BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Sluggerdad on May 04, 2015, 02:37:33 PM
Quote from: Westside on May 04, 2015, 01:51:58 PM
There is no way Cal Lu jumps anyone in the West Region for a Pool C bid. If anything, they drop even more after this weekend. Let's take a quick look at what went down this last weekend:
PLU went 2-1 this weekend with a win over a team that is ranked #3 in the region.

losing to a team that is not even .500.

How's that support a move up?  Count only the wins and discount the loss?
Heck, PLU lost to a team that was 0-1 against CLU.
and lost 2x in NWC conference to a team that was 0-2 against CLU.

PLU has lost 3 of last 6; 
Linfield has lost 4 of last 7.
CLU won 12 of last 15; losing only to LV... SCIAC champion in that stretch (and beating them 2x)

But, it obvious that PLU and Linfield have been highly considered all year.  I expect that will get them Pool C bids.

But, as opined last week.. sending them to Midwest makes as much financial sense as sending them to Tyler texas.
So... then apparently it comes to do How do #1 Pool C's in each region compare, then #2 in strongest vs #1's in others.. etc.. etc.. etc..

I think ASC will get one Pool C bid; at least one NWC will ship out to another region.
But, I've been wrong every week.

Westside

There is no way Cal Lu jumps anyone in the West Region for a Pool C bid. If anything, they drop even more after this weekend. Let's take a quick look at what went down this last weekend:
PLU went 2-1 this weekend with a win over a team that is ranked #3 in the region.

I am confused. What move up? My point is how could the #1 team in the West Region (PLU) lose one game to a bad team (record wise) and drop below the #5 team in the West Region (Cal Lu). Especially when the #5 team lost two games to a bad team (record wise) in the same weekend, and the #1 team beat the #3 team (Linfield).

Hope that makes more sense.

Note: I assume "losing to a team that is not even .500" means Puget Sound. They were actually 18-17 against D3 teams  :P
NWC Baseball

TexasBB

PLU lost to Pugent Sound this weekend who is 19-20 on the season. (I believe that consititutes a loosing record LOL.) PLU was the top ranked team in the Region last week. That loss will not help them and they will fall from the top. Things remain fluid until the ASC tournament is decided.

Whatagame

I do know one thing, if Linfield gets in, Haddeland could really use the week off next week, I'm sure.  He has thrown 275 innings over the last 15 months. (116 last season, 60 last summer in the West Coast League, 99 so far this year)  Can you say "Workhorse"!!

Whatagame

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on May 04, 2015, 02:59:49 PM

Heck, PLU lost to a team that was 0-1 against CLU.
and lost 2x in NWC conference to a team that was 0-2 against CLU.

PLU has lost 3 of last 6; 
Linfield has lost 4 of last 7.
CLU won 12 of last 15; losing only to LV... SCIAC champion in that stretch (and beating them 2x)

But, it obvious that PLU and Linfield have been highly considered all year.  I expect that will get them Pool C bids.

But, as opined last week.. sending them to Midwest makes as much financial sense as sending them to Tyler texas.
So... then apparently it comes to do How do #1 Pool C's in each region compare, then #2 in strongest vs #1's in others.. etc.. etc.. etc..

I think ASC will get one Pool C bid; at least one NWC will ship out to another region.
But, I've been wrong every week.

We can play around with this stuff all day....
Pacific went 3-9 in conference play this year versus Fox, Whitworth, Linfield and PLU (the 4 NWC conference participants), yet Pacific traveled to La Verne (The SCIAC champion) this season and took 3 out of 4 games....

SoCalSoxFan

I think SCIAC folks are well aware,
that despite NWC teams recent mediocre records against each other,
their previous SOS and records will result in one or more POOL C coming from NWC.

As West folks, we want as many NWC teams in the Pool C as possible.  But as West Folks, we also want as many Pool C from all conferences as possible. 
Since Pool C is a battle of regions (not conferences), the more viable West Pool C teams as possible, the better.

SO, given ASC, NWC, SCIAC champions didn't come from Regional top 6; it does benefit the region if the regular season winners are rated higher than the tourney winners.... it improves chances of West teams beating out other regions in Pool C ratings.

Purple Heys

I think, among the factors that keeps CLU at home, the 2-1 series loss which includes a home loss to Whittier weighs like oversize luggage preventing their travel plans.  They can't unhitch from that in the argument against.

I find that to be a bright spot in an otherwise throw-it-out season.  8-)
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

108 Stitches

CLU will be home as PLU is ranked much higher than them and will likely get an at large, then you have UTT and CTX both ranked higher and one of those will likely win their conference and the other will likely get the other bid. If one of those drop out you have Birmingham Southern that is very highly ranked and they can be bused in.

My guess is that the West will be (not in any particular order):

CTX
UTT
PLU
Trinity
LaVerne
Whitworth

In many ways seeding won't matter too much as teams will face some very good pitching regardless who they face. The real challenge comes after this.

UTT has a great facility and field.

Purple Heys

So...the 4th place SCIAC team put 1 of the 2 on each of the "2 and a BBQ" UT-T and NWC Tourney Champ Whitworth...

Go ULV, Go SCIAC...

Rooting for SCIAC and NWC teams otherwise, would like to see PacLu emerge from their regional.

Millsaps and Trinity must be stopped out west - one if them will get a loss today.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Purple Heys on May 15, 2015, 03:55:31 PM
So...the 4th place SCIAC team put 1 of the 2 on each of the "2 and a BBQ" UT-T and NWC Tourney Champ Whitworth...

Go ULV, Go SCIAC...

Rooting for SCIAC and NWC teams otherwise, would like to see PacLu emerge from their regional.

Millsaps and Trinity must be stopped out west - one if them will get a loss today.

Great job by LV to go 2-0;
I'm rooting for Trinity to be in finals with LV.

And, PLU is 2-0 and only undefeated team in South Region.

Ron Boerger

It would be nice for Trinity to break through to the championships for a change.    Yes, I'm biased.

Purple Heys

Congratulations to Whittier catcher Zavala on being drafted by the Cardinals!

infielddad

It will be interesting to see what this might mean for the future of the baseball program at Claremont Mudd Scripps:

Cornell Head Coach Walkenbach has resigned and  has been named HC at Claremont Mudd Scripps.

108 Stitches

I think it is a huge upgrade for CMS and it will be interesting to see if the program upgrades the facilities as well to compete with some of the SCIAC schools. Good hire IMO.

Purple Heys

Certainly an interesting career move...doesn't look like he was r-u-n-n-o-f-teed out of town at Cornell.  Looks like this is a family oriented move too.  Good for him.