MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Final: IWU 78, Carthage 59.  It was worse with 2 minutes to go. ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: TitansIWU on February 09, 2013, 10:16:13 PM
At the risk of being deemed full of myself, congratulations to the Titans!!!!!!!!!!!

Surprised they didn't bring Bosko in.

Don't think Bosko could have helped.  But they sure could have used his son!

kiko

North Central over Augie, 76-62.

This was a tale of two halves.  Augie led by 16 late in the first half and by 14 (37-23) at the break.  The Cards struggled to get into any sort of rhythm, turning the ball over 12 times in the half and shooting just 39%.  Landon Gamble was essentially invisible.

Vince Kmiec hit a trio of threes early in the second half to bring the lead back down into single digits, and honestly, even when it was an 8- or 9-point gap, the Cards seemed in control.  They finally drew level at around the 7:30 mark and basically pulled away from there.  Augie got within two on a bailout three with around 2:00 to go, but the Cards got a three-point play on the other end and pulled away on FTs from there.  The Cards shot 15-25 from the field in the second half and turned the ball over only twice.  Their experience, and Augustana's youth, both were on full display in the last ten minutes.

Scoring:
Aaron Tiknis with 21
Jack Merrithey off the bench with 15, including 12 in H2
Landon Gamble with 13 after hitting just one of his first six
Vince Kmeic with 11
Derek Raridon with 10

Dan Jurgutis had 18 for the Vikes, with 14 of these in the first half
Mark Roth had 13
Ben Ryan with 8

This was the best game (well, half) that the Cards have played on the road in a while.  And Augie is going to be very strong in time as their puppies grow into full-fledged Augie Doggies.

Mr. Ypsi

Kevin Reed with a monster game for the Titans - 22 points and 8 rebounds, on 10-10 from the field.  (He did miss two, but was fouled both times; doesn't count as a shot?)

Rebounds: IWU 42, Carthage 16!!

Mr. Ypsi

Congratulations to Tyler Pierce, who hit 1,000 points tonight.  He is one BIG dude - looked on the videocast like Charles Barkley!

iwu70

Coach Rose and the Titans should be, rightly, full of themselves tonight after another superb performance.  We Titan nation fans just come along for the joyful ride. Usually something good to cheer about, year after year.  A happy, long ride for both Titan squads as they bus back to Bloomington.  Congrats to Coach Rose, all his staff, and all the Titans.  A great season to date, and an outright CCIW championship, the first I believe since 2005. 

Four starters in double figures, excellent D and ball movement.  A few too many TOs, but I'm not complaining.  Reed with 22 and 8, Zman with 10 and 11, Sodemann and Overstreet in double figures an Dylan with a ton of assists.  Mayberger with 12 off the bench, hitting several killer treys at key moments to jolt the Carthage zone.  I think the RB carnage was 42-16.

Gotta love the team play, the unselfish play with many others making contributions.  Frankly, if I was voting, don't know whether I'd vote for Reed or Zman for first team All-CCIW.  Both have played superbly in these league games.  Best game for Reed as a Titan tonight, IMHO.  Overstreet is the straw that stirs the drink and rightly deserves CCIW first-team status, IMHO.

Big comeback win by NC tonight over Augie, @AC.  Should be a great game, IWU vs. NCC, for the last game of the CCIW season/year.  Keep it rolling, Green, don't let up on Senior Night vs. MU, and then go for the undefeated CCIW season.  Why not?

My compliments to the CC coverage, TV/video feed and pretty darn good commentators too.  Enjoyed the evening in Tarble all 'round.  Two Ws, just what the rah-rah Titan nation ordered.  :)

Greetings to all Titan fans and CCIW chatster friends from the Far Side, where it is already the first morning of the Year of the Snake.  Firecrackers are bursting out all over the traditional New Territories Village, Chek Nai Ping, just here behind the CUHK campus.  Snakes are chasing away Dragons, Dragon Year giving way to Snake Year.  Wishing everyone a most happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.  Hope you get lots and lots of "red packets."

Keep it rolling, Titans . . . and congratulations again on the CCIW title.  12-0!!!

IWU70

iwu70

Hey, Pat, got my icon mo back.  Thanks.  Ypsi will be tickled pink, or green.  Guess folks do smile in China afterall.

All the Titan nation is smiling tonight.  (and to think Brady Zimmer was in street clothes.  Lexi Baltes looked pretty well-recovered, playing pretty well tonight after her ankle injury).

IWU70

Mr. Ypsi

Agree with Mark that the Carthage broadcasters were generally excellent, but they blew it a bit in the postgame (which I'm still listening to), saying IWU should make it to Atlanta for the Final Four (where it is replacing for one year only Salem) - WRONG.  The title game only is in Atlanta, a full two weeks after the quarters and semis are played in Salem.  The way they have been playing since the calendar turned over, I like their chances for Salem (especially since there would seem to be a good chance that all their games until then will be at home); I HOPE for Atlanta, but am currently making no predictions.

