MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouttime

Quote from: Kramerica on February 27, 2006, 12:12:43 PM
Did you Know-

Carnegie Mellon beat D-1 Princeton this year.
A few days later they lost to the Beavers from Bluffton.

Yeah they took a page out of the ONU football playbook. Losing to an opponet you should beat after a big win. Unlike the ONU football team though, CMU is in the NCAA playoffs where anything can happen.

Toph

QuoteI am not sure of the reason for it but first glance it looks like OAC may beat up on each other too much.

Not every team has the luxury of having one other great team in their conference, followed up by some mediocre teams...bottomed out with some downright terrible teams.

I personally like having a bunch of evenly matched teams.  Is it really all that exciting knowing from day one who is likely going to be playing for the conference championship? 

smedindy

QuoteWhy does Wittenberg get to host games every year? I feel BW got robbed and should be hosting those first round, 4-team games. BW wins the OAC and the OAC tournament and has to travel. Wittenberg has three tough games a year, all against Wooster, doesnt win their league, and gets to host? Why should Wittenberg get to host? Bush league.

Witt has a higher QOWI and Hope has a higher QOWI and a better regional record.

Those non conference games against Oberlin and Allegheny hurt the cause as much as the late losses to ONU and Capital.

Kramerica

Is there anywhere to see the regional rankings? I know BW is #3 but I would like to see official rankings. In order for BW to host anything this tournament, they will have to beat Witt, if they beat CMU, and hope Hope loses?

David Collinge

Quote from: Kramerica on February 27, 2006, 04:13:13 PM
Is there anywhere to see the regional rankings? I know BW is #3 but I would like to see official rankings. In order for BW to host anything this tournament, they will have to beat Witt, if they beat CMU, and hope Hope loses?

Nope.  The final regional rankings are not released to the public. 

Obviously BW has to survive the weekend to host, but they'd need more than you suggest.  Not only Hope but also Transylvania would defnintely have to lose.  Probably Wooster too.  And then there's Mississippi College, who just might be the top seed in the sectional--would the NCAA fly three teams to Jackson for a tournament?  They flew three teams to Tacoma a couple of years ago, but that was because the only other potential host (Stevens Point) had a women's tournament going on. 

And that raises the biggest obstacle of all: the B-WC women.  They are the primary reason the YJ men are traveling this weekend, and if the distaff Jackets survive they very well may host their own sectional next weekend too.  So the chances of seeing the BW men playing in Berea are not good before the summer league starts.

bouttime

Quote from: Kramerica on February 27, 2006, 12:12:43 PM
Did you Know-

Carnegie Mellon beat D-1 Princeton this year.
A few days later they lost to the Beavers from Bluffton.

Did you know?

CMU is in the tournament.
Bluffton is sitting at home.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 27, 2006, 03:42:07 AM
Quote from: JCHoopsDad on February 26, 2006, 11:06:48 PM
Kramerica, to say the refs were giving the game to Wilmington shows your obvious bias.  Also the comment about the police report is way out of line.  All I said was the referee shouldn't decide a game in a situation like that.  I thought the refs called a good game.  I just thought OT would have been a better solution to that situation.  Good luck to BW.  Hopefully, they represent the OAC well.  Too bad such a good conference only gets one team in.  Why not expand the field to a full 64?  It's only 5 more games.

It would violate D3's policy of giving out one national tournament bid per sport to every 6.5 schools that participate in that sport. That policy is an across-the-board rule that applies to all team sports.

Greg, true.  But to add some good news - with all the provisional teams in the d3 pipeline, the tourney should be adding one more team every 2-3 years, and may well reach 64 teams within 10-15 years.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 27, 2006, 10:29:52 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 27, 2006, 03:42:07 AM
Quote from: JCHoopsDad on February 26, 2006, 11:06:48 PM
Kramerica, to say the refs were giving the game to Wilmington shows your obvious bias.  Also the comment about the police report is way out of line.  All I said was the referee shouldn't decide a game in a situation like that.  I thought the refs called a good game.  I just thought OT would have been a better solution to that situation.  Good luck to BW.  Hopefully, they represent the OAC well.  Too bad such a good conference only gets one team in.  Why not expand the field to a full 64?  It's only 5 more games.

It would violate D3's policy of giving out one national tournament bid per sport to every 6.5 schools that participate in that sport. That policy is an across-the-board rule that applies to all team sports.

Greg, true.  But to add some good news - with all the provisional teams in the d3 pipeline, the tourney should be adding one more team every 2-3 years, and may well reach 64 teams within 10-15 years.

Yup. And then we can read all the griping from the fans of the would-be 65th team. ::)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

And poor d1 - they now have to put up with the griping from the would-be 66th team!

