FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Next Man Up on July 22, 2021, 01:42:28 PM
Quote from: USee on July 19, 2021, 12:19:31 PM
Pretty cool. Basically the two best teams from each conference that don't make the field will play each other. Guarantees that at least 2 (possibly 3) CCIW and WIAC teams will have an extra game.

I love it.

My wife is one of six kids (3/3) who grew up in SW Wis. I have a brother-in-law who attended Whitewater, and of my 14 nieces/nephews, 2 attended Stout, 2 attended Eau Claire, and 2 Stevens Point. The BIL, and 3 of my nephews have already contacted me about the game so it seems that it is already generating a fair degree of interest.

* One event that conflicts with the game date, and might put somewhat of a damper on attendance is an annual rite of passage, and what could be declared a State Holiday in Wisconsin, namely opening day of gun deer hunting season in Cheeseland.

Just make sure that you have a blaze-orange reflector vest handy, in case you have to stop and change a tire on your way to or from the game.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Next Man Up

Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 22, 2021, 03:56:59 PM
Pretty cool. Basically the two best teams from each conference that don't make the field will play each other. Guarantees that at least 2 (possibly 3) CCIW and WIAC teams will have an extra game.

I love it.

My wife is one of six kids (3/3) who grew up in SW Wis. I have a brother-in-law who attended Whitewater, and of my 14 nieces/nephews, 2 attended Stout, 2 attended Eau Claire, and 2 Stevens Point. The BIL, and 3 of my nephews have already contacted me about the game so it seems that it is already generating a fair degree of interest.

* One event that conflicts with the game date, and might put somewhat of a damper on attendance is an annual rite of passage, and what could be declared a State Holiday in Wisconsin, namely opening day of gun deer hunting season in Cheeseland.

Just make sure that you have a blaze-orange reflector vest handy, in case you have to stop and change a tire on your way to or from the game.

Yes, from the Saturday before Thanksgiving until the following Sunday, lead comprises a significant percentage of the ambient air within the confines of Cheeseland.
Fortunately, however, I won't have to worry as the Cardinals will be competing in the National Tournament that day rather than in Mad City.  ;)
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

CardinalAlum

Quote from: Next Man Up on July 22, 2021, 04:54:31 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 22, 2021, 03:56:59 PM

I love it.

Yes, from the Saturday before Thanksgiving until the following Sunday, lead comprises a significant percentage of the ambient air within the confines of Cheeseland.
Fortunately, however, I won't have to worry as the Cardinals will be competing in the National Tournament that day rather than in Mad City.  ;)

I will feel better about this prediction knowing what the QB position looks like in week 1!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Next Man Up

Me too, but just being optimistic.
Not only interested in who emerges as the Cardinals starting QB, but what players return for their fifth (Covid) year of eligibility. Looking forward also to learning the same about the other top conference teams. I believe we've been advised Wheaton has some top talent that will be taking advantage of the Covid rule, and I suspect such will be the same with other CCIW teams as well. Very tough competition ahead between our top teams as usual. 🏈
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

robertgoulet

Quote from: CardinalAlum on July 26, 2021, 09:10:43 AM
I will feel better about this prediction knowing what the QB position looks like in week 1!
Amen!
You win! You always do!

USee

Teams will start to report in the next week or two. I am very interested to see rosters as they are posted to see who returns after basically a 2 year break. IWU and NPU rosters are posted for 2021. No other teams yet. IWU has 93 on the roster, NPU has 53.

Gotberg

Quote from: USee on August 02, 2021, 03:27:02 PM
Teams will start to report in the next week or two. I am very interested to see rosters as they are posted to see who returns after basically a 2 year break. IWU and NPU rosters are posted for 2021. No other teams yet. IWU has 93 on the roster, NPU has 53.

I think npu roster is only returning players ATM. 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

USee

Yes that's right. I should have mentioned that. Neither roster currently posted has incoming Frosh included yet.

lmitzel

Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

USee

The poll reflects the standings at the end of 2019 for the most part. Not unusual. What's unusual is the fact that we haven't played a full season since then and every team has 2 classes of players we have never seen and an unknown number of returning 4th/5th and 6th year players. Until we see the fall 2021 rosters of each team understanding which team should be expected to win which games going to be exceedingly difficult.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: USee on August 05, 2021, 06:06:47 PM
The poll reflects the standings at the end of 2019 for the most part. Not unusual. What's unusual is the fact that we haven't played a full season since then and every team has 2 classes of players we have never seen and an unknown number of returning 4th/5th and 6th year players. Until we see the fall 2021 rosters of each team understanding which team should be expected to win which games going to be exceedingly difficult.

I'm not sure how much seeing the rosters will even help, since many of the players have never been seen, and most of the rest have not played (or barely played) for nearly two years. ;)

That said, it still seems a bit odd that the defending national champs are only ranked second!  And, while obviously I don't disapprove, how did IWU manage to slip past WashU for 3rd?  (Of course, the coaches rarely beat out blind-folded dart throws for accuracy of picks! ;D)

Next Man Up

Ypsi,

I have no answer for you re how IWU managed to slip by Wash U for 3rd. Perhaps someone fooled with the darts.  😏
As far as the defending National Champs being ranked 2nd, it no doubt stems from the fact that the Cardinals starting QB is currently the 64,000 dollar question. 🤷🏻‍♂️

WUPHF

IWU played four games in the Spring and finished the abbreviated season 3-1.

Washington University has not played a game since November 2019.

Even with the 21-0 road win in Bloomington in 2019, the teams were evenly matched.

USee

The rosters aren't going to tell you anything about the two classes that have never suited up. But they will tell you which seniors (4th, 5th, 6th year) returned and the teams with more experience will have a significant advantage this season, especially early. I know Wheaton has a lot of guys who sat out the school year to come back this fall and a few who decided not to return. Those decisions will impact their team's fortunes. But a team like Millikin or Elmhurst will have a much great variance based on returning experience I would think. Not playing for 2 years is not a big factor because that's the same for everyone in my opinion.

As far as NCC and Wheaton, they are essentially tied in the poll which makes sense since Wheaton was 9-0 in conference last season and the coaches are picking the order of conference finish, not the national rankings. It also makes sense that Wheaton might have a slight nod since they play in @Wheaton in week 2 (Sept 18) and the Thunder have a returning QB where NCC is replacing their GOAT.

CardinalAlum

Wheaton's front 7 will be a LOAD to deal with in the conference.  Having the QB back is a huge advantage as well.  From NCC's perspective, I would have preferred the Wheaton game later in the season so the QB situation would be more settled but it is what it is.  Should be another great season in the CCIW!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022