MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynex

Thanks for the link to the game KB - I didnt think that game was on either schools website as being broadcast. Cap was impressive, however I was still impressed with the way the berg came back. Another note from the game, Just when capital was going to blow it wide open it seemed like the OAC officials made just enough calls to tighten things up a bit and give the berg some easy FT's. Szalay and Wood were two guys trying to will their team to win last night and it was a great game to listen to. Dont be fooled though, Ryan wood has been putting up some big numbers throughout the season as well this shouldnt be unexpected. When teams double Nate Stahl it lets the other cap players step up. I will admit Capital has seemed to play their games at the level of their opponents this season which could come back and bite them on the road at a school later in the year when they shouldnt lose. The Berg must have had a packed house there last night even the radio background crowd was loud.

two quick notes - A 2 game in OAC is never safe (unless there is only one game left to play) and with regards to your post DC - MUSK shouldnt be overlooked down the stretch. They may be the most athletic team in the league, just havent been able to put it together early on.

David Collinge

Indeed, unless I am very much mistaken, Musky is now in 2nd place.  They certainly are athletic, but the offense seems to revolve around getting the ball into Brandon Todd's hands and letting him do whatever he wants with it.  It's often spectacular, highlight-reel stuff, but somewhat less often successful.  It seems to me that they'd be more successful with a more structured attack.  But what do I know; after all Felt, Todd, and Byrne (Musky's top three scorers) have been playing together all of their lives, the last 7 of which have been spent playing for Coach Ford pere or Coach Ford fils, so I suspect they know better than I what they can and cannot do.  I'd sure like to see Trevor Scott play a larger role in the offense, though.

Gehle was there, starting, and playing.  I don't know why he played limited minutes; he was not in foul trouble, and wasn't sick or hurt to my observation. 

ScotsFan

Quote from: David Collinge on January 17, 2008, 11:20:15 AM
I guess I just can't give Capital a break!  :D
You're one tough sell David!  :D

kiltedbryan

Quote from: Dynex on January 17, 2008, 12:34:58 PM
Thanks for the link to the game KB - I didnt think that game was on either schools website as being broadcast.

The first time I looked (about a week before the game) I didn't see any broadcast options on either website.  I looked again on game day and found it in the listings of Capital broadcasts.  I find both Capital and Heidelberg's websites to be annoying to navigate.

Quote from: Dynex on January 17, 2008, 12:34:58 PM
Dont be fooled though, Ryan wood has been putting up some big numbers throughout the season as well this shouldnt be unexpected.

I'm not fooled at all. Ryan Wood consistently impresses me with his play. It seems like he typically draws a harder defensive assignment than either Kyser or Stahl and he's right with them offensively (and has shot very, very well recently).

Quote from: David Collinge on January 17, 2008, 12:49:07 PM
Indeed, unless I am very much mistaken, Musky is now in 2nd place. 

It seems to be a second place tie with Heidelberg, both 5-2 in the league, both losing to the same teams. Heidelberg has losses at Wilmington and to Capital; Muskingum also lost at Wilmington and lost at Capital.  They play each other Saturday in Tiffin.

onefan

Haven't been here for a few days and in reading some comments posted regarding the OAC have some random thoughts.....Cap is not that much better than Muskingum, Heidelberg or ONU for that matter but they have gotten the right bounces thus far....I still don't think they are a top twenty team and won't be there at the end of February....Yes they are a good team, but their wins have been unimpressive and far from dominating...the Muskies are holding their own as I thought they would....ONU has three OAC losses by a grand total of five points....by two to Heidelberg at Tiffin at the buzzer, by one to the Muskies at Muskingum from the foul line with three ticks to go and by two to Capital at home that admittedly was not as close at the end as the score would indicate....My point? There are four to five teams that could still win the OAC and I will be very surprised if Cap doesn't drop at least two conference games before tournament time.

kiltedbryan

Today's slate of games:

2:00 PM   Otterbein      Capital  (Should be Capital in a landslide.            
3:00 PM   Marietta      Baldwin-Wallace  (Probably a B-W win)            
3:00 PM   Wilmington   John Carroll  (This would be a nice OAC win for John Carroll.)         
3:00 PM   Muskingum   Heidelberg     (Winner takes sole possession of second place.)         
3:00 PM   Ohio Northern   Mount Union  (An MU win would be a mild upset, but certainly possible.)

kiltedbryan

Capital scores the first 17 points of the game, and cruises to an 86-57 victory over visiting Otterbein.

