2018 NCAA Tournament

Started by Ralph Turner, February 25, 2018, 07:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I need to turn those podcasts around... exhausted at the end of today's show that I decided it needed to wait until tomorrow.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 26, 2018, 10:33:51 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 26, 2018, 08:37:56 PM
It's really disappointing that they couldn't split up Whitman and Whitworth. I failed geography, but did they fly LeTourneau out? I'm pretty sure Sul Ross State got flown out, though sending Whitworth or Whitman to Platteville or Emory would probably be harsh.

Of the tough 1st rounders, off the top of my head: Point v NCC, Plattsburgh v Nichols, Marietta v Oshkosh, Wooster v IWU...
Greek, and anyone else who wants to comment,

I seek insight into your perceived strength of the Pool C's relative to the AQ's.

For arbitrary assignment, let's use the Hoopsville first 17 and then plug in the last 4 in any order.

1) In straight ranking, how many Pool A teams do you perceive are better than:

Hoopsville Pool C #1 Hamilton?

Hoopsville Pool C #8 Wooster?

Hoopsville Pool C #9 Marietta?

Hoopsville Pool C #14 UW-Oshkosh?

Hoopsville Pool C #17 IWU?

Hoopsville Pool C "#18 NCC" and assume they came off next.

NCC got in ahead of IWU, Ralph. The final regional rankings have NCC #6 in the Central and IWU #7. Also, Marietta (Great Lakes #3) was ahead of Wooster (Great Lakes #4).
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

Are all the Saturday games at the same local time? 7 pm, for example? Or are there afternoon games?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 26, 2018, 11:15:10 PM
Are all the Saturday games at the same local time? 7 pm, for example? Or are there afternoon games?

There is a standard time, but I do not know, for sure, what it is.  There are legitimate reasons for changing it, but I am also unclear as to what those are.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

augie77

Games are at 5:30 and 7:30 local time unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Due to Sabbath restrictions Yeshiva and York will tip off in York at 1:00 pm on Friday.  Hamilton and Nazareth will follow at 3:00.

Onward on, John Carroll

There is an option to have a split session and play the games at 5:30 and 8:00 so you can empty the gym in between. I also believe that the home team must play the second game. That's what I have been told. I think the Saturday games are at 7:00.

I assume that the NCAA can grant waivers if necessary and requested.

spwood

Quote from: augie77 on February 27, 2018, 01:07:13 AM
Games are at 5:30 and 7:30 local time unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Due to Sabbath restrictions Yeshiva and York will tip off in York at 1:00 pm on Friday.  Hamilton and Nazareth will follow at 3:00.

The NCAA.com bracket shows the game as 1 PM on Saturday.  I assumed that was a misprint.

fantastic50

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 26, 2018, 10:33:51 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 26, 2018, 08:37:56 PM
It's really disappointing that they couldn't split up Whitman and Whitworth. I failed geography, but did they fly LeTourneau out? I'm pretty sure Sul Ross State got flown out, though sending Whitworth or Whitman to Platteville or Emory would probably be harsh.

Of the tough 1st rounders, off the top of my head: Point v NCC, Plattsburgh v Nichols, Marietta v Oshkosh, Wooster v IWU...
Greek, and anyone else who wants to comment,

I seek insight into your perceived strength of the Pool C's relative to the AQ's.

For arbitrary assignment, let's use the Hoopsville first 17 and then plug in the last 4 in any order.

1) In straight ranking, how many Pool A teams do you perceive are better than:

Hoopsville Pool C #1 Hamilton?

Hoopsville Pool C #8 Wooster?

Hoopsville Pool C #9 Marietta?

Hoopsville Pool C #14 UW-Oshkosh?

Hoopsville Pool C #17 IWU?

Hoopsville Pool C "#18 NCC" and assume they came off next.

I count that the 21 bids were allocated to the teams from 15 conferences, so bid #21 is theoretically, at best, 36th best team in the tourney. The Pool A bids from other 28 single bid conferences may or may not better than #36.

Is a good round number that Pool C bid #21, for example, Brockport is better than 15 or 20 of the Pool A bids?

Thanks to all.

Based on selection criteria according to my model, I would say the following...

I have Wesleyan and Hamilton in the top 4, so there are two Pool A teams above that level (Williams & Augustana).

Marietta and Wooster were the 8th & 9th Pool C teams on my list, and there were 9 Pool A teams above them.  (This means that Marietta is at the top of the "#2 seeds" in pods).

There were 18 Pool A teams above UW-O (so if they were #14, that would make them #32 overall, the last "#2 seed").

I had only one more Pool A team between UW-O and Brockport, and 24 Pool A teams below Brockport.  The first eight of those 24 (who wouldn't have gotten in without the AQ) form the lower half of the "#3 seeds", along with the 16 "#4 seeds" from this group.

If we talked about "best" instead of most deserving by the criteria, that's a different story completely.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I didn't think the SUNYAC was particularly strong this year - if we're talking actually strength.  I think Brockport is probably lower down the rankings in my mind because of it.  When it comes to the bracket, the only team "seeded" below them that's better than them is Nichols, but as I've made abundantly clear, I don't think Nichols is seeded properly.

As for other teams in the "3" spot - I'd put Brockport ahead of Moravian and Nazareth, probably Union as well (and New England College, obviously) - on par with Leb Val, Hope, and Maryville and behind, either slightly or moreso, the rest of the threes.

So that's ahead of 19 AQs and on par with three more.

mailsy

Something I noticed. My Cabrini squads, winners of the CSAC, are playing the winners of the same conference, the CUNYAC. M-Staten Island. W-Brooklyn. I'm not talking pool C teams. But pool A. Are there any other schools who have both teams, winners of their conference, playing the winner of the same conference? Does this happen often? Curious. Thanks.
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 27, 2018, 12:48:50 AM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 26, 2018, 11:15:10 PM

There is a standard time, but I do not know, for sure, what it is.  There are legitimate reasons for changing it, but I am also unclear as to what those are.

Biggest reasons for the timing is to give both teams the same about of time to recover. They also don't love the idea of a tight turnaround the next day - though CBS has dictated otherwise in Salem which has shifted the semis in the past to an earlier slot.

Quote from: spwood on February 27, 2018, 07:00:40 AM
Quote from: augie77 on February 27, 2018, 01:07:13 AM

The NCAA.com bracket shows the game as 1 PM on Saturday.  I assumed that was a misprint.

May not be a misprint. I suspect (without checking with anyone) that they want to keep the structure to the weekend the same even for York where the games are earlier Friday and will play Saturday's game at 1pm if Yeshiva has not advanced. