University Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADL70

CWRU commit Cody Calhoun, an All-Ohio DB/ATH from Columbus Watterson, has been selected to play in the Ohio North-South All-Star game.  First time I can recall a CWRU recruit playing in the game, although starting last year the rosters were in essence doubled with the addition of a second game for the smaller school players.  The JJHuddle site had him rated one of the top 200 prospects in Ohio for the class of 2014.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1045655/highlights/77935378
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

DagarmanSpartan

Case's new athletic director is Amy Backus, a former women's basketball head coach at Northwestern U. and Yale, and now a Senior Associate Athletic Director at Yale.

http://cwru-daily.com/news/cwru-names-yales-amy-backus-athletic-director/

On top of that, she's also an accomplished women's basketball player and an Olympic caliber sailing competitor.

See below:

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/backus_amy00.html

ExTartanPlayer

Glad to see you are well, Dagarman. You had been abroad, no? Are you still overseas?
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

DagarmanSpartan

Yes, I'm in Afghanistan until August.

DagarmanSpartan

Gang,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but how would you feel about the UAA sponsoring Division III lacrosse?

First of all, how many UAA schools currently have lacrosse teams?  Are there enough for legitimate conference competition?

I'm tempted to send an e-mail to our new AD and ask her about the possibiltity of Case adding men's and women's lacrosse as varsity sports.  We wouldn't need any additional infrastructure, and players buy much of their own equipment.  We could also start up some good local non-conference rivalries with teams like Oberlin.

Just a thought!

What do you say?

ExTartanPlayer

Hm. Lacrosse is certainly gaining popularity as a high school sport in PA (particularly in schools near the bigger cities, Philly and Pittsburgh).

CMU has had club lacrosse teams since I was in school; I'm not sure how serious they are now. When I was in school the guys' team was pretty serious and could play some competitive games against decent teams, the girls were much less serious (like, they only practiced once a week and even those basically were just goofing-around sessions). You're correct that lacrosse would not require additional facilities but don't underestimate the expenses of uniforms, travel, paying a coach, plus the need to find field time for the extra teams (not as easy as you think if men's and women's lacrosse share 1-2 turf fields with football, 2 soccer teams, and possibly track).

Not saying it couldn't be done, but it's not a trivial thing and would probably cost more than you think.

I'd like to see it. Lacrosse is a cool sport.

ADL70

I couldn't find any UAA schools that have varsity lacrosse.  I thought Rochester might in the Liberty League, but even they don't.

If CMU were to add a sport, I'd rather it was baseball.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

jknezek

Baseball requires an expensive new facility. Lacrosse is already built. Makes lax very attractive

ExTartanPlayer

Yeah, I don't think it's really practical for CMU to add baseball because of the field/facilities reason.  There's no realistic place on or near campus for a baseball field; they just turfed the practice field next to Gesling Stadium for use as a soccer field and intramurals, but you can't really turn that into a baseball field (no mound, no infield), which kind of makes jknezek's point; CMU already has 2 turf fields that are viable for use by lacrosse teams, versus zero usable facilities for a baseball team.  No place on campus to build any sort of indoor practice facility either.

jknezek

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on April 21, 2014, 09:37:32 AM
Yeah, I don't think it's really practical for CMU to add baseball because of the field/facilities reason.  There's no realistic place on or near campus for a baseball field; they just turfed the practice field next to Gesling Stadium for use as a soccer field and intramurals, but you can't really turn that into a baseball field (no mound, no infield), which kind of makes jknezek's point; CMU already has 2 turf fields that are viable for use by lacrosse teams, versus zero usable facilities for a baseball team.  No place on campus to build any sort of indoor practice facility either.

I remember well from visiting when my sister went to CMU. Long time ago now, but her first couple years the center of campus where the football stadium is was just a working crater. Her last two years it was a great place to see a game, with an awesome new student center, but it was a very cramped urban campus. I don't think baseball is really a possibility. Baseball and softball fields are so limited in their purpose they are just a huge financial liability. One of the big reasons the Olympics dropped those sports.

ADL70

Quote from: jknezek on April 21, 2014, 09:50:29 AM

I remember well from visiting when my sister went to CMU. Long time ago now, but her first couple years the center of campus where the football stadium is was just a working crater. Her last two years it was a great place to see a game, with an awesome new student center, but it was a very cramped urban campus. I don't think baseball is really a possibility. Baseball and softball fields are so limited in their purpose they are just a huge financial liability. One of the big reasons the Olympics dropped those sports.

Hasn't stopped the club team:  http://www.cmubaseball.com/

I had thought there might be a diamond in Schenley Park, but doesn't look like there is.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

jknezek

The only mention I could find of where they play is Esmark Field. I looked that up and it appears to be almost 20 miles off campus. I could easily have pulled the wrong field, or that isn't where they play most home games, but it was all I could find. I played club rugby in college and remember finding ways to drive the players to games a couple hours away every other week. It was a royal pain and expensive in gas at the time. Luckily we played on campus for home games. I can't imagine how hard it must be to organize this team if they have to play 20 miles off campus. Kudos to them for doing a good job.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: ADL70 on April 21, 2014, 12:44:26 PM
Quote from: jknezek on April 21, 2014, 09:50:29 AM

Hasn't stopped the club team:  http://www.cmubaseball.com/

I had thought there might be a diamond in Schenley Park, but doesn't look like there is.

Oh, I know that we have a club team, although I will admit that I didn't realize that they've gotten as good as they apparently now are, if the website is accurate (no reason to doubt it). 

There's no diamond in Schenley Park, sadly.  There is a small baseball diamond over by the Cathedral of Learning, but I'm fairly certain that it's a Little-League size diamond and would be too small for varsity collegiate games (the leftfield wall would be a VERY easy target for even high school athletes).  The only way CMU would realistically have a facility capable of supporting a varsity baseball team would be somehow bartering access to Pitt's practice facilities, and possibly even playing games there as well.  This is not entirely impossible, but I think it's a far-fetched proposition.

Although now that you've mentioned it, I am curious where the club team plays their "home" games.

ADL70

Click on the game time for future games listed on their website for a link to directions.

Duquesne and Robert Morris also have baseball facilities which might be utilized.

I heard CMU's SID was at the UAA tournament.  With NYU getting baseball next year thanks to merger with NY Tech, CMU is the only UAA school without baseball.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

DagarmanSpartan

CWRU already has rowing, lacrosse, and ice hockey clubs.

Making rowing a varsity sport would appear to be very easy.  The boats are there, the participants are there, the level of competition is already national and quite high, and they can practice on Lake Erie in warm months.

Lacrosse could be added without many complications.

Ice Hockey would be a little tougher; they would need to play in an off-campus facility.

Field hockey might be workable.

They should never have demoted fencing to a club sport.  Back when I was at Case, it was a varsity sport, and the fencing team regularly took on Division I schools.