MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcnews

Look for divisional play and an expansion of post season tourney as early as 2007-2008. Tournament may expand as early as next year.

Mac Attack

I can't imagine the MacMurray administration or athletic program not wanting to play Illinois College. I heard that IC was getting harder and harder for Mac to schedule. The word on the street was IC didn't want to play Mac - felt like they had too much to lose and nothing to gain, although after seing them play this past season, my sense is Mac would have given them all they wanted - which is probably why they're not on Mac's 2006-2007 schedule, at least not yet anyway. Maybe the two schools are still trying to hammer out a date - the game would be at Mac if it's played. What a deal....

Divisional play would be sweet. Guess that would put Maryville, Webster, Westminster, Fontbonne, and Principia in one division, and Blackburn, Eurekam Lincoln Christian, Greenville, and Mac in the other one. Eureka only won four games last year, but they beat Webster, Greenville, Principia, and Westminster for their four wins, Hmmmmmm.... They also lost at Blackburn, at Westminster, and at Webster. They finished the season a not-so-pleasent 14 game losing streak...

Wonder if divisional play will mean playing teams in your own division twice and the other division once?

yjacklok

Regarding possible divisional play, my guess is it won't happen. I don't know what conferences currenlty have divisional play. Can anyone name them? It seems to me that it would require a 12 team conference for that to become imperative. In the ODAC there are 10 men's team and 11 women's teams. They do not have divisional play. They play each other twice a season. That means 18 conference games and 7 non-conference games for the men; 20 conference games and only 5 non-conference games for the women.

Ralph Turner

The Commonwealth Coast and the American Southwest currently do.  The NJAC did in 2004-05.

The North Atlantic Coast Women also have divisions.

yjacklok

The Commonwealth Coast Conference and the North Atlantic Conference have 13 member schools each. The American Southwest Conference has 16 member schools. This further confirms for me that 12 schools in a conference is the reasonable minimum for splitting into two divsions.

Pat Coleman

The NJAC had 10. The Centennial had 10 and was split in divisions. And although we don't list the standings this way, the CUNYAC has 10 teams and splits in divisions.

There isn't a more geographically compact conference than the CUNYAC.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

yjacklok

Interesting.

Do you think, Pat, that the divisional format in a 10 team conference is effective?

I suppose the farther apart geographically the schools are the more sense it makes to create divisions, with the schools being closest to one another in the same division.

For example, now that the SLIAC will have 10 member schools, the divisions might be Eureka, Lincoln Christian, Mac Murray, Blackburn and Greenville; then Webster, Fontbonne, Maryville, Principia, and Westminster. However, I am not advocating this. I think 10 teams, playing each other twice for a total of 18 conference games and 7 non-conference games is a pretty good system

Ralph Turner

Can you justify the five team division for the sake of classtime and scheduling?

Will it make a difference in the travel budget?  Is there a tight history among the teams in the division that is somewhat diluted by the other teams in the conference?   Are all of the teams in each division roughly competitive?

With whom (D3?) will you fill that void in the schedule?  Are you competitive with them?  Dropping an SLIAC opponent for an IWU doesn't make much sense, IMHO.

After consideiring these questions, then I think that divisions might make sense.

Mac Attack

Has it been confirmed by MacMurray that Coach DeNeve has resigned? If so, who would be some of the leading candidates for the position? What kind of coach do you think MacMurray could or would attract? It's a small school, but an excellent opportunity. The new AD seems top-notch. I would assume he would want someone who would build a winner, with solid student-athletes....

hopefan

The St. Louis summer league has started - From what I can tell, games are 6:30, 7:30, and 8:30 every Thursday night.  At Maryville the next 3 Thursdays May 25, June1, June 8...... At Meramec on June 15....at Webster June 22, June 29, July 6, and July 13.  It's a great chance to see some of the new faces in the SLIAC.  Sorry, can't tell for a fact who has teams (except that Maryville has 2), but I assume Fontbonne, Webster, Merramec are also represented; maybe Wash U....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

fcnews

I believe yje league consists of Merremac, Maryville, Webster, Fontbonne, McKendree, Lindenwood and I think there is a team of Westminister players from this area. They will be playing tonite. I hate watching these games because of the fact that alot of kids can't travel in for these games and that the kids have to coach themselves.

Other News = I would like to welcome Ryan Good to the Fontbonne Family. Ryan played and coached at Webster. He is joining the staff as Head Baseball Coach and Asst. Basketball. Welcome Ryan.

Golions

Lindenwood is not in the league this summer...Too many players from out of the area!

Im happy Ryan got an oppertunity but I hate to see him go to the dark side of Big Bend!!

fcnews

Golions welcome a board. It's only the darkside two days a year in basketball. Ryan was recruited by Coach McKinney out of H.S. and continued a friendship while he was at Webster. This move does not surprise me.

Last nite WU beat FU by 4. Coach Bunch said that he had his full squad. FU's biggest man was Fogerty. Kirkpatrick, Storand and White could not make the drive. Webster also had a kid who plays at UMR playing with them. 6'6 and very athletic quite a nice player.

hopefan

BIG news!!!!

I have a confirmation from inside the MacMurray Athletic Department that Coach Deneve will not be back coaching next year.  I did this simply by calling and asking.  I tried the same thing with Blackburn and yes, Coach Kaneshiro is also leaving.

Good luck to both these guys in their future endeavors.  SLIAC hoops has really been fun to watch the last several years and I have grown to appreciate the job that all the SLIAC coaches have done.  Again, best of luck to the departing coaches and thanks for developing a couple of Very competitive teams.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

yjacklok

hopefan -- did you find out where Deneve and Kaneshiro are going?