Capital held an utterly overmatched Otterbein squad to only 12 percent shooting in for the entire first half--and only 12 points, too.

It was 44-12 at half time.

Now off to Springfield and Wooster-Wittenberg for me!

Pat Coleman

So what's going on with Otterbein this year? Man ...
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

kiltedbryan

All the Saturday finals:

Otterbein 57, Capital 86 (Thought it would be, and it was, Capital in a landslide.)            
Marietta 86, Baldwin-Wallace 82 (Probably a B-W win Marietta's first conference win moves B-W to 2-6 in the OAC...yikes.)            
Wilmington 61, John Carroll 74 (This would be a nice OAC win for John Carroll--and it is.)         
Muskingum 67, Heidelberg    83 (The Berg rebounds nicely.)         
Ohio Northern 66, Mount Union 69 (An MU win would be a mild upset, but certainly possible.  Well, I called that one.  Mount ends the game on an 18-6 run. ONU falls to 5-4 in the OAC.)

Basketball23

If you were ever curious about how good Tori Davis and Tyler Ousley really was just look at BW and OTT's record thus far with mostly the same personnel besides themselves. What a diiference one player makes
Good Players practice until they get it right, Great Players practice until they can't get it wrong.

David Collinge

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 19, 2008, 11:57:56 PM
So what's going on with Otterbein this year? Man ...

Otterbein is dramatically under-talented this season.  They play hard and smart, enabling them to keep close in most games and even pull off mild upsets like when they beat Hanover in the Ballenger Classic, but they haven't got the horses to keep up even in a mildly down OAC.

JK

Cap finishes the first half of the OAC schedule still undefeated in conference play with a decisive victory over Marietta on Wednesday night!

I don't think they will finish the year without an OAC loss, but it seems the race for the regular season crown is all but over.

Despite this and their #9 national rank, it seems Cap is a bit lacking in the respect department, based on some earlier comments.  Any converted belivers out there yet?

Dynex

I had a chance to catch most of the Capital Game last night. Capital looked like a good team and were up about 35 or so before they put the reserves in with more than 5 minutes to play. I think it ended up being 25 or something at the end i didnt stick around to watch the end of the game.

In the Capital games Ive caught this year they start hot and then hit cruise control the rest of the way which has let some teams catch up at the end. They might get caught sleeping one of these times.

The new Marietta coach has a nice group of younger players to build around if he can keep them in the program and take their licks for a year or two they might just be able to put something together in year 3.

I believe Capital is the strongest team in the league however it is the OAC and injuries can sneak up on a team and other teams can pull it together in february. Im not ready to give capital the regular season crown but they are a good team.

A 2 game lead is a nice lead at the turn but like i said before its only good if you have one game left. If BW could have pulled that off last night it would be a 3 game lead.

my projections would go:
Cap 16-2, Berg 14-4, JCU 13-5, ONU 12-6, MUSK 11-7,
and the rest Wilm, MTU, BW, OTT, MAR

Ive seen every team play at least once and feel pretty safe with that. Im not sure what the standings are but thats how i think it will shake out at years end.

Its going to be a fantastic last month of basketball thats for sure!

kiltedbryan

Yesterday's Finals:

Marietta 53, Capital 79   
John Carroll 73, Muskingum 66            
Baldwin-Wallace 96, Heidelberg 100

That's a(nother) good win for John Carroll, now winners of 4 straight and in sole possession of third place in the league at 6-3.

The Heidelberg/B-W game is closer than expected:  Berg seemed to have the game in hand with a 79-61 lead at about the 10 minute mark, but then the next 9 minutes saw B-W outscore Berg 30-13, leaving it a 1 point game (92-91) with 1:04 on the clock.

They traded baskets to reach 94-93, then B-W needed to foul and Berg's Jake Hessey drained them both to give Berg a 3 point advantage with 8 seconds left.  Interestingly, it appears that Berg then fouled B-W to send them to the line with 4 seconds. Brendan Schuler made the first, purposely missed the second, and a Berg rebound and two more foul shots gives the final score.

kiltedbryan

43-40 Capital at the half vs. Baldwin-Wallace.  Sounds like Cap lead most of the first half, but that B-W was able to keep it close and then trim the lead to only 3 at the break.

34-33 Heidelberg holds the slim advantage over Wilmington at the half in Tiffin.

ONU seems to be cruising: 45-24 at the break over Marietta.