FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaintsFAN

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 13, 2017, 09:25:41 AM
Quote from: HScoach on November 13, 2017, 08:56:54 AM
Quote from: iwu70 on November 12, 2017, 07:48:48 PM
Yes, IWU has officially announced the playoff game to start at 12 Noon, local time.

Should be a good one.  CWRU looks tough, with a very balanced offense.

IWU'70

You're partially right.  Case is balanced, but hardly tough.  Anything short of a 4 TD win will be disappointing.

Agree here.  CWRU's shot is sheer individual brilliance of Rob Cuda.  Past that, IWU should be able to control this thing physically.  As long as the Titan offense doesn't short circuit, I think this is a multi-TD MOV.

Cuda was banged up last week and after returning to the game, didn't seem like himself.  They really need him to be healthy.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

emma17

I'm looking forward to the NCC-St. John's game as I view them as very similar teams. I've always thought of NCC as a team blended with some highly talented players and many of the scrappy, technique-sound players that play in the DuPage Valley Conference. I see St. John's in a similar way.
I'd be shocked to see a domination by either team in this game.

CardinalAlum

Quote from: DuffMan on November 14, 2017, 08:30:31 AM
Congrats to NCC on another playoff berth.  It's hard to believe that this will be the first meeting between SJU and NCC!

To expand on sjusection105's summary of the J's:

The defense is smallish and fast.  They fly to the ball well and gang tackle.  The secondary is good.  The d-line is good, but being on the smaller side, they can be a bit susceptible to a powerful run game.  Brinker is one to watch there.  He will garner a lot of attention from opposing o-lines.  The linebackers are generally pretty solid.  They've battled some youth there, but they have been eliminating some of the mental mistakes that go along with that recently.

The offense is hit or miss.  When they're on, look out, but they have struggled at times this year to maintain drives.  Mental mistakes have killed some of those drives (false starts, holding).    They're very dangerous, though, and can score from anywhere.  QB Erdmann started his career at Penn State but transferred to SJU last year.  He's got a laser-guided cannon.  He's not much of a threat on the ground, though.  Feature RB Kruger is a slasher.  They try to use him as a power back too much, and I wish they wouldn't.  He hits the hole hard and is fast, but he's not going to break a lot of tackles.  The receiving corps is very good.  Evan Clark is likely the fastest kid you'll see, and he makes some superhuman plays.  He'll draw a lot of attention.  Harrington and Gillach compliment him nicely.  It was mentioned that the J's TE went down last week.  It didn't look good from my perspective, but there are two other TE's (Streit and Batch) who have played extensively and are big targets (6'5" and 6'7" respectively).   The o-line was a weakness.  They've improved as the season goes on, but I think they'll struggle if NCC blitzes them a lot.  You may see another QB come into the game.

Special teams have been good.  The placekicker is quite good.  Kick returners are excellent.  The punter hasn't overly impressed me, but last week, he pinned Concordia inside their 6 yard line 3 times in a row, so my opinion of him may be changing.  ;)

What can we expect from NCC?

I guess I'll start the conversation...NCC has a very good offense that wants to run the football with Austin Breunig and a good and physical offensive line.  Bruenig, I would like to match up with your Evan Clark, to see who might be faster.  If Breunig gets in the secondary, it will be a foot race he wins more often than not.  Our QB, Rutter, is one of the best our school has had and we have had some good ones in recent years.   He gets the ball out of his hands quick, with a strong and accurate arm.  SJU will have to find a way to pressure him to have success.   Our WR's are young but talented.  We will see how they respond to the playoffs. 

Defensively, we play a lot of people up front so fresh bodies are always coming at your offense.  Our linebackers tackle well and make a lot of tackles.  Sora and Warkenthein at LB are very good tacklers, especially for their size.  DB's have had their struggles early on but some personnel changes in the last few weeks have solidified the secondary.  Something to watch vs a talented SJU receiving corps. 

Special teams are mostly solid.  Nothing flashy or problematic.   Just efficient.   
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

AndOne

Often times the kicking game can spell the difference in a closely contested contest.

Should it come to that, NCC punter Zane Lodico led the CCIW with a (only punter > 40.0) 40.7 average.
FG kicker Liam Crotty tied for third in the nation hitting on .923% of his attempts (12-13).

The Cardinals ranked 4th in the nation in red zone efficiency at .929% (56 red zone attempts - 52 scores) so they don't necessarily kick often. However, when they do it, they do it pretty well.

iwu70

Hassan and Breunig it is.

Congrats to Coach Eash, Coach of the Year in CCIW.

Good picks overall for All-CCIW teams.  Congrats to all the All-CCIW players, including 12 TITANS.