And what a wonderful evening for the Titans in Kenosha!  The Carthage women started the night 11-0, finished it 11-1.  The Titan men started the evening 11-0, finished it 12-0! ;D

iwu70

Hey, Ypsi, you are so right -- great night in Kenosha.  Very proud of our Titans, going into hostile territory and playing so very well.

I agree with you on a possible run to Salem, not sure about ATL either.  Sure will be interesting to see how it all plays out, with the new format and schedule and all.   Would be nice to have a game or two at Shirk in the Dance.  Sorry I'm not still there.  Hopefully our good class of '70 friends and my folks will be there to cheer them on.  Would great for the women to win the CCIW tourney and get the AQ afterall.  I think it very tough.  Carthage is very very good.  Makes tonight's big win in OT on the women's side all that much more meaningful and gratifying. 

Yes, CC coverage was good.  They missed a few things, calling Kevin Reed "Nick Anderson"for about the first 3-4 minutes of the game, but they called it pretty well, gave good commentary for the home side and generally applauded the good play of our squad.  Camera work and feed to here in HK was excellent.  Thanks to the CC crew and team.  An evening enjoyed by all, esp. the Titan nation.

Happy New Year to you, and to all your family, Chuck.  Hope all goes well.

IWU70 

Mr. Ypsi

And a special shout-out to Mike Mayberger (especially after I recently butchered his name :P) - if livestats can be trusted, he had 12 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists in only NINE minutes - pretty efficient ball playing!

Titan Q

High praise from Bosko in the post-game show...

"In all of my years around the CCIW I've seen more talented teams that this Wesleyan group, but I have not seen a more efficient team, a better balanced team, or a more well-coached team."

Gregory Sager

Triple overtime final from the crackerbox:

Elmhurst 102
North Park 100

Zach Cassita: 34 pts (4-9 trey), 9 rebs, 4 asts (2 to)
Ryan Hyrn: 27 pts (6-10 trey)
Chris Benjamin: 12 pts, 6 rebs, 4 asts
Reggie McGee: 12 pts (3-5 trey)
Mark Holmes: 10 pts, 5 rebs
Cameron Burnett: 8 rebs, 12 asts (3 to)

Bryant Ackerman: 28 pts, 7 asts (0 to)
Nick Sanford: 26 pts, 13 rebs
D'Ante Foster: 23 pts, 8 rebs, 5 asts (1 to)
Kyle Wuest: 11 pts, 7 rebs

I'm not really sure what to say after one of the oddest but most interesting basketball games I've ever seen. I could say that neither team looked like they really wanted to win it, as NPU basically handed EC a chance to tie it at the end of regulation by making a boneheaded error, after which the Bluejays obliged, while Elmhurst totally blew primo opportunities to end the game at the end of each of the first two overtimes. But I won't say that, because both teams played hard and (after a poorly-played first half) actually executed surprisingly well down the stretch for the most part in a very exciting, back-and-forth contest.

NPU led throughout a very awkward first half but was never able to really establish possession of the contest, leading by as much as eight before the 'jays came back and took the lead going into the locker room, 34-31.  The second half was twenty minutes of trading baskets, with neither team able to establish a three-possession lead; each team had exactly three six-point leads.

NPU was up by three, 74-71, as Elmhurst had what looked like it would be the last possession of regulation. But Bryant Ackerman, who otherwise played a fantastic game for the 'jays, airballed a trey attempt with six seconds left that sailed out of bounds. All North Park had to do was inbound the ball safely and hit at least one free throw to end the game. But the Vikings made a huge mental error -- the inbounder passed the ball to one of his teammates who joined him out of bounds. You can do that after a made basket, just as the inbounder can run the endline after a made basket, but you can't do it after a normal out-of-bounds call, which is what this was. Turnover, NPU. Elmhurst ran a picture-perfect screen play to free Ackerman in the far corner -- if there's one thing EC can do right, it's run inbounds plays properly -- and Ackerman buried it to force an overtime that never should've happened.

EC then tried to give away the win not once, but twice. At the end of the first overtime, with the score tied at 78 and the ball in Elmhurst's hands following a missed Mark Holmes trey, EC called timeout with ten seconds remaining and, once again, Mark Scherer drew up an inbounds play that worked to perfection. Ackerman got a short jumper off with six seconds left, and, while the PBP and the box score don't reflect it, the 'jays had two tip-in attempts after the miss. The first one didn't connect, and the second (by Michael Jerkovich) was tipped straight out of bounds for some reason rather than up at the basket. NPU had two seconds left, but Chris Benjamin came up short on the halfcourt heave. At the end of the second overtime, Benjamin tied the game at 87-all with fourteen seconds left. Once again, EC called a timeout to set up a final inbounds play, this one with seven seconds remaining. This play, again executed perfectly, led to a pass to Taylor Baxter, who had made a back-door cut. He caught the ball right under the basket, with nobody close to him -- and he ganked the easy layup. After Cassita's missed three-quarters-court heave, on to the third overtime we go.

