WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutchfan

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 16, 2018, 09:32:25 PM
Quote from: AlwaysHope on April 16, 2018, 09:09:11 PM
With Hope's two freshmen starting guards returning from this year's team, this will strengthen the position even more:

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/3625489847704602881/advance-all-area-girls-basketball-team-west/

Gotta admire the self-confidence of a player who will come to a school with TWO FRESHMAN starters at her position!

Not to mention that you have Jenny Beckman also joining Hope at the Guard position next year.

sac

Julia Lalaine  5-10 F  Novi will attend Hope

Dutchfan

Here is an update list of MIAA women's recruits. Names in bold are new to the list since I last posted it.

NameTeamHeightHigh SchoolHome Town
Alexis SillmanAdiran5-7St. JohnsSt. Johns, MI
Bailey MruzikAdrian5-7CarlsonGibraltar, MI
Katy ShannonAdrian5-6Lansing CatholicLansing, MI
Skylar BaerAdrian5-10LakelandWhite Lake, MI
Taylor BesgroveAdrian5-5Cardinal StritchMillbury, OH
Clausia SbaschnikAlbion5-11Saint Andrews EpiscopalBradenton, FL
Malynn KosnikAlbion5-9Utica EisenhowerShelby Township, MI
Sylvia UpthegroveAlbion5-11LimaLima, OH
Tiffani BurgessAlbion5-8L'anse CreuseHarrison Township, MI
Aubrey BoosAlma5-8Kenowa HillsGrand Rapids, MI
Maddie CrumAlma5-8AthensTroy, MI
Stasha WarchockAlma5-11MarquetteMarquette, MI
Abbie CooleyCalvin5-7Castle ViewCastle Rock, CO
Alaina HeitmeyerCalvin5-7CantonCanton, MI
Mady Vander ZwaagCalvin5-10Holland ChristianHolland, MI
McKay VansickleCalvin5-7Castle ViewCastle Rock, CO
Mikayla KerstingCalvin5-9Harbor Lights ChristianHarbor Lights, MI
Sophia PierceCalvin5-5LeoFort Wayne, IN
Stephanie CoorsCalvin5-10Valor ChristianHighlands Ranch, CO
Arinn KingHope5-5HudsonvilleHudsonville, MI
Hannah SmithHope5-11MidlandMidland, MI
Jenny BeckmanHope5-8ShelbyShelby, MI
Julia LalainHope5-10NoviNovi, MI
Kate MajerusHope6-0SycamoreSycamore, IL
Kasey DeSmitHope5-7HudsonvilleHudsonville, MI
Taylor VinesHope6-0HollyHolly, MI
Hannah MilliganTrine6-0Lutheran NorthMacomb, MI
Julia PateTrine5-10CastleNewburgh, IN
Kayla WildmanTrine5-10RockfordRockford, MI
Kaylee ArgyleTrine5-4FreelandFreeland, MI
Kelsy TaylorTrine6-2New AlbanyNew Albany, IN
Kortney HelmTrine5-11DeltaMuncie, IN
Macee StryckerTrine5-7ArgosArgos. IN
Natalee KunseTrine5-9ClareClare, MI
Rachel StewartTrine5-8EasternNew Perkin, IN
Sophia KreagTrine5-8WestfieldCarmel, IN
Tara BienicwiczTrine6-0DakotaMacomb, MI

Roundball999

Hope is D3hoops preseason #3, behind Amherst and Bowdoin.  Pretty lofty but with Frankie Buchanan back and if the super frosh from last year make the big improvements you often see from Frosh to Soph years, this could indeed be a very tough team.

TUAngola

Quote from: Roundball999 on October 22, 2018, 12:53:19 PM
Hope is D3hoops preseason #3, behind Amherst and Bowdoin.  Pretty lofty but with Frankie Buchanan back and if the super frosh from last year make the big improvements you often see from Frosh to Soph years, this could indeed be a very tough team.

Trine checks in at preseason #9.  We return 3 starters plus injured PG Camille Lira who missed most of the 2nd half of the season with a knee injury.  Biggest loss obviously is replacing C Haley Martin, a 3 year starter.  We also lost F Kayla Freeman who replaced Lira in the starting lineup.  Freeman played very well down the stretch for the Thunder.  Brandi Dawson returns for her senior season as arguably one of the best players ever in WBB at Tri-State/Trine.  Starters Cassidy Williams and Katy Steers also return along with super sub Montana Martin.  Probably the biggest key and "unknown" is who is going to replace Martin at the 5 spot in the lineup.  I think it will be center position by "committee" this year.  Soph Shay Herbert could step in, but it may be one of the 3 freshman "bigs" who get the nod to start.  With the depth that Hope has on the frontcourt, it will take everyone contributing to keep us close when we play them.  I was so impressed with not only Buchanan, who is probably my vote for preseason POY along with Dawson, but with the 2 Freshman bigs Hope had last year.  As Roundball999 mentioned, the skys the limit for Hope with their frontcourt depth and also with super talented G Schoonveld, who single handidly carried Hope in that first half championship game with Trine.     

Roundball999

Would be fabulous for the MIAA if these two teams can maintain top 10 play through the year.  Don't know much about Calvin this year but as a Hope fan, I never count them out either.

gordonmann

Calvin loses its top two scorers from last year in Ali Spayde and Bre Luurtsema who accounted for almost 50 percent of their scoring. That said, I'd be surprised if they didn't remain a MIAA contender because it's a quality program.

TUAngola

Calvin did receive some votes in the D3 pre season poll.  I wouldn't be surprised if Albion gets some national recognition too.  Most of their best players last year were underclassmen.  I look for them to take another step this year.   

TUAngola

Congratulations to both Trine's Brandi Dawson and Hope's Francesca Buchanan for being selected to the D3hoops.com preseason All American Teams.  Brandi was selected as a 1st teamer and Frankie as a 2nd teamer. 

dykstraj@hope.edu

Any one know what became of Hope"s Celina King? 

gordonmann

I had the same question. We heard a lot from her family when she first joined and I was excited to see how she did there.

gordonmann

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: gordonmann on November 02, 2018, 12:52:25 PM
Speaking of surprise departures...

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/11/gould-gone-from-trine

And the story has been updated with the following statement given to D3hoops.com:

"On Oct. 16, 2018, Trine University suspended women's head basketball coach Ryan Gould pending an investigation into potential violations of Gould's contractual obligations and potential violations of university policies. As a result of that investigation, Mr. Gould's employment with the university has been terminated effective Oct. 31, 2018. Going forward, the women's basketball team will be led by interim head coach Andy Rang."
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

TUAngola

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 03, 2018, 12:10:04 AM
Quote from: gordonmann on November 02, 2018, 12:52:25 PM
Speaking of surprise departures...

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/11/gould-gone-from-trine

And the story has been updated with the following statement given to D3hoops.com:

"On Oct. 16, 2018, Trine University suspended women's head basketball coach Ryan Gould pending an investigation into potential violations of Gould's contractual obligations and potential violations of university policies. As a result of that investigation, Mr. Gould's employment with the university has been terminated effective Oct. 31, 2018. Going forward, the women's basketball team will be led by interim head coach Andy Rang."
No inside information here other than the statement the University released.  This is huge news, I first learned of the suspension the beginning of this week.  Andy Rang does have many years experience both as an assistant and head coach in high school however.  It will be interesting to see how the girls respond to adversity.  They had an exhibition game against D1 Butler Wednesday evening and it did not go well, losing 69-31.

ronk

Quote from: TUAngola on October 22, 2018, 07:10:42 PM
Quote from: Roundball999 on October 22, 2018, 12:53:19 PM

Trine checks in at preseason #9.  We return 3 starters plus injured PG Camille Lira who missed most of the 2nd half of the season with a knee injury. Biggest loss obviously is replacing C Haley Martin, a 3 year starter.  We also lost F Kayla Freeman who replaced Lira in the starting lineup.  Freeman played very well down the stretch for the Thunder.  Brandi Dawson returns for her senior season as arguably one of the best players ever in WBB at Tri-State/Trine.  Starters Cassidy Williams and Katy Steers also return along with super sub Montana Martin.  Probably the biggest key and "unknown" is who is going to replace Martin at the 5 spot in the lineup.  I think it will be center position by "committee" this year.  Soph Shay Herbert could step in, but it may be one of the 3 freshman "bigs" who get the nod to start.  With the depth that Hope has on the frontcourt, it will take everyone contributing to keep us close when we play them.  I was so impressed with not only Buchanan, who is probably my vote for preseason POY along with Dawson, but with the 2 Freshman bigs Hope had last year.  As Roundball999 mentioned, the skys the limit for Hope with their frontcourt depth and also with super talented G Schoonveld, who single handidly carried Hope in that first half championship game with Trine.     

I see that Camille Lira isn't on Trine's roster; is that because she hasn't yet recovered from that injury?