NCC and IWU -- time to make some noise in the playoffs.

IWU'70

CardinalAlum

Congratulations to Austin Breunig as the offensive player of the year in the CCIW and to the other 13 Cardinals as well!  Hassan and Stormin Norman DPOY and Coach of the year for IWU.  Congrats as well and to all honorees.

http://cciw.org/sports/2017/11/14/FB_1114172257.aspx

https://t.co/SmWMlKJjOA
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Gregory Sager

The fact that Chaun Maiava didn't get DPOY is disappointing, but not unexpected. As I said before, I did not anticipate that the CCIW coaches would hand one of the POY awards to a player from a team that went 2-6 in conference play. The fact that Freddie Battaglia got the award for North Park when the Vikings had that same CCIW W-L record back in '82 doesn't mean anything in that regard, as that's so ancient as to be irrelevant to the current coaches. Chaun and his coaches and teammates will have to console themselves with the knowledge that he was deserving of it.

At least Matt DiFecchio and David Simmons got named to the All-CCIW team. I was worried that one or the other would be left out -- Simmons less so, given how conspicuous his play has been over the past few weeks -- so it was gratifying to see that the coaches recognized their contributions.

This turned out in some ways to be a better year for North Park than I had anticipated, especially given how much quality attritional loss the Vikings roster had suffered from the year before. The defense was good enough to overcome the lack of production from the severely limited offense in several games, and, as a result, the Vikings only got blown out twice all season. (Some years, a statistic like that is a victory in and of itself.) The only real yardstick, though, is wins and losses; while 3-7, 2-6 isn't really moving the program forward much, it was at least not a step backwards. In fact, it turned out well enough for the what-ifs to come into play, since if NPU had been able to hold on to its fourth-quarter leads early in the season against Midland and Elmhurst the Vikings would've snapped their string of losing seasons at 24. Alas, another season gets added on to the end of that string.

Unfortunately, that string is likely to become 26 by this time next year, because that good defense will now be gutted by graduation. The Vikings will lose all three of their starters on the defensive line, each of whom was a high-quality CCIW player; two starting linebackers, one of them the best LB that has suited up in Vikings livery since the early '70s; and a very solid safety in DiFecchio. Mike Conway and DC Gary Butler will find it a huge challenge to replace those guys all at once. The offense, on the other hand, has nowhere to go but up. The Park does have two promising freshmen at QB in Frank Mauigoa and Grant Borsch who now have extensive game experience, but there's no running game whatsoever and only one returning receiver who really made any kind of an impact at all in freshman Josh Rito. The offensive line returns three starters, but it still needs a lot of work. The only way that NPU is going to move the ball at all next year is if there are some immediate impact newcomers brought in who have big-play capability at the CCIW level, and that's a tall order for one recruiting class.

Rather than end on a down note in thinking about 2018, I just want to say congrats to the three Vikings who made the All-CCIW team this year -- plus thanks and good luck to all of the Vikings seniors for their hard work and dedication over the past four years.

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

OzJohnnie

I'm expecting a very fast and loose game on Saturday, particularly in the first quarter as the teams adjust to each other.  But not too high scoring. I think it will be a defense first game as the side which figures out the other offense first will win.  Neither team will score over 30, I don't think, and the loser will struggle to break 17.

Massey picks this 31-21, NCC. I think his model is broken by the cross conference relationship of this game.

D3boards own Hansen Ratings has this as a near dead heat with home field advantage giving NCC the slightest edge. Closer to the mark, I think.

We Johnnies have a quite active in game presence on these boards over in the western forums.  Any NCC supporters stuck on the Internet for this game are welcome to join us.
[  

Kovo

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 14, 2017, 04:38:14 PM
The fact that Chaun Maiava didn't get DPOY is disappointing, but not unexpected. As I said before, I did not anticipate that the CCIW coaches would hand one of the POY awards to a player from a team that went 2-6 in conference play. The fact that Freddie Battaglia got the award for North Park when the Vikings had that same CCIW W-L record back in '82 doesn't mean anything in that regard, as that's so ancient as to be irrelevant to the current coaches. Chaun and his coaches and teammates will have to console themselves with the knowledge that he was deserving of it.

At least Matt DiFecchio and David Simmons got named to the All-CCIW team. I was worried that one or the other would be left out -- Simmons less so, given how conspicuous his play has been over the past few weeks -- so it was gratifying to see that the coaches recognized their contributions.

