FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gate90 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

amh63

Sort of unusual day for me today....being 9/11 and checking on friends and family wrt to the hurricane Florida passage.  My older brother was at a tri-service mtg in Crystal City, Va. when the Pentagon was hit nearby.  He had to drive his rental car back to Huntsville, Alabama, where he was Chief Scientist at Redstone, the Army's lead ICBM development Center.  We had dinner together the night before, as usual when he is "in  town". 
My wife was checking on her "piano tuner" scheduled visit....he has moved to Florida, just below Jacksonville, several years ago but comes up Md for business.  My wife stated that his wife sounded "stressed out" abit as the storm was in the area.
This board's chatter is an bit of relief for me....Thanks all!
Agreed with WestCoastDad....Bates is always tough!  Talk of Bobcat quickness and speed is worrisome.
PolarCat....info on Hamilton is indeed needed! Their HC is a proven winner and great recruiter in NY.
Nescac1....a word of caution....a thin young offensive line can hinder talented RBs.  Last year, the young Amherst left side of the offensive line did not help the running game, imo.
The mention of Georgetown Prep in Bethesda, Md wrt Williams' RB brought back memories! A number of sons of famous Kennedy clan members attended the school.  It is ironic that one of Kennedy's cabinet member's son revived the Lord Jeff's " unofficial mascot" at Amherst.  He wore the LJ costume at football games during his years at Amherst. 
The offical Amherst football website remains almost a total blank as of this afternoon.  Finally a notice that the Bates game will have coverage.   Want a menu of PolarCat's cookout!

hamgrand

https://twitter.com/HamCollFootball/status/861628518429585409

Hamilton incoming recruiting class can be found on Twitter.  Last one announced on May 8th.

westcoastDad

Amherst had 104 players and cuts down to 75.  Clearly football is popular near Hadley.  Many from the class of 18' no longer. 

ColbyFootball

Quote from: westcoastDad on September 12, 2017, 10:12:36 AM
Amherst had 104 players and cuts down to 75.  Clearly football is popular near Hadley.  Many from the class of 18' no longer.
Did they cut seniors, or lose then for other reasons? I hope they weren't cut.

NESCAC.Football.Observer

Quote from: ColbyFootball on September 12, 2017, 10:26:25 AM

Rumor mills says the LJs will be cutting Seniors for the first time in recent history, if not ever in the EJ Mills realm.

No way they had 104 players show up.  I attended 2 practices.....  no way.  85-90 looked to be the max.

If you do the math..... 17 now Seniors (and that includes losing K Wall and adding baseball player Odenwaelder)......  if each of the other 3 classes averaged 25 remaining players (which they don't), you end up with 92 players.

Last year's roster had:

Now Seniors:   17
Now Juniors:    20
Now Soph's:     21
Total Upperclassmen Listed:  58
Misc returning Injured:         05
Transferred (Gill to Colgate): (01)
Transfers In:                        02 (or 03)
Total Estimate less Frosh:  64
Plus Frosh:      25

Total Possible Players:   Approx 89 max

Rumor mill says Seniors WILL be cut. Reason is that the class overall has been ruled "a miss".

These were the same players who, as Juniors, were skipped over to allow the now Juniors to play last year.... that "skipping over" was a big piece to some of the issues re "team cohesion" that impacted the LJ's last year.

Will be interesting to see how many seniors stick.

And.... my 2 cents.... football is a meritocracy...... it's unfortunate that seniors will be cut........but that's life.

IMHOO

ColbyFootball

Quote from: NESCAC.Football.Observer on September 12, 2017, 11:23:13 AM
Quote from: ColbyFootball on September 12, 2017, 10:26:25 AM

And.... my 2 cents.... football is a meritocracy...... it's unfortunate that seniors will be cut........but that's life.

Merit should be rewarded, but you must also consider effort, attitude and seniority. IMHO, if it's a close call talent and production wise, you have to go with the player with seniority.

IMHOO

NESCAC.Football.Observer

[/quote]

Merit should be rewarded, but you must also consider effort, attitude and seniority. IMHO, if it's a close call talent and production wise, you have to go with the player with seniority.

