2017 Great Lakes Region

Started by Domino1195, February 28, 2017, 04:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DagarmanSpartan

Case over #3/#4 Lycoming 1-0!!!

GO SPARTANS!!!

bestfancle

Today's the big game for JCU. Win here and they have a chance at being undefeated.

My prediction 1-1 draw, going into a place like CMU will be tough. I think the refs will play a big factor in this game. Free kicks and corners my decide this one. JCU does come in with a lot of rest, which should be nice. At kickoff the temp is expected to be 88 degrees!!

mondomike

And CMU strike first, with an excellent run and finish by #10, Cohen.
JCU hit the crossbar 10 minutes earlier.
so far, fairly even, with the goal as the divider.

mondomike

CMU 1-0 JCU at the half
towards the end of the half, CMU had some good possession, and JCU legs looked a little tired, but still fairly even.
hot day, with a water break 30 minutes in.

mondomike

JCU tie it up at the very last second of the game!
OT coming up..

mondomike

up to that point, i would have said that CMU had done what they needed to do in order to close the game out.
should be an interesting overtime
88 degrees in Pittsburgh right now 8-)

bestfancle

What a game today.

Honestly, at times, JCU looked lost and out of it. That being said, there were other time where the team looked as if it could score at any minute. Both JCU and CMU had one shot that hit the bar. JCU also missed an open net with about 10 minutes left. This was pretty much as even as two teams could be, both keepers made some great saves as well. For a team like JCU to travel to CMU, in 90 degree heat, and get a tie is a good result for them.

CMU also looked great, particularly in the first half hour of the game. JCU couldn't really get anything started at the beginning.

Now moving on to that last play in regular time... I have never seen such a composed decision in a collegiate game before. I honestly believe that 99% of players are going to shoot the ball if it is at their feet, in the box, with 3 seconds left in the game. The one player for JCU had the composure to slide the ball over to the other side of the box to find Rozsits who put it away with 1 second left on the clock! Incredible!

JCU deserved to score, I believe they really outmatched CMU the last 10 minutes of regular time. I give credit to the coaches, they pulled out a lot of starters with 30 minutes left in the game to send them back in rested with 10 minutes left and apply pressure. JCU looked as if they would get a winner in OT until Lombardo got a (deserved) 2nd yellow. Although he got the first one from celebrating the tying goal (...dumb).

Both the teams looked great, and I expect them to compete nationally. As far as rankings go, I expect both teams to stay about the same; CMU might even rise a bit.

midwest

Has anyone seen Depauw play?  Both Wooster and Manchester beat them this weekend.

Domino1195

Quote from: midwest on September 24, 2017, 08:21:55 PM
Has anyone seen Depauw play?  Both Wooster and Manchester beat them this weekend.

I have not - but I've seen Manchester twice and Wooster twice. I'd tip Wooster as having a good chance to finish 4th in the NCAC - as I've said previously they are scrappy and they don't quit. They have a young coach who impresses me with his sideline demeanor, his mgmt of the team - and I think he got to them after that horrible collapse vs Baldwin Wallace. Manchester frustrated ONU for 70 minutes - not much in the way of attacking play and not exactly parking the bus. Did the same to Otterbein first half. Interested to see what happens at Heidelberg.

Going to run my Massey numbers later today but the NCAC is clearly down this year. I don't think Oberlin is a given for the post season - after OWU and Kenyon, eliminating Wittenberg - it's up for grabs.

Domino1195

Quote from: bestfancle on September 24, 2017, 08:19:08 PM
What a game today.

Honestly, at times, JCU looked lost and out of it. That being said, there were other time where the team looked as if it could score at any minute. Both JCU and CMU had one shot that hit the bar. JCU also missed an open net with about 10 minutes left. This was pretty much as even as two teams could be, both keepers made some great saves as well. For a team like JCU to travel to CMU, in 90 degree heat, and get a tie is a good result for them.

CMU also looked great, particularly in the first half hour of the game. JCU couldn't really get anything started at the beginning.

Now moving on to that last play in regular time... I have never seen such a composed decision in a collegiate game before. I honestly believe that 99% of players are going to shoot the ball if it is at their feet, in the box, with 3 seconds left in the game. The one player for JCU had the composure to slide the ball over to the other side of the box to find Rozsits who put it away with 1 second left on the clock! Incredible!