With the game tied at 96-all, Ackerman made a trey from the wing with 22 seconds left that turned out to be the game-winner. But the game was still a long ways away from being over. The Vikings played for the quick two, with Holmes making a layup that cut the lead to 99-98 with nine seconds left. Benjamin quickly fouled Nick Sanford on the inbounds pass, fouling out in the process. Sanford converted both FTs to re-establish the three-point lead for the 'jays at 101-98. Rather than allow NPU to heave up another trey attempt, Scherer had D'Ante Foster foul Cassita on the far sideline with six seconds to go, Foster ending his day in the process with five fouls. Cassita missed the first and made the second, making it 101-99. Cameron Burnett fouled Ackerman on the inbounds, and Ackerman missed and then made his FT attempts, restoring the three-point Elmhurst lead.

And here's where it got controversial.

Mau Cason, NPU's old nemesis whom Paul Brenegan blocked from reffing any more games at North Park following a controversial ending to an IWU @ NPU game several years ago, was once again the official on the spot in a highly-disputed call. Cassita took the inbounds pass about ten feet out from the sideline in front of the Elmhurst bench, and Ackerman ran over to immediately foul him. However, he hit Cassita while the Vikings senior was in mid-air, and Cassita alertly turned his body to the basket and took a shot before he came down. Cason, however, ruled that he was not in the act of shooting, thereby entitling Cassita to only two FTs instead of the three it would require to tie the game. It made no sense. If Cassita had been anywhere in the vicinity of the basket, Cason and every other ref in the world would've called it a shooting foul, because Zach clearly got the ball out of his hands in a shooting motion before he came down. But, presumably because Cassita was so far away from the basket, Mau Cason declined to see it that way. The vehement protests of the NPU coaching staff and Cassita himself notwithstanding, the other two officials (John Hodel and Ken Falkner) declined to overrule Mau, so Cassita was awarded two free throws in a game in which his team trailed by three with two seconds left. Methinks it'll be another good long while before we see Mau do another game in the crackerbox.

And, still, things continued to get strange. Cassita made the first FT, making it 102-100. He missed the second, deliberately leaving it short off of the front of the rim. Somehow, Sanford knocked it out of bounds, giving NPU the ball back for one final attempt to either tie or win the game. The Vikings were actually able to find Cassita in the far corner, but he undoubtedly had no legs left at that point, and his shot hit the rim and bounced harmlessly off to give Elmhurst the game.

It was an extremely entertaining affair, and a heartbreaker for the Vikings to lose. There's no way that they should've had to go to overtime; the brain-fart turnover on the out-of-bounds play at the end of regulation essentially gave EC life in a game that was all but over. But, given EC's missed opportunities at the end of the first two OTs, I'm sure that the 'jays would be kicking themselves if they had lost, too.

Zach Cassita at long last played the kind of game that Tom Slyder had been expecting from him all season long. He was tremendous, as was Ryan Hyrn. I thought that Hyrn was a really limited, low-ceiling player when I first saw him, but he keeps topping my expectations. Cameron Burnett continues to do the right thing time and time again. All everyone ever notices is his lack of size, but I tell you what: He's as savvy and technically sound a freshman point guard as this league has seen since Steve Djurickovic broke onto the scene back in 2007-08.

Ackerman, as I said, was fantastic tonight. He's one of the most impressive freshmen in the league. D'Ante Foster, whom NPU decided to let shoot to his heart's content in the wake of his awful shooting performance in the first matchup at Faganel, made the Vikings pay today. Sanford had a tough time finishing (part of that was Benjamin's defense), but still got his requisite double-double.

A tough, tough loss to swallow for NPU ... but the Vikings did give it everything that they had today. After 55 minutes of basketball, it's obvious that it could've gone either way. It went EC's way. C'est la vie.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Hardwood

Quote from: Boards45 on February 09, 2013, 12:12:31 PM
I am  new to the CCIW region.  Is it me, or are most IWU fans full of themselves.  I have been around basketball all of my life and I now find it easy to root against IWU.  Not only from interactions on the message board, but also games I have attended at IWU and when they visit on the road. ::)
Agreed

Titan Q

IWU 78
Carthage 59

http://www.iwusports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=1824&path=mbball

* Kevin Reed: 22 pts, 8 reb, 4 assists (10-10 FG)
* Pat Sodemann: 13 pts, 5 reb
* Mike Mayberger: 12 pts (4-7 3-point)
* Andrew Ziemnik: 10 pts, 11 reb, 2 assists
* Dylan Overstreet: 10 pts, 5 reb, 8 assists

Rebounds: IWU 42 Carthage 16

Everything that makes IWU a great team was on full display tonight...

* Balance
* Unselfishness/passing ability
* Defense
* Rebounding
* Coaching
* Talent

On the road in front of 1900 people, on a Senior Night, against a team that has knocked off both Wheaton and North Central, that's about as poised, confident, and efficient as you'll see a team play.  The Titans were just outstanding this evening.

Hardwood

Quote from: CCIWchamps on February 09, 2013, 10:47:58 AM
Barf.  Enough of the IWU rah-rah time.  I want them to lose.
Agree with this too