IMHOO
[/quote]

When you go 4-4 after 7-1, 8-0, and 8-0, and you've skipped over a class because the younger guys are better......AND the skipped guys had such a ****ty attitude that it negatively impacted the team.... well, you then re-evaluate the policy of "no cutting seniors".

EJ isn't going to cut any kid who MIGHT possibly help him win.

But after last year, if a senior has NO shot at playing, and the only reason he'd be kept is because he's a senior, then it seems as if the LJs have decided to build for the future.

amh63

This maybe old info to posters here....BUT...Middlebury has its roster up and a 2017 football rewiew on its website.  New for me :)
What I found surprising is that the Panthers show a rosterlist of less than 75.  I counted around 72 with less than 20 FY players...around 16-17.  What's up? 

polbear73

The Bowdoin roster totals 77 players with a huge class of 31 first years. Haven't had a chance to determine the number of non returnees from last year's underclassmen, but Coach Wells certainly had a busy recruiting year. 

polbear73

Correction for Bowdoin:  27 freshmen and 4 who didn't play at Bowdoin last year.

P'bearfan

Quote from: polbear73 on September 13, 2017, 05:32:55 AM
The Bowdoin roster totals 77 players with a huge class of 31 first years. Haven't had a chance to determine the number of non returnees from last year's underclassmen, but Coach Wells certainly had a busy recruiting year.

Hopefully that's a sign of a bright future in Brunswick!

GoUBears!!

polbear73

As best as I could determine, there are about 10 non-returning underclassmen from last year's Bowdoin roster, notable among them is projected starting defensive lineman Jay Mobley and stalwart athlete Brandon Lopez.  Bowdoin graduated about 18 from last year's 0-8 team.  A lot of turnover as JB Wells enters his third year in Brunswick. 

nescac1

Williams-Bowdoin game notes out, will be of interest to Bowdoin fans as it lists Bowdoin starters. 

As for the Williams starters, holy cow ... FIVE first years starting on offense, and three on defense.  And that doesn't include QB Bobby Maimaron, who I imagine is likely to see some time on the field early in the season:

http://static.psbin.com/j/k/edicgy2cmoatzs/2017_Final_Bowdoin.pdf

Pretty much all the frosh that I had focused on as recruits, other than Maimaron, are starting: OL Watson, TE Burke, RB Dozier, PK Park, LBs Rothman and Wesner, as well as a few others: WRs Stola and Nelson and DB Kastenhuber (who, oddly enough, was originally committed to Bowdoin, I believe).  These guys clearly have talent and are highly regarded recruits, but at the same time, in football more than any other sport, it's hard for frosh to be physically ready to play from day 1.   WR Nelson does look interesting on tape -- reasonably fast, good hands, and very quick / smooth with his change of direction.  Clearly, the new staff is trying to inject some speed and athleticism on the field.  Other than the OL, which is massive, the team is VERY small, but hopefully quicker, across the board (with S Apuzzi moving to LB to presumably add some speed to that unit, along with the two new frosh, as well). 

Lots of vets who have been productive in the past are NOT starting.  Some of these guys may be hurt, but clearly some have just been surpassed.  Most notable: senior captain and LB Michael Berry (the most surprising omission, perhaps hurt) and veteran TBs Connor Harris and Noah Sorrento (Sorrento at least, I believe, is currently injured).  Also, TE/WR Tyler Patterson was very productive in his few games on the field last year; not sure if he is hurt or, again, was beaten out in pre-season by a talented frosh.  Crazy to see that three of the four guys catching passes to start the season are first years ....

DL, DB, and QB (for now) are the only units with any stabiility at ALL from last year. 

polbear73

Yanks, nescac1.  By contrast Bowdoin, while also quite young, appears to be starting only one freshman, linebacker Wesley Hudson.  A lot of young talent by both teams has seemed to generate more interest than one would expect of two 0-8 teams on 12 and 13 game losing streaks. 

nescac1

Bowdoin has the advantage of two recruiting classes with the new staff, while Williams has only one (I'm guessing Bowdoin has quite a few soph starters?).  These are clearly Raymond's guys.  I'm guessing they have plenty of talent, but will they be ready -- both physically and mentally -- for college football action after only a few weeks of practice?  Certainly a lot to ask!  Still, for the first time in a long time for Williams, at least the future looks bright ...