FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUAngola

Quote from: TUAngola on November 18, 2017, 10:35:25 AM
Ugh...rain, rain and more rain in store for today's Trine-Monmouth game here in Angola.  Would much rather sit in cold dry weather than rain.  Both teams can score, however this could be a low scoring affair today because of the conditions.  Keys will be which defense will play better, which offense doesn't turn the ball over, who has better field position to start drives.  Will report back after the game.   

Trine 63 Monmouth 24

Well I was wrong about the weather turning this game into a low scoring affair.  Trine played like...well...Trine has played all year.  Big play offense, a couple pick 6's on defense, and turned a half time barn burner into a route.  Monmouth reminds me of a lot like Adrian, they have a nice running back and the QB made some nice throws in the first half.

Monmouth received the kickoff and after a couple of first downs ran a pass play towards the sideline that was picked off by Hunter Hiatt who took it to the house.  Then the announcement came that there was some lightning strikes in the area and we had to clear the stands.  The Monmouth fans went to the ARC and Trine fans were directed to the University Center.  Wasn't a long delay, maybe 45 min to an hour.  Then the rest of the first half was punch by Monmouth, counter punch by Trine, lots of offense, 6 TD's alone in the 2nd quarter, 3 by each team.  I was nervous about the 2nd half, the defense really didn't show that they could stop the Scots.

But, the 2nd half proved me wrong again, the defense was outstanding, holding Monmouth to very few yards after they picked up a ton in the first half.  Trine just kept scoring.  It took the life out of Monmouth knowing they had to match score for score and couldn't keep up.  MIAA offensive MVP Evan Wyse was outstanding again, the kid has moxy.  Ran for 3 scores and threw a beautiful pass to Seth Boggs for another TD.  MIAA defensive MVP Marcus Winters wasn't do be outdone.  He closed the door on Monmouth early in the 4th with a pick 6 of his own.  From there the Trine reserves play the rest of the way and held serve.

Great game by the Thunder in miserable conditions.  Steady rain in the first half, and then the wind picked up in the second and got nasty with some driving rain.  On to the 2nd round next week.  Go Thunder! 

DBQ1965

Quote from: formerd3db on November 18, 2017, 04:04:54 PM
Trine game pretty much as expected.  I think they will have a good chance of advancing next week also. Would be great for them/our MIAA.  But this is the playoffs and it will be exciting to see what happens.

Finally I get to see a match up between MIAA AND IIAC teams.  Where the game is played will determine who has the edge ... Angola or Waverly?   The Thunder has played one Orange and Black team ... while the Knights have played two Blue and White teams.  In a world where trivia and  ennui mean nothing ... Go Wartburg.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

formerd3db

TUAngola:  Thanks for the summary/review.  For sure, the rain games this year have not been fun, but...the game goes on.  BTW, if I recall correctly, I believe that NCAA rules make it mandatory for a 1 hour wait after lightening is sighted before the game is allowed to resume and that count starts over again if lightening strikes again during the count.  Anyway, good luck to Trine next weekend.

DBQB:  You will have to "sit" on each side of the stadium for the game i.e. switch sides at halftime! ;) (If you can't make it to the actual game itself, you can put a dividing line on your couch! ;D)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Diezel1

Quote from: D O.C. on November 18, 2017, 12:16:44 PM
So I wake up early  :)  to watch a 9:00 am feed and I pick Trine.
It looks like gd Oregon out there.
No crowd. No teams. No fun.
Poor teams, at least I have the choice to go back to bed.

Looks like you will get to see how "poor" of a team Trine is next week.

formerd3db

Quote from: Diezel1 on November 18, 2017, 10:37:38 PM
Quote from: D O.C. on November 18, 2017, 12:16:44 PM
So I wake up early  :)  to watch a 9:00 am feed and I pick Trine.
It looks like gd Oregon out there.
No crowd. No teams. No fun.
Poor teams, at least I have the choice to go back to bed.

Looks like you will get to see how "poor" of a team Trine is next week.

I agree with you.  If Trine beats Wartburg, then we will really get to see how our MIAA representative stacks up against the winner of the NCC/UWO game.  If they were to win the latter contest, then I would say we have stepped up quite a bit. 
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Raider 68

To all the MIAA posters, Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving! :)
13 time Division III National Champions

formerd3db

First, thanks Raider68 and I hope you and yours had an enjoyable Thanksgiving as well.

Second, well, I am am not only surprised, but disappointed in the Trine result today.  After watching a portion of the video feed from the Wartburg/Franklin 1st round game last week (including the end), I totally expected at least a closer game.  Granted that Warburg is no slouch of a team whatsoever, however, I just thought Trine would give them a tough game and perhaps have a very good chance at going on to the 3rd round.  It is unfortunate that Trine ended up having their worst weekend of the season at this time.

Which, once again, brings me back to my belief and what I have been saying for the past several years.  Until our MIAA teams end up scheduling tougher non-conference competition, unfortunately the chances that our representative in the playoffs will make it to even the semis is slim and none.  That said, congratulations to the Trine team and coaching staff  for a very fine season.  They earned and deserved the trip to the playoffs and represented our league well.   

TUAngola

Quote from: formerd3db on November 25, 2017, 04:55:34 PM
First, thanks Raider68 and I hope you and yours had an enjoyable Thanksgiving as well.

Second, well, I am am not only surprised, but disappointed in the Trine result today.  After watching a portion of the video feed from the Wartburg/Franklin 1st round game last week (including the end), I totally expected at least a closer game.  Granted that Warburg is no slouch of a team whatsoever, however, I just thought Trine would give them a tough game and perhaps have a very good chance at going on to the 3rd round.  It is unfortunate that Trine ended up having their worst weekend of the season at this time.