JCU deserved to score, I believe they really outmatched CMU the last 10 minutes of regular time. I give credit to the coaches, they pulled out a lot of starters with 30 minutes left in the game to send them back in rested with 10 minutes left and apply pressure. JCU looked as if they would get a winner in OT until Lombardo got a (deserved) 2nd yellow. Although he got the first one from celebrating the tying goal (...dumb).

Both the teams looked great, and I expect them to compete nationally. As far as rankings go, I expect both teams to stay about the same; CMU might even rise a bit.

Great match and write-up. Being a fan and providing objectivity is appreciated. Definitely worth staying indoors on a 90 degree day to watch this evenly played game. And I agree on the final shot
- the announcer said "1" and I still wasn't sure he'd get the shot off. But this was a fair result.

Surprised at the water breaks. College obviously allows for subs whereas pros don't. I thought the Cap-TM game would employed this as well - 95 at game time, also on turf. The officials did not.

midwest

Quote from: Domino1195 on September 25, 2017, 06:35:24 AM
Quote from: midwest on September 24, 2017, 08:21:55 PM

I have not - but I've seen Manchester twice and Wooster twice. I'd tip Wooster as having a good chance to finish 4th in the NCAC - as I've said previously they are scrappy and they don't quit. They have a young coach who impresses me with his sideline demeanor, his mgmt of the team - and I think he got to them after that horrible collapse vs Baldwin Wallace. Manchester frustrated ONU for 70 minutes - not much in the way of attacking play and not exactly parking the bus. Did the same to Otterbein first half. Interested to see what happens at Heidelberg.

Going to run my Massey numbers later today but the NCAC is clearly down this year. I don't think Oberlin is a given for the post season - after OWU and Kenyon, eliminating Wittenberg - it's up for grabs.

Thanks -- Wooster coach is charismatic, energetic, a great coach for young men, so I'm not surprised he is getting results from his kids.  My kid considered playing there, but chose elsewhere.  We happen to know Manchester coach as well, more low key in style, but again, the kind of coach who inspires complete dedication in his players.  Happy to see them both getting some good results (until my kid's team faces them, then all bets are off).

bestfancle

Thanks Domino.

Yes, the water breaks were bizarre, and I think they benefited JCU more. I'm not sure if it was bus fatigue or simple fitness. I feel that JCU was more "coached" yesterday than CMU, for better or for worse. More substitutions and strategic changes for JCU, while it seemed like the CMU coach was letting his players figure it out and just trying to keep them motivated.

Domino1195

Massey ratings through yesterday:

Team         

Record

SoS

SSF
Week Ahead
John Carroll

7-0-1

Fredonia, Wilmington
Carnegie Mellon

6-0-1

NYU, PSU-Behrend
Ohio Wesleyan

'5-3-0

Capital, Wooster
Kenyon

'5-2-2

CWRU, Denison
Heidelberg

'6-0-0

Manchester, @Muskingum
Transylvania

'7-0-0

Rose-Hulman, @Mt. St. Joseph
Case Western

'4-3-1

@Kenyon, Brandeis
ONU

'6-2-1

Anderson, @Mt. Union
Capital

'5-3-0

@OWU, Otterbein
Otterbein

'6-2-0

@ Capital
Thomas More

'4-3-1

@Denison, @Grove City
Grove City

'4-2-2

@Baldwin Wallace, Thomas More

Many of the top teams play at home this week - Case looking at yet another brutal week - #1 SSF schedule in the country.  Kind of impressed with the schedule strength - past and future - for GL teams.  Now you have to win some of these tough matches.

