MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artestes

Scandihoovian

Artestes-

I'm glad you looked!

We're looking forward to having the hens in for a visit.  They'll be so distracted with the good lighting and lack of dead spots that they won't realize they're down by twenty http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

bballfan2

Hmmm, Cal Lu by 20 over the Hens...you must be thinking of the Pomona-Pitzer women's team AKA The Girls School For Blind, cause we both know With the Men's team that won't happen.

scandihoovian

The Hens have had some rough times up in Thousand Oaks (I think they've won once in the last 6 years).  I'm sure that there isn't a team in the SCIAC that will miss the old CLU gym after this season.

bballfan2

Cal Lu will miss it. They may have an easier time recruiting, but everyone loves to play in a new gym. Once the old one goes so does their home court advantage.

bballfan2

Pomona-Pitzer's 2nd leading scorer G Chaz Turner TRANSFERS TO CMS

Here's something more interesting then hearing about Cal Lu's gym for the rest of the board. Comments....

scandihoovian

What year is Turner?

Will anyone at PP deign to talk to him anymore?

Will he be even more confused when he plays in the new CLU gym for the first time?  ;D

Seriously, seems like it might help CMS more than it hurts PP, Kats system seems like it adjusts well to the loss of a big talent - for example, even when Lloyd had an off game that was no guarantee that PP would be easier to beat.

artestes

Turner's gonna be a junior. Apparently he left due to issues with PP's coach. I cannot believe he would transfer to CMC of all places... at least go to la verne or oxy chaz!

PP better be unstoppable up front this year though... ALLoyd was balling with D1 players all summer and Wexler-Berron played in the D1 Kenner League at Georgetown on a team with all the Gtown players.

Should be an interesting season.

castle

Last five years, CLU holds a 6-4 advantage over P-P.  Which includes a CLU 64-42 victory back on Jan. 30, 2002.  So CLU can beat the hens by 20!
"Dive for loose balls"

scandihoovian

There's a little love for the D3 & SCIAC way of things in this morning's LA Times sports section.  You do need to read all the way through to the end of the article where Pomona's Katsiaficas and Oxy's Widolff are quoted.

go to:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-seniors26aug26,1,2936787.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

diehardfan

Hi all, I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself.

I am a HUGE D3 basketball fan, who has been to games all over the nation, and posts here WAY too much, and I will be moving to somwhere between LA and San Diego in October.

I know I've posted here several times before, so I hope that I am not a total stranger, but I am definitely looking forward to getting to know the area, its teams, and you guys in the next few years. I am also definitely looking forward to spreading the d3basketball-love-through-cookies in a new area.   :D

Since I've seen a lot of midwest and east coast basketball in the last few years, maybe my presence out here will be a good source for comparison between the various regions since I know that this part of the country often feels very ignored.   ;)

So... which team should I support? I was sorta thinking CalTech... Hehe...
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

Mr. Ypsi

Well, April,

That (supporting Cal Tech) would be a tough job, but SOMEBODY ought to!  ;D

diehardfan

lol chuck... you would respond to my post before a fellow southern californian  :P

they would be fun to support, actually... d3sports to the max... sure they don't win a ton, but would you like to see their current science projects, IQs or SAT scores?  :o ;)
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

Mr. Ypsi

So what takes you to such a far-flung outpost of D3 - new job?  Checking out other conferences is now gonna be a time-and-finance nightmare!

I submit that "they [Cal Tech] don't win a ton" is already the shoo-in, hands-down winner for the prestigious "All-time Posting Up Understatement" award!  ;D

And does this pretty well guarantee you'll be standing me up (again!) at the MIAA-CCIW challenge?

BTW, since thunderstorm season is nearly over, I MAY drop the syllogism sometime, but Sandy is still pretty steamed that you don't seem to have done all you could to get rid of that 'hostile and offensive' nickname!  ;)  Though as the (overly) friendly dog she is, she is even MORE steamed that she never got a chance to jump on you and lick your face!  :(

scandihoovian

Ok DieHard-

Welcome to SoCal!  I think you'll find this board will heat up quite a bit once the season starts.  Here's a quick rundown for you so that you can start figuring out who you might want to root for:

Cal Tech: The ultimate underdog
Redlands: Fun and Gun - The "Grinnell System" gone wild (although most of the teams in the conference have figured out how to beat the system)
Whittier: Perennial underacheiver, every few years they hint at breaking through
LaVerne: Could be the next up and comer
CLU and CMS: Always in the hunt, both play good disciplined ball, usually one or both finishes just short of the title or occasionally wins it
Oxy: Always strong as well, separated from CLU & CMS by the fact that they have broken through and made a recent run to the Elite Eight
Pomona - Pitzer: Consistently among the 2 best teams in the conference and often the conference champ, but to the chagrin of the entire board they almost always fall flat in the first round of the tournament

Again - welcome to Southern California!