Expansion is great - I can't imagine fans of any teams other than (perhaps) Albion, Elmhurst, or Ohio Northern who have ANY legitimate claim that they could have been final four if only they had been given the chance (and, of course, they had the chance in their conference tourneys)! 

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 28, 2006, 01:49:56 AM
And poor d1 - they now have to put up with the griping from the would-be 66th team!

Expansion is great - I can't imagine fans of any teams other than (perhaps) Albion, Elmhurst, or Ohio Northern who have ANY legitimate claim that they could have been final four if only they had been given the chance (and, of course, they had the chance in their conference tourneys)! 

One might add Trinity (CT) to that list as well, especially given the weakness of that section of the bracket and the fact that they're one of only two teams to have beaten Amherst this season.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

cmubobcat

Listen up B-W and OAC fans!  Tune in to "Sportsline" tonight at 10 PM on Carnegie Mellon's WRCT Radio for discussion of Friday night's CMU vs. Baldwin-Wallace matchup and a preview of this weekend's regional at Wittenberg.

Listen online at www.wrct.org.  Call 412-621-9728 to join in on the discussion.

onefan

I am looking forward to see how far B-W advances in the tournament...considering they lost two of their last five games to Ohio Northern and Capital, barely escaped elimination by Wilmington on a last second full court heave that drew a foul according to the men in stripes and then followed that performance up with an overtime win against Ohio Northern in the OAC finals. I fear they may be entering the tournament on an empty tank...I really would like to see them go deep into the tournament to hopefully exhibit to the "wizards'' of the NCAA selection committee that choosing one rep from the OAC this year was a mistake...Sour Grapes maybe, but it is difficult to see how you leave  a team ranked in the top twenty five at home...ONU of the OAC and Albion I believe are the only two teams in the top 25 that did not get a bid....Maybe next year...

hugenerd

I think BW will have their hands full with CMU as well.  It should be a good game.  CMU is bigger than BW at every position (by alot) so it will be interesting to see if BW can use their quickness to their advantage.  Both teams scored in the mid 80s during the season so the tempo of the game should be familiar to both schools, but it will be interesting to see how the game plays out.  (By outsized I mean CMU had the following starters in the final game of the season: 1-6'2", 2-6'4",3-6'7", 4-6'6", 5-6'4" and they have a 6'8" coming off the bench, when I looked at BW it appeared they didnt have anyone over 6'3" who played a whole lot.  CMU did have trouble with Blufftoon earlier in the season, though, who has similar size to BW.)

c-busballer

hugenerd,

BW has been playing against bigger teams all year.  Davis is not your typical DIII player.  He is a DI athlete who did not have the ballhandling skills to consistently play on the perimeter.  Teams have had to outscore BW to beat them.  Rarely have they been stopped.  However, I do think that they are getting tired, and a CMU win would not surprise me.  They have had a great year with some impressive wins.

Tonights Games

Wooster vs Randolph Macon:

I have seen Macon a few times over the years.  I have seen them this year.  Those teams Reminds were similar Wooster teams before this year.  Great Inside / Outside action between post players and guards with great ball movement.  Solid Defensively.  Very well coached and play extremely hard.  My belief with Wooster is that few teams are going to beat them if Wooster gives them a top performance.  They are going to struggle and lose when they have an off night shooting the ball.  The great aspect once you get into the tournament is that you may play a couple of teams that you have not played this year, for a couple of years, or ever and teams are not familiar with your teams style, pace of the game, or the players.  I think the first 3 teams they face may be shell shocked by their offensive fire power. 

Witt vs Lake Erie:

If Lake Erie can get by all the firsts in their program's history (wins, conference championship, tournament championship, NCAA birth), get by the fact that they are playing at Witt and all of their history, and the fact that they have never seen the quality of big men in Russ and Borchers, they can make a game of it.  Lake Erie will try to make it an ugly game, similar to JCU.  They will adjust their variation pressure defense.  They can force turnovers and teams to take bad shots.  I still take Witt.

BW vs Carnegie Mellon:

CMU has some great wins this year.  Do not know anything about them.  I am an Ohio guy so I will stick with the Yellow-Jackets.

Sectional Final Predictions:

Amherst vs WPI (Amherst)
WOO vs Witt (WOO)
Whitewater vs Augustana (Whitewater)
Lincoln vs William Patterson (Lincoln)

WOO over Amherst
Whitewater over Lincoln
WOO over Whitewater

c-busballer

Sorry about my last post.  My post about RMC looks like a 2nd grader.  What I was trying to say is that I have seen RMC in the past, not this year.  Their teams in the past reminded me of a traditional Wooster team before this season.