Started by Greek Tragedy, February 25, 2017, 04:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwumichigander

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 27, 2017, 08:41:45 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 27, 2017, 08:08:49 PM
Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 27, 2017, 06:01:46 PM
Quote from: txg on February 27, 2017, 05:55:54 PM
Quote from: bbfan44 on February 27, 2017, 05:02:04 PM
Trying to understand the brackets:  are the top 4 seeds Whitman, Middlebury, Swarthmore, and UWRF?

Swarthmore isn't even the top seed in its own opening weekend pod.  Remarkable that they are hosting.

Have there ever been two closer tournament hosts than Swarthmore and Neumann?  They can't be much more than 5 miles apart.

St. Johns Fisher and University of Rochester are both hosting as well this year... According to Sager in the UAA board that is 6 miles apart.

Swarthmore and Neumann are either  seven and a half miles or eight and a half miles (depending upon which route you take) apart, so St. John Fisher and Rochester win this weird contest.

Using the official NCAA distance numbers - SJF to Rochester and Rochester to SJF are both 7.0 miles.  Swarthmore to Neumann is 11 miles and Neumann to Swarthmore is 10.

I'm not sure how those are figured, though - they have Eastern and Cabrini as 4 miles apart, which is preposterous.  CMS is literally across the street from Pitzer, but the NCAA has them at 2 miles.  Who knows?
I believe the NCAA uses the address registered by the school which may not be the address of the athletic facility. Learned this painfully a few years ago - one address had us a mile over the 500 limit the one on file 1 mile under the 500 limit - the difference between flight or , ugh, a very long bus ride.
The other mileage differential maybe one way streets or non-direct paths between same two points.

Smitty Oom

If anybody has the ability to make a map of the US with the logo of each of the 64 teams represented in the Men's Bracket where their school is located that would be a very cool and useful visual to see where all these teams are traveling. I feel like it may be hard to accomplish this though so if it is too time consuming don't bother! Just inquiring...

EDIT: I just typed and sent this post. Hopefully you can read through the poor wording to see what I am getting at.

AllStar

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 28, 2017, 12:01:04 AM
If anybody has the ability to make a map of the US with the logo of each of the 64 teams represented in the Men's Bracket where their school is located that would be a very cool and useful visual to see where all these teams are traveling. I feel like it may be hard to accomplish this though so if it is too time consuming don't bother! Just inquiring...

EDIT: I just typed and sent this post. Hopefully you can read through the poor wording to see what I am getting at.

I tried my best  ???  Hopefully this is of some use...you can click on it to make it bigger and use the scroll bar to move left and right.  I certainly understand that it might be hard to read, but many schools are in really close proximity.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: AllStar on February 28, 2017, 01:18:38 AM

I tried my best  ???  Hopefully this is of some use...you can click on it to make it bigger and use the scroll bar to move left and right.  I certainly understand that it might be hard to read, but many schools are in really close proximity.

+1
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

You've got the MIT line pointed to Endicott (MIT is the dot below the Endicott name), but very excellent.  Far better than I could do.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

Here's an informal poll to get some chatter going.

Of the 16 host teams, which is the most likely to get upset in the first round?

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 28, 2017, 08:42:28 AM

Hope, Rochester, St. John Fisher, Swarthmore - probably in that order.

txg

I'll pick Hope.

Greek Tragedy

My 2 candidates involve, naturally, WIAC teams.

First off, I think River Falls could get upset by Bethel. I feel the Falcons completely got hosed. The #1 regionally ranked team in the Central, WIAC regular season and tourney champs get "rewarded" with a 1st round game with Bethel, the co-champ of the MIAC with St. Thomas and MIAC tourney champ. Also in their pod is Wartburg, the 6th seed, tourney champ from the IIAC. Not sure how the NCAA screwed that up.

My other candidate is Oshkosh upsetting Hope. I know playing at Hope is a daunting task, but they shouldn't even be hosting. Despite the Titans losing the WIAC championship game, they are playing really well as of late. Hope did go 3-1 against the WIAC, beating Stout, La Crosse and River Falls, but falling to Stevens Point.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 28, 2017, 08:50:23 AM

Are you that impressed with Albertus Magnus hailing from the GNAC or the fact that Rochester has lost their last 2 and 3 of their last 5?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 28, 2017, 09:19:57 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 28, 2017, 08:50:23 AM

Are you that impressed with Albertus Magnus hailing from the GNAC or the fact that Rochester has lost their last 2 and 3 of their last 5?

Momentum is a big part of it - AMC is way better now than they were in January; Rochester is the opposite.  Plus the clash of styles could cause problems for Rochester (or AMC) and the AMC seniors have experience with a deep run on a good team.

Really, I just picked the matchups where the lower seed didn't seem entirely overmatched.  River Falls might be next for the same reason.

D3HoopJunkie

The match-up between Albertus and Rochester should be an excellent first round game. As you know I am a little biased being an Albertus supporter but I really think the committee did no favors to Rochester here. With all due respect to Union, and I know the numbers on paper suggest other wise, but there is no way that Albertus should be considered the weakest if you will in this 4 team POD. Obviously the host (Rochester) is the #1 seed who will play the #4 (Albertus) in the first round. Making Wesleyan and Union the defacto 2 vs 3 match-up.

Again I want to stress that I am not saying the NCAA got it wrong but what I will say is Rochester got a very tough draw. I know this Falcons team well, we are not going to roll over for anyone and we are really clicking at the right time. I have watched every game this season and from Game 1 to now, as Ryan Scott mentioned you cant even compare the team in terms of confidence and overall performance.

I look forward to a great match-up on Friday between two really well coached teams who have completely opposite styles. If Albertus doesn't turn the ball over to much I really like our chances in this game.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: AllStar on February 28, 2017, 01:18:38 AM

Very good! Thanks All Star, almost as good as all of your brackets for the conference tourneys!  ;)

As expected, it really does highlight the lack of (good bball) schools west of the Mississippi.

AllStar

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 28, 2017, 07:59:06 AM

You've got the MIT line pointed to Endicott (MIT is the dot below the Endicott name), but very excellent.  Far better than I could do.

Ballpark area.   ;D I actually only threw it together after I read Smitty Oom's post.  When you want to show the whole country, a whole lot of school names get lost because they are concentrated together.  The good news is I don't think I missed any despite it being hard to read.  I had to manually add several of them.  Close enough.  ;D

NEPAFAN

Quote from: AllStar on February 28, 2017, 11:47:21 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 28, 2017, 07:59:06 AM

Ballpark area.   ;D I actually only threw it together after I read Smitty Oom's post.  When you want to show the whole country, a whole lot of school names get lost because they are concentrated together.  The good news is I don't think I missed any despite it being hard to read.  I had to manually add several of them.  Close enough.  ;D

Great job!
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi