MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bufordscot

Might have something to do with most NAC schools having d3hoops.com links and most OAC schools not having links. 

Dr. Acula

I was reading the Rep when I was home over the holidays and I have to say in all honesty that when I saw MUC's record (8-1 at that point) I immediately jumped online because I thought "that has to be a misprint."  Has anyone seen them play?  From what I could piece together from stats, roster, etc. it looks like they play a lot of kids under 6'4".  Just curious if anyone had seen them this year.

kiltedbryan

Quote from: ScotsFan on December 29, 2008, 02:44:00 PM
And I think kiltedbryan (a Wooster supporter) gives more info on the C'bus area teams than any actual supporters of said C'bus teams. 

And even I can barely fulfill this "duty" anymore because I don't live in Ohio any more, so I haven't been able to see Capital or Otterbein this year (and probably won't have a chance).  It's really too bad, because there's a lot of quality basketball played in this league.  I wish we had more input all around.  Even the NCAC room seems quiet this year...

ScotsFan

Quote from: kiltedbryan on December 30, 2008, 12:15:40 PM
I wish we had more input all around.  Even the NCAC room seems quiet this year...
I guess that's what a 3-6 Wittenberg and a 6-4 Wooster will do for ya...  :-\

Quote from: Dr. Acula on December 30, 2008, 11:09:39 AM
I was reading the Rep when I was home over the holidays and I have to say in all honesty that when I saw MUC's record (8-1 at that point) I immediately jumped online because I thought "that has to be a misprint."  Has anyone seen them play?  From what I could piece together from stats, roster, etc. it looks like they play a lot of kids under 6'4".  Just curious if anyone had seen them this year.

Drac,

I'm going to be at the MUC/Wooster game tonight.  I really don't know how to gauge MUC at this point of the season.  I didn't catch any of their game last night, but they did show some grit in fighting back to win that game.  They were down 6 or 8 with just eight minutes remaining and fought back for the W. 

But, looking at their schedule, they haven't really posted any quality wins.  In most years, wins over B-W and Ott would be considered quality wins but both programs are decidedly  down this year. 

I think tonight's game with Wooster should really help define how just how good MUC really is.  Don't let Wooster's 6-4 record fool you into thinking they are down.  Two of their losses are single digit losses to #1 ranked UW-Platteville and at nationally ranked Carnegie Mellon as well as another loss which was respectable showing at Hawaii-Hilo which is an NCAA Div. II scholarship program.  If MUC were to win tonight at Wooster, I think they would finally have the quality win they've been missing and should start to garner some national attention...

Dr. Acula

I agree regarding MUC's schedule thus far.  Tonight will be a good barometer to see where they are.  And following Wooster up with JCU and Cap will definitely bring the picture into focus.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts after the game.

Dr. Acula

Wooster took care of MUC last night 80-61.  It looks like it was a 4 point game with around 5 min left, but the Scots did what good teams do and closed it out strong.  I am interested to hear what ScotsFan thought, but I guess I would be lying if I said I was surprised by the outcome.  Honestly I was a little surprised it was that close that late in the game, but my expectations are based on history rather than the current rosters. 

Everyone have a safe and enjoyable new year.       

ScotsFan

Quote from: Dr. Acula on December 31, 2008, 03:30:07 PM
Wooster took care of MUC last night 80-61.  It looks like it was a 4 point game with around 5 min left, but the Scots did what good teams do and closed it out strong.  I am interested to hear what ScotsFan thought, but I guess I would be lying if I said I was surprised by the outcome.  Honestly I was a little surprised it was that close that late in the game, but my expectations are based on history rather than the current rosters. 

Everyone have a safe and enjoyable new year.       
I think this was clearly one of MUC's best teams in recent memory.  They definitely have some good shooters and I think they could be a factor in the OAC race.  I really thought Pellerite was a nice player although he lost his cool at the end of the game and he seemed to be in denial after every call that went against him which was quite annoying.  MUC's other two starting guards had nice games as well and both have nice touches with their mid-range jumpers.  And I really didn't get to see what Switzer is truly capable up as Wooster's Ian Franks put the clamps down on him defensively which I felt was a big key to Wooster's win.

As far as last night's game goes, I along with wooscotsfan wrote up our thoughts on the game over on the NCAC page.  I really think the difference of the game came from the play of Wooster's perimeter defense and namely Franks holding Switzer to just 6 points and only one trey.  I had a feeling that Wooster's defense would cause MUC problems but I really didn't see Wooster holding MUC to just 16% from beyond the arc.

Wooster had their chances to blow the game open, but they just couldn't put MUC away.  They built a lead of 12 points in the first half and then proceeded to not score for over 5 minutes to let MUC cut the lead to 2 before settling on a 4 point halftime lead. 

In the 2nd half, Wooster just wore MUC down with their depth more than anything IMO.  It was nice to see Wooster finally finish a game strong down the stretch.  Earlier in the year, they blew an 11 point lead in the final five minutes to Albion before winning in OT.  And the other night, they were up 20 on Thiel and let them cut the lead down to 13 by missing 3 consecutive front ends of one & ones.  Last night, Wooster only had one miss from the line thanks in large part to Franks' 13-13 performance from the charity stripe.

Dr. Acula

ScotsFan, thanks for pointing me to the write ups.  You (and wooscotsfan) did I good job.  Much appreciated.

