with Coach Apple, Coach Shapiro and Coach Souders were so much fun.
Ira Thor
Award-winning former 20-year SID and Assistant AD at New Jersey City University. Current Chief Communications Officer. NY/NJ and national professional and collegiate PA announcer, PBP announcer and commentator. D3hoops.com Top voter since 2002......Howell Township (NJ) Board of Education...Husband/father of 3. Hasbeen soccer goalkeeper.

MaturinNYC

I was there live for the mens semi's, but i caught your final broadcast on the way home and re-watched the semi's as well, and you can tell that you two are practiced at and enjoy doing it. D3 Soccer is lucky to have committed, knowledgeable and informed commentators!  Btw, you alluded to the fact that you were "under a tent" for Calvin/Chicago, was that the midfield tent on the turf, or outside of the press box? And why - did somebody forget to unlock a door?
Father, club & HS coach, sometime ref and ever a fan of the game

Ommadawn

Quote from: irapthor on December 16, 2018, 12:24:45 AM
Dave and I follow these teams all year long and take the time to speak with the coaches leading up to the championships. In fact, that's my favorite part about the championship prep. My conversations with Coach Apple, Coach Shapiro and Coach Souders were so much fun.

Did you not speak with Coach Babst, too, or was that conversation not as much fun?  ???  ;)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: MaturinNYC on December 16, 2018, 03:18:24 PM
I was there live for the mens semi's, but i caught your final broadcast on the way home and re-watched the semi's as well, and you can tell that you two are practiced at and enjoy doing it. D3 Soccer is lucky to have committed, knowledgeable and informed commentators!  Btw, you alluded to the fact that you were "under a tent" for Calvin/Chicago, was that the midfield tent on the turf, or outside of the press box? And why - did somebody forget to unlock a door?

The tent was around midway down the right hand side at the top of the bleachers. The school (UNC-Greensboro) indicated to both the NCAA (committees/liaison) and the broadcast crew that "that is how it was last year." It wasn't how it was set-up last year.

Ira and I ... pulled rank? Not sure how to describe it, but we did our best for Game 1 (not sure how that broadcast didn't sound like crap ... oh right, the teams put on a show LOL) and then asked to get things changed. Our crew was amazing moving us inside to the press box, where we were last year, between Games 1 and 2 flawlessly. Really impressive.

Also, hat's off to the NCAA committees and liaisons who realized we were not trying to be "divas" or something and that set-up wasn't appropriate for any broadcast ... and making sure to help accomplish what was needed.

I personally think someone just mis-remembered the set-up ... or didn't think the idea through. You can't put broadcasters outside, even under a tent, with equipment and exposed to the elements especially for four games in one day.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

irapthor

Quote from: Ommadawn on December 16, 2018, 05:43:05 PM
Quote from: irapthor on December 16, 2018, 12:24:45 AM
Dave and I follow these teams all year long and take the time to speak with the coaches leading up to the championships. In fact, that's my favorite part about the championship prep. My conversations with Coach Apple, Coach Shapiro and Coach Souders were so much fun.

Did you not speak with Coach Babst, too, or was that conversation not as much fun?  ???  ;)

I tried on multiple occasions to get an interview set up but was unsuccessful :(

You can only do so much...their athletics office never responded to me...so I did other research to get caught up...
Ira Thor
Award-winning former 20-year SID and Assistant AD at New Jersey City University. Current Chief Communications Officer. NY/NJ and national professional and collegiate PA announcer, PBP announcer and commentator. D3hoops.com Top voter since 2002......Howell Township (NJ) Board of Education...Husband/father of 3. Hasbeen soccer goalkeeper.