WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheatonc

Steve:

Lori Kerans and Beth Baker are two of the classiest coaches around.  As disappointed as Beth was in not getting a tournament bid on Sunday night, she stayed to listen to the men's NCAA conference call, and when Wheaton's name was announced, she was ecstatic for the men's coaches and team.  That says volumes about Beth and the team player she is here at Wheaton!

Steve

I agree, Wheaton C, as a former Wheaton assistant coach used to say, they are the Matriarchs of the CCIW. They have been here since the beginning. Whatever respect the CCIW is gaining is because of their committment.

Mr. Ypsi

Steve,

As a PRIMARILY men's board poster, I didn't want you to have to just talk to yourself!  http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Barring transfers, injuries, incredible recruits, etc., if you can't beat out Millikin in '06, congratulations on your '07 title!

Steve

Thanks Cabonney, that's a little inside joke with some friends of mine, but a little conversation is always welcome here.

dtown2

Congrats Millikin!!!

Steve

Millikin knocked off WashU and will play Stout next Friday.

Steve

Freshman Lindsey Ippel scored 20 points against Wash U after scoring 26 against IWU. These next three years could be very interesting with Trenz and Ippel going at it. There both 6'2" and only freshman.

Steve

Ippel scored 21 points and grabbed 19 rebounds against Stout as Millikin advanced to the Elite 8.  This is an amazing emergence for Ippel.

bigregg

This isn't much of a surprise for anyone that has followed Ippel during her time at St. Teresa High School.  I went to high school with her and watched her after I graduated on their way to state.  She's a tough player and loves a "big" game.  Millikin has something to look forward to for the next three years.  Good luck to Lindsey and Christy and the whole Millikin team tomorrow.

Steve

Millikin 63, Calvin 56. Millikin's going to the Final Four!

Steve

Lori Kerans was a player on the 1985 Millikin team that went to the Final Four.  She started coaching the team the next year.  

I think this is the first time a CCIW women's basketball team has made the Final Four, since the league started in 1986.  North Central won the second ever national championship (1982 I think?)

It would be pretty cool if they win it all and the CCIW would have both the women's soccer and basketball champions. To go from no women's championships (since the league began in '86) to two championships in one year would be incredible.

Steve

Millikin will play either Springfield or Southern Maine. Randolph-Macon and Scranton will play the other semifinal.

Mr. Ypsi

I'm really hoping for a CCIW vs. ODAC showdown for the championship - both are elite conferences on the men's side (ODAC certainly LESS elite, but clearly among the top ten), but neither has previously had a team even reach the final four on the women's side.

The dramatic break-through by both conferences' women would be all-the-sweeter in a year when neither conference even reached the sectionals in the men's tourney!

blueblooded1331

what's the word on how Millikin will fare against the winner of Southern Maine/Springfield (and who's likely to win that SM/Springfield game)? Don't know too much about these teams...

Pat Coleman

Southern Maine should win that game, but they lost one of their best players shortly before the tournament, who was kicked off the team. They seem to be doing alright without her for now and should win Sunday, but you never know.