• Transylvania has two games left that will challenge, and they get conference contender Rose-Hulman right away. SoS looks like it will continue to decline so - again - no slip ups for you. After RH they have 4 straight away games - Hanover the third, followed by Manchester.  Manchester will put up a fight and depending on the Hanover game they may have to dig deep emotionally for that game.
  • Prac - Thomas More may be the new front runner - this week. Got to take care of business away at Denison before opening conference play at GC.  Geneva, CG and TM will surely make the post season - so they will get to play each other a second time.  Geneva's two tilts against these two are away.
  • NCAC - OWU's schedule and performance lead me to tabbing them the front runner.  Kenyon can restate their case - well - by having a good performance against Case.  Then the Boondocks Derby with Denision.  As I said earlier I think Wooster has a real chance for the NCAC tournament - we'll learn more about them when they visit OWU on Saturday.
  • AMCC - it's PSU-B's title to lose.  I know Franciscan and Mt. Aloysius have gawdy records but they have't played anyone of note.  PSU-B is the highest rated AMCC team in the GL at #14.
  • OAC - JCU.  Not sure what else needs to be said.  Their biggest challenge from here on out will be between their ears.  It is mentally difficult to maintain such a performance rate, and we saw in the Medaille game they can let their foot off the gas.  ONU continues to figure out their starting XI and has a fairly easy week. I swear I'm not a hater but Heidelberg's schedule bothers me.  I watched the Kenyon game - I saw how fortunate they were not to lose that game.  I tip Otterbein as third best and have Heidelberg and Capital at 4-5.  Otterbein has the week off before the C-Bus Derby at Cap next Sat - I expect we'll see several 'Bein players at OWU on Wed.  Heidelberg has pesky Machester before starting conference play.  And Capital - inconsistent and struggling mentally.  They are on pace to set a 4 yr high mark in YC and RC, and the cards they are receiving aren't even due to hard fouls - it's dissent, delay restarts.  With 75% of the team being freshman and sophs you expected some immaturity, but not this much.

PaulNewman

Kenyon back to form again playing with fire and today barely escaping with a 1-0 win over Case after 24 to 8 shots advantage.  That included giving up a PK late just like they did against Heidelberg.  I think the Lords went a couple of seasons without giving up ANY PKs.

If we take out the scrimmage with Wittenberg, the last four results go like this....

25-5 in shots....0-0 T

26-12 in shots...1-1 T

21-15 in shots 3-2 L

24-8 in shots 1-0 W

If the team isn't going to score then might as well make the defense as impenetrable as possible.  Myers is running his socks off up top when he could be strengthening the defense at a minimum from a holding mid role.  And then, Carmona, who you don't necessarily want isolated as a defender because of his size and occasional loose plays, could play the attacking, creative mid role and help create some better chances for the forwards.  Not to mention that without Myers next to him Lowry is forced to make even more stops on his own than usual.  Maybe they will get it together and/or be saved by how weak the NCAC is appearing to be...does look like a two-way race at the moment.  Maybe Oberlin will rebound but they have been disappointing.  Think about this (and this is what I was trying to explain a week or two ago about the after-shock effects of falling short in big spots...Oberlin was 5 minutes away from knocking off Calvin, and since then has lost their most competitive games rather routinely.

bestfancle

OAC News:

POW - Juan Rivas, FWD, Otterbein - 3 goals and an assist in a 4-1 week. His 2nd hat trick of the year.

Standings (non-conference):
1. Heidelberg (6-0)
2. John Carroll (8-0-1)
3. Otterbein (6-2)
4. ONU (6-2-1)
5. Marietta (5-2-1)
6. Capital (5-3)
7. Wilmington (5-3-1)
8. BW (4-5)
9. Mount Union (3-4)
10. Muskingum (2-5-1)

JCU almost "Pulled a Kenyon" tonight. Couldn't find the net in the first half missing Lombardo. Ended up polishing off fredonia 2-0.

This week begins the OAC regular season.

My Playoff Predictions (top-6 make it in OAC, with seeds 1 and 2 getting byes):

1. JCU - (9-0) - Should not be troubled in the conference.
2. Heidelberg - (7-1-1) - I expect a tie vs. ONU and a loss to JCU
3. ONU - (6-2-1) - Uncertainty will cost them an extra loss against another team.
4. Capital - (5-3-1) - Losses to the 3 teams above them and maybe a tie.
5. Otterbein - (5-4)
6. BW - (4-4-1) - I know, odd pick, but I think Ruple will cause trouble in the OAC.

Outside looking in: Marietta (4-5), Wilmington (2-7), Mount (1-6-2), Muskingum (0-9)