Which, once again, brings me back to my belief and what I have been saying for the past several years.  Until our MIAA teams end up scheduling tougher non-conference competition, unfortunately the chances that our representative in the playoffs will make it to even the semis is slim and none.  That said, congratulations to the Trine team and coaching staff  for a very fine season.  They earned and deserved the trip to the playoffs and represented our league well.

Yes, congrats to Trine on such an outstanding season.  Wish the outcome today would have been better.  First time all year that Trine faced some adversity, fumbled 3 times in first part of the first quarter, got behind quickly and didn't have the firepower to come back against a really tough Wartburg team.  And once Wartburg got up they just steamrolled us.  Trine really doesn't have the passing attack to play from behind, and today was just one of those times where everything that could go wrong, did.

Mr. Ypsi

Congratulations to Trine on the best season any MIAA team has had since Trine dominated with Eric Watt, et. al.

The way it ended totally shocked me.  "The Quick Hits" guys and Wartburg grad Logan Hansen all pegged it a toss-up game, and I voted Trine as the most likely visiting team to win on the front page survey (though I actually thought Frostburg was even more likely).  Then it ends up being the worst blow-out of round two!  THREE TOs in the first seven(?) minutes of the game can really produce an avalanche!  Kinda like the easy interception that UM dropped in the second quarter completely turned that game around.

Pat Coleman

Even without being unable to hold onto the football, Trine wasn't as fast as Wartburg. They definitely had some speed on offense but Wartburg was faster across the board, and especially on defense.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerd3db

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 25, 2017, 10:10:56 PM
Congratulations to Trine on the best season any MIAA team has had since Trine dominated with Eric Watt, et. al.

The way it ended totally shocked me.  "The Quick Hits" guys and Wartburg grad Logan Hansen all pegged it a toss-up game, and I voted Trine as the most likely visiting team to win on the front page survey (though I actually thought Frostburg was even more likely).  Then it ends up being the worst blow-out of round two!  THREE TOs in the first seven(?) minutes of the game can really produce an avalanche!  Kinda like the easy interception that UM dropped in the second quarter completely turned that game around.
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 25, 2017, 10:17:12 PM
Even without being unable to hold onto the football, Trine wasn't as fast as Wartburg. They definitely had some speed on offense but Wartburg was faster across the board, and especially on defense.

Pat, as you and others of us have discussed, that once again just underscores that the MIAA still has a long way to go as yet to become more competitive in the playoffs.  And particularly since Trine essentially blasted all the rest of us MIAA teams during the conference schedule.  Since Franklin took Wartburg to OT, I would tend to think "us other MIAA" teams would have had a tough time against Franklin.  Oh, but I am not supposed to rationalize like that as I got chastised by G.S. earlier in the year for using that kind of misguided assuming logic! ::) ;)

Mr. Ypsi, I, too, thought that dropped interception was the big turning point in the game.  Aside from O'Korn's poor performance, Michigan just seemed to be drained after that play.  Also, I have to agree with some of the other college football "experts" commentary in that Urban's comments about Barnett's knee injury were a little overreaction.  Anyway, with the the upsets that took place yesterday, it will be interesting to see how the DI playoff eventual choices turnout after the upcoming round of conference championship games.

Other general post-Thanksgiving college football topics:

BTW, although we discussed some of this the other week, I was perusing Eastern Michigan's final results of their schedule this year and it was amazing that they lost those 5 games in a row, each by 5 points or less, including Kentucky, Army.  Were it not for that stretch, they would have had a breakout season even more that last year's success.  Next year will be the "tell tale" year in the Creighton tenure I believe.  Speaking of MAC teams, Solich seems to continue to do well at Ohio.  Not as great of a season as they have had in recent years, but still continues in having winning records.  Several of the other MAC schools are in very down periods right now.  I wonder how long Akron will keep Bowden?

Also, look at Northwestern.  Wow, another 9-3 season.  While they are not a powerhouse, they have become a very regular competitive program.  Fitzgerald is a great coach.

I first saw it from Pat and his d3fb.com that Alma decided to part ways with Pscodna.  It appears that many of the DIII schools are not settling for less than continued upward progress as opposed to up/down succession of years.  It will be interesting to see who Alma selects this time.  I have not heard who is on the short list as yet.

Raider 68

To all the MIAA posters, Have a Merry Christmas, Happy and Healthy New Year and safe travels! :)
13 time Division III National Champions

formerd3db

Quote from: Raider 68 on December 24, 2017, 08:07:03 AM
To all the MIAA posters, Have a Merry Christmas, Happy and Healthy New Year and safe travels! :)

Thanks Raider68 and the same to you and all our colleagues here and over on your OAC board as well.

formerd3db

Great hire for Alma College in selecting one of its own, Jason Couch.  He was a great player and student there and extremely successful high school coach down in greater Detroit area.  I remember him from his days there. With his passion and love for his alma mater and coaching/teaching ethic, I believe he will bring success to Alma, and particularly with returning to the era in recruiting more student-athletes again from the southeastern portion of Michigan, which has always had a high Alma alumni base (in addition to continuing recruiting from other more northern areas of the state).  Congratulations to Couch and his family and to Alma for a fine choice. I'm sure there were many qualified candidates.

Evergreen14

Hi! Just wanted to stop in and say hello. Though this is my first post, I have followed DIII football for over 25 years. I actually had my college visit at Albion just two months after they won the national championship. Anyways, love the game and this division as you really get to see the essence of what college football is about ... football. I really do not care about 100,000 seat stadiums and $15 beers. Give me student-athletes playing the game for the love of the game and earning a degree. It is just a lot of fun.

Anyways, hi! I have my dream non-conference match-ups I would like to post for thoughts. But, not sure where to do that. Been fun reading these boards for so long and I thought it was about time to join in.