Shenandoah, TX 2018-19 NCAA d3fb championships

Started by Ron Boerger, October 13, 2017, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The area behind the dotted line is used for the jumbotron truck and such. Put bleachers in there and the truck can't maneuver very well. Furthermore, the bleachers have direct access to the field without many ways to hold people back. I bet many would consider that a security issue - also can't really get to that section of the field without getting to it from field level.

Also, the student-bodies are right behind their benches in Salem. It is plenty loud at field level.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AO

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 22, 2018, 03:29:21 PM
The area behind the dotted line is used for the jumbotron truck and such. Put bleachers in there and the truck can't maneuver very well. Furthermore, the bleachers have direct access to the field without many ways to hold people back. I bet many would consider that a security issue - also can't really get to that section of the field without getting to it from field level.

Also, the student-bodies are right behind their benches in Salem. It is plenty loud at field level.
Where do you even go to rent a jumbotron?  That's got to be a pretty unique rental place.  And I'm absolutely arguing for sacrificing a bit of "security" to increase atmosphere.  I trust D3 fans to not disrupt the game. 

Warren Thompson

Quote from: merlecanlas on January 22, 2018, 12:10:32 PM
Quote from: phil on January 21, 2018, 02:08:57 PM
Merle, keep watching those Shenandoah council meetings and report back to us regarding how southerners pronounce certain words and your own perceived slights to the DIII football world. You're the posting equivalent to one fan in a 23,000 seat stadium.
The TX lady bitched about the cold numerous times, I'm sorry if I hurt your precious feeling about the way she spoke.  If you want, we can hold hands and talk about our feelings together at the next Stagg Bowl.  You are special and people love you.  I am really sorry if your precious feelings were hurt.

Are you quite certain you want to go down the road of snarky with Phil? Just asking.

Knightstalker

Quote from: Warren Thompson on January 22, 2018, 05:49:19 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on January 22, 2018, 12:10:32 PM
Quote from: phil on January 21, 2018, 02:08:57 PM
Merle, keep watching those Shenandoah council meetings and report back to us regarding how southerners pronounce certain words and your own perceived slights to the DIII football world. You're the posting equivalent to one fan in a 23,000 seat stadium.
The TX lady bitched about the cold numerous times, I'm sorry if I hurt your precious feeling about the way she spoke.  If you want, we can hold hands and talk about our feelings together at the next Stagg Bowl.  You are special and people love you.  I am really sorry if your precious feelings were hurt.

Are you quite certain you want to go down the road of snarky with Phil? Just asking.

Warren has a point here.  Phil is from Jersey, we invented snarky attitudes in NJ.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Knightstalker on January 22, 2018, 06:30:28 PM
Warren has a point here.  Phil is from Jersey, we invented snarky attitudes in NJ.

Indeed. They're often envied, but seldom equaled.  :P

phil

Awwwww, shucks....  :-*

I had an old college friend call while I was picking up my daughter from Crossfit. My friend's from Little Ferry, NJ and still has the Joisey accent of legend. My daughter sat in awe as she schooled her on how to properly pronounce "watah", "cawfee", etc. I never had the over the top Jersey accent, but with all the softball tourneys my daughter plays, she constantly gets told that she pronounces "tournament" wrong. Texas = turn•a•mint. Jersey = tor•na•ment

Merle = condescending

MiacMan

Does anyone have a link to the venue in Shenandoah? Canton looks fabulous!

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

HScoach

Quote from: phil on January 22, 2018, 09:36:09 PM

I had an old college friend call while I was picking up my daughter from Crossfit. My friend's from Little Ferry, NJ and still has the Joisey accent of legend. My daughter sat in awe as she schooled her on how to properly pronounce "watah", "cawfee", etc. I never had the over the top Jersey accent, but with all the softball tourneys my daughter plays, she constantly gets told that she pronounces "tournament" wrong. Texas = turn•a•mint. Jersey = tor•na•ment

Merle = condescending

You're being more polite than he deserves.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

MUC57

K & J's Dad

Thanks for the links to Shenandoah. Looks like a really nice stadium. Other than the fact that it's quite a distance away, it should work out well. Just hope Mount will get there. (I think they will)!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

merlecanlas

Quote from: HScoach on January 23, 2018, 10:52:49 AM
Quote from: phil on January 22, 2018, 09:36:09 PM

Merle = condescending

You're being more polite than he deserves.

and I thought we were best of friends

smedindy

I think Wabash and others have traveled well. Ask the Whitewater folks how many Wabash fans went to Whitewater IN THE MIDDLE OF A FLIPPIN' BLIZZARD!

Also, I was in Alliance the first time Wabash played Mt. Union - there was shock and awe when we arrived and we stayed until the end. In the NCAC, sometimes we outdraw the host (Ok, like Hiram and Kenyon, but still...)

Give alums a reason to travel and some lead time (or no more than a 24-hour drive with an RV full of fans), we'll be there.

edward de vere

Quote from: smedindy on January 24, 2018, 07:37:24 PM
Give alums a reason to travel and some lead time (or no more than a 24-hour drive with an RV full of fans), we'll be there.

Well then, that certainly explains Eddie Murphy's quote about all-male schools in "48 Hrs."

phil

Well, I tried to be optimistic about the Stagg Bowl considering the stadium is minutes away for me, but clearly the city of Shenandoah, TX was in over their heads when they made this bid, and the new administration which took office with little knowledge of what had taken place with the NCAA bid, seem to want nothing to do with it or its associated responsibilities. Considering we're a little more than a month away, the Stagg Bowl is a secret in these parts, and the biggest PR I could find regarding the event, sadly was this: https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/woodlands/news/article/Shenandoah-caught-off-guard-by-unknown-Stagg-Bowl-12834470.php

The City of Shenandoah (which is known to us folks who live here in The Woodlands as not much more than a speed trap), projected costs for the event to be $170k with revenue at roughly $220k. But of course, when you enter into a "No Cost Bid" with the NCAA, that means you're on the hook for whatever is above and beyond your estimate – which in this case is an additional $80k – which means the City of Shenandoah would already losing money on the Stagg Bowl. The board voted down these additional costs – which included $15k for collegiate goalposts.

This was back in April, and additional information (just like the game itself), has been really difficult to find – and that includes looking through the Shenandoah Board meeting minutes. I'm sure they were able to work something out with the NCAA, but suffice to say, nobody on the Shenandoah Board has embraced this event:
"8. Discussion and possible action to approve increased funding for the 2018 Stagg Bowl budget. COUNCILMEMBER RAYMAKER MADE A MOTION TO DENY ADDITIONAL FUNDING FOR
THE 2018 STAGG BOWL BUDGET, COUNCILMEMBER BRADT SECONDED.
AFTER SOME DISCUSSION, COUNCILMEMBER RAYMAKER MADE AN AMENDED MOTION
TO TABLE INCREASED FUNDING FOR THE 2018 STAGG BOWL BUDGET, COUNCILMEMBER BRADT SECONDED. THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY."

I hope for big crowds, good weather, and great football – but I think Shenandoah's Board feel like they're stuck with the Stagg Bowl and will do whatever they can to save money on an event they didn't want in the first place.