ONU continues to cruise as they drummed the Bein 82-61 over the weekend.  ONU has a big week hosting Wilm Wed and going to Cap on Sat.  OC is now 1-4 in the conference.  Not sure what's going on there, but my planned trip to Westerville this week to watch BW/Ott may be tabled given their combined 1 conference win to date.  Ouch.  Maybe I'll go to Bexley Sat instead.

MUC dropped one in OT at JCU.  I saw former Iggy QB Rudy Kirbus dropped in 23 for the Streaks. 

Wilmington beat Musky to stay in 2nd.  Musky must to tough because they're 2-3, but their 3 losses have been to Cap, Wilm and JCU by a total of 18 points.  Definitely no pushovers.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 05, 2009, 07:55:13 PM
OC is now 1-4 in the conference.  Not sure what's going on there, but my planned trip to Westerville this week to watch BW/Ott may be tabled given their combined 1 conference win to date.  Ouch.  Maybe I'll go to Bexley Sat instead.

Definitely go to Bexley!  Then you can give us a heads up on both Cap and ONU!  ;D  ;)

Dr. Acula

I'm planning on it.  I've never seen a game at the Capital Center, so I wanted to do that at some point anyway. 

kiltedbryan

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 06, 2009, 09:43:08 AM
I'm planning on it.  I've never seen a game at the Capital Center, so I wanted to do that at some point anyway. 

I can recommend the Capital Center to you.  It's a nice facility, though in my experience never quite as full as you'd hope it'd be, given the recent quality of the Crusaders.  You'll definitely be seeing the better game by watching ONU-CAP and skipping BW-OC, both of whom are probably exactly as good as their records indicate.  Traditionally strong programs, but not in the last few years.

ScotsFan

MUC has really fallen on hard times of late!  Last night they dropped their 3rd straight after winning 9 out of their first 10 games.  And that number will, in all liklihood run to at least 4 as the Purple Raiders have to travel to Wilmington on Saturday.  And all the Quakers have done is quietly postitioned themselves in a tie with Cap and ONU atop the OAC after knocking off the Polar Bears in Ada last night.

One question I have is how did Wilmington lose to Heide???  ???  The Quakers would be alone in first place if it wasn't for that loss...

kiltedbryan

Quote from: ScotsFan on January 08, 2009, 07:31:42 PM
MUC has really fallen on hard times of late!  Last night they dropped their 3rd straight after winning 9 out of their first 10 games.  And that number will, in all liklihood run to at least 4 as the Purple Raiders have to travel to Wilmington on Saturday.  And all the Quakers have done is quietly postitioned themselves in a tie with Cap and ONU atop the OAC after knocking off the Polar Bears in Ada last night.

One question I have is how did Wilmington lose to Heide???  ???  The Quakers would be alone in first place if it wasn't for that loss...

Hard times? Or just better opponents?  The best teams the played in that 9-1 start were probably Hiram, Muskingum (loss) and Kean.  Every team they've played since then has been better (Wooster, JCU and Capital).

I watched MUC play both games at the Mose Hole Tourney at Wooster and was unimpressed the first night (too disorganized, too many turnovers) and more impressed the second night.  But overall I came away feeling that they're middle of the road in the OAC, and their early schedule through the league bears this out, with wins against (this year's) weak B-W, Ott and H-Berg squads and losses to Musky, JCU and Cap, who are all probably middle to top in this league this year.

ScotsFan

Quote from: kiltedbryan on January 10, 2009, 12:50:45 AM
Hard times? Or just better opponents?  The best teams the played in that 9-1 start were probably Hiram, Muskingum (loss) and Kean.  Every team they've played since then has been better (Wooster, JCU and Capital).

I watched MUC play both games at the Mose Hole Tourney at Wooster and was unimpressed the first night (too disorganized, too many turnovers) and more impressed the second night.  But overall I came away feeling that they're middle of the road in the OAC, and their early schedule through the league bears this out, with wins against (this year's) weak B-W, Ott and H-Berg squads and losses to Musky, JCU and Cap, who are all probably middle to top in this league this year.
Yeah.  I agree with your assessment of MUC overall.  I guess I was just trying to be nice.   ;)

I touched on the weakness of MUC's schedule before they played Wooster noting that they really didn't have a win over a quality opponent over the span of their 9-1 start.  I wasn't sold on them being a challenger for the OAC before their game with Wooster and seeing their subsequent losses to Cap and JCU, it sort of confirms my thoughts that MUC wasn't really a serious challenger to win the OAC. 

Although, with some of the shooters they have, they are certainly more than capable of knocking off any of the upper tier teams from the OAC if they get hot.  Overall, though, I don't see them finishing any higher than 4th

oacplayer

Wilmington has first place in the oac because of their victory against capital at home and their 6-1 start. Wilmington has the deepest roster if u look at the minutes played by starters. I believe this really gives them a advantage in a tough long season. The problem with wilmington is that they suffer from sluggish starts and lack the killer instinct at time. Capital is dying for them to come back to columbus to make up for the beating the quakers gave them in Wilmington. Oac has great coaches who do a good job preparing for rematches and it is very tough to beat good teams twice with that said the standings will change alot.

I still think wilmington has the best team and their uptempo style of play has caused a lot of trouble thus far but we will see if they have what it takes to continue their edge