Pool C 2018

Started by bluestreak66, October 14, 2018, 02:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaintsFAN

Quote from: hazzben on October 31, 2018, 11:00:27 PM
Quote from: SaintsFAN on October 31, 2018, 04:36:06 PM
Quote from: hazzben on October 31, 2018, 02:25:08 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 31, 2018, 12:56:48 PM
hazzben -- a lot of those answers are in our podcast with the committee chair from last week:
http://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2018/10/25/around-the-nation-podcast-216-committee-chair-explains-it-all/

Thanks Pat, queued up for my flight to Boston tomorrow  :)

Boston, eh?  You in beantown much or is this a one-off?

First trip. Little late fall getaway for a long weekend. Any must sees or eats?

Just saw this:  Apologies.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

MRMIKESMITH

I think I was discussing the with Pat and Crew within the ERFP regarding access of Pool A by implementing a floor regarding win % and SOS, what was the average SOS of all Playoff teams over the past 3 to 5 years? Any guru have that information?

jknezek

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 05, 2018, 10:58:23 AM
I think I was discussing the with Pat and Crew within the ERFP regarding access of Pool A by implementing a floor regarding win % and SOS, what was the average SOS of all Playoff teams over the past 3 to 5 years? Any guru have that information?

You don't really want to floor SOS. Any 10 team conference just can't much escape .500. And if you set the SOS under .500, it's pretty irrelevant. It doesn't tell you anything. Winning percentage I would have less of a problem with, but I still don't see the point. Let it be a tournament of champions. It's not the 32 best teams. It's never going to be the 32 best teams. Don't worry about it. Win your conference, go to the tournament. Fail to win your conference? Better luck next year. Unless we get under 2 Pool Cs, I just don't see the problem.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: jknezek on November 05, 2018, 11:01:13 AM

You don't really want to floor SOS. Any 10 team conference just can't much escape .500. And if you set the SOS under .500, it's pretty irrelevant. It doesn't tell you anything. Winning percentage I would have less of a problem with, but I still don't see the point. Let it be a tournament of champions. It's not the 32 best teams. It's never going to be the 32 best teams. Don't worry about it. Win your conference, go to the tournament. Fail to win your conference? Better luck next year. Unless we went under 2 Pool Cs, I just don't see the problem.

I agree, however just looking for better solutions, just for conversation purposes only. I know we tend to say 10 league conferences tend to swing around .500, that's fine. The current Top 10 SOS is .525. I know many teams especially in the South and West have harder times scheduling OOC games, however would requiring each DIII team to play 2 OOC help as well? Again, just for conversation purposes?

jknezek

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 05, 2018, 11:16:05 AM
Quote from: jknezek on November 05, 2018, 11:01:13 AM

You don't really want to floor SOS. Any 10 team conference just can't much escape .500. And if you set the SOS under .500, it's pretty irrelevant. It doesn't tell you anything. Winning percentage I would have less of a problem with, but I still don't see the point. Let it be a tournament of champions. It's not the 32 best teams. It's never going to be the 32 best teams. Don't worry about it. Win your conference, go to the tournament. Fail to win your conference? Better luck next year. Unless we went under 2 Pool Cs, I just don't see the problem.

I agree, however just looking for better solutions, just for conversation purposes only. I know we tend to say 10 league conferences tend to swing around .500, that's fine. The current Top 10 SOS is .525. I know many teams especially in the South and West have harder times scheduling OOC games, however would requiring each DIII team to play 2 OOC help as well? Again, just for conversation purposes?

So we either don't have round robins, or we start breaking up larger conferences to get the extra game? That would use up more A's and give you fewer C's. I don't think that is the solution you are looking for.

HSUCowboy2015

A crazy scenario that I just thought of. If Berry loses to Trinity what implications would that have at pool C? Trinity has played both HSU and Centre close. Berry has to travel close to 900 miles or 15 hours to get to Trinity and already has an AQ. Could be the perfect storm. Obviously Berry would drop, but wouldn't that mean that Centre has to drop too? Anyone have thoughts on this?
Stay Purple

wally_wabash

Quote from: HSUAlum255 on November 05, 2018, 12:09:44 PM
A crazy scenario that I just thought of. If Berry loses to Trinity what implications would that have at pool C? Trinity has played both HSU and Centre close. Berry has to travel close to 900 miles or 15 hours to get to Trinity and already has an AQ. Could be the perfect storm. Obviously Berry would drop, but wouldn't that mean that Centre has to drop too? Anyone have thoughts on this?

I think it would have to.  I don't see enough padding in Centre's profile to rank them ahead of Berry in spite of the h2h result.  How much impact would it have?  Maybe not much, but probably enough to put HSU ahead of the Berry/Centre cluster. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Ron Boerger

I seriously doubt this is a bus trip for Berry. 

MonroviaCat

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 05, 2018, 01:29:04 PM

Ya never know....a few years back, LaVerne bused to Linfield.....got destroyed and then had to get back on the bus that night and head home....ouch!
Go Cats!

smedindy

The CWU football team bused it from Ellensburg to Humboldt State. And the volleyball and softball teams have to bus it over to Billings. I think they stay overnight though.

At least CWU doesn't bus it to Alaska!

I was in the Spokane airport once and the Idaho women's volleyball team was there checking in to their flight on a Wednesday. Caught the bus in Moscow, ID at 2:30 AM. They had a road trip to Louisiana Tech and New Mexico State (they were in the WAC at the time). They stopped over in Denver and flew into Shreveport, I believe, then bused it to Ruston. Played Thursday night. Caught a flight early Friday morning in Shreveport through Dallas to El Paso, then bused it to Las Cruces to play Saturday. Woke up Sunday morning early, back to El Paso, then through Denver to Spokane and got home late Sunday night.

The glorious life of a Non D1 Power conference athlete - early wakeup calls and bus rides.

HSUCowboy2015

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 05, 2018, 01:29:04 PM

Not that far fetched, Louisiana College traveled all the way to Alpine to face Sul Ross State that was 800 miles and Belhaven will make the 900 mile trek to Alpine this weekend.
Stay Purple

MonroviaCat

Go Cats!

bluestreak66

Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 08, 2018, 09:46:17 AM
Quote from: MANDGSU on November 07, 2018, 02:03:16 PM
http://d3football.com/playoffs/2018/second-regional-ranking

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/d3/regional-rankings
Any changes on thoughts about who gets in with the new rankings?

Based on how the teams sit now, I think the order would be Bethel, John Carroll, Centre, Hardin Simmons, and then 1 of Mulhenburg, Wabash, or possibly Ithaca
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

MonroviaCat

Quote from: bluestreak66 on November 08, 2018, 02:47:39 PM
Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 08, 2018, 09:46:17 AM
Quote from: MANDGSU on November 07, 2018, 02:03:16 PM
http://d3football.com/playoffs/2018/second-regional-ranking

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/d3/regional-rankings
Any changes on thoughts about who gets in with the new rankings?

Based on how the teams sit now, I think the order would be Bethel, John Carroll, Centre, Hardin Simmons, and then 1 of Mulhenburg, Wabash, or possibly Ithaca
Ithaca seems like a longshot--with 2 losses and no wins against RRO (if they beat Cortland this week then Cortland probably isn't ranked in the final rankings)....
Go Cats!