This turned out in some ways to be a better year for North Park than I had anticipated, especially given how much quality attritional loss the Vikings roster had suffered from the year before. The defense was good enough to overcome the lack of production from the severely limited offense in several games, and, as a result, the Vikings only got blown out twice all season. (Some years, a statistic like that is a victory in and of itself.) The only real yardstick, though, is wins and losses; while 3-7, 2-6 isn't really moving the program forward much, it was at least not a step backwards. In fact, it turned out well enough for the what-ifs to come into play, since if NPU had been able to hold on to its fourth-quarter leads early in the season against Midland and Elmhurst the Vikings would've snapped their string of losing seasons at 24. Alas, another season gets added on to the end of that string.

Unfortunately, that string is likely to become 26 by this time next year, because that good defense will now be gutted by graduation. The Vikings will lose all three of their starters on the defensive line, each of whom was a high-quality CCIW player; two starting linebackers, one of them the best LB that has suited up in Vikings livery since the early '70s; and a very solid safety in DiFecchio. Mike Conway and DC Gary Butler will find it a huge challenge to replace those guys all at once. The offense, on the other hand, has nowhere to go but up. The Park does have two promising freshmen at QB in Frank Mauigoa and Grant Borsch who now have extensive game experience, but there's no running game whatsoever and only one returning receiver who really made any kind of an impact at all in freshman Josh Rito. The offensive line returns three starters, but it still needs a lot of work. The only way that NPU is going to move the ball at all next year is if there are some immediate impact newcomers brought in who have big-play capability at the CCIW level, and that's a tall order for one recruiting class.

Rather than end on a down note in thinking about 2018, I just want to say congrats to the three Vikings who made the All-CCIW team this year -- plus thanks and good luck to all of the Vikings seniors for their hard work and dedication over the past four years.

Ouch!  It wasn't THAT long ago when I suited up against FB!   ;)  Well maybe it was.

SJUrube

Quote from: OzJohnnie on November 14, 2017, 05:52:27 PM
We Johnnies have a quite active in game presence on these boards over in the western forums.  Any NCC supporters stuck on the Internet for this game are welcome to join us.

Another Johnnie checking in. I'm guessing I might be one of the few who has been to Naperville & NCC. In the early 2000s SJU's track team used to come down for a last chance meet at the end of the season. The track and football facilty was great. It's where I ran my last good college race. Also loved the (what I believe) was the old indoor track/gym combo. And even our limited time in the area around campus left us impressed.

If memory serves me right the home team is able to webcast playoff games, at least until the semis or so. It looks like a local TV station is in charge of broadcasts/webcasts. Is that correct?

Looking forward to the game.

CardinalAlum

Quote from: SJUrube on November 14, 2017, 10:12:34 PM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on November 14, 2017, 05:52:27 PM

Another Johnnie checking in. I'm guessing I might be one of the few who has been to Naperville & NCC. In the early 2000s SJU's track team used to come down for a last chance meet at the end of the season. The track and football facilty was great. It's where I ran my last good college race. Also loved the (what I believe) was the old indoor track/gym combo. And even our limited time in the area around campus left us impressed.

If memory serves me right the home team is able to webcast playoff games, at least until the semis or so. It looks like a local TV station is in charge of broadcasts/webcasts. Is that correct?

Looking forward to the game.

Good memory and correct.   There will be a live stream of the game here:

https://www.nctv17.com/

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Kovo on November 14, 2017, 09:28:41 PM

Ouch!  It wasn't THAT long ago when I suited up against FB!   ;)  Well maybe it was.

Since you and I are peers and you're a former football player, I'll bet that your bones sound much more like Rice Krispies when you wake up and get out of bed to go to the bathroom at 3 am than even mine do. Lots of snap, crackle, and pop.  ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Kovo

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 15, 2017, 12:03:15 AM
Quote from: Kovo on November 14, 2017, 09:28:41 PM

Since you and I are peers and you're a former football player, I'll bet that your bones sound much more like Rice Krispies when you wake up and get out of bed to go to the bathroom at 3 am than even mine do. Lots of snap, crackle, and pop.  ;)

To quote my high school age son after a (light) workout----"you can hobble pretty fast". ::)

And, to our new Viking friend lamenting Augie's struggles----I was injured in Rock Island while down 28-0.

robertthebruce50

To Kovo, those were some tough hard hitting games back then. Now, it's NCC and IWU going after the victories this weekend, which will not be easy.  For me, it's on to the basketball season. Let the games begin.

DuffMan

Quote from: CardinalAlum on November 15, 2017, 06:31:11 PM
For your leisurely reading outside of your Academic bowl talk!  :D. Just a preview that comes out from our side.

http://northcentralcardinals.com/news/2017/11/15/football-round-1-playoff-preview-saint-john-s.aspx

Thanks for the reading material.  SJU should have their "game notes" out today.  I'll post a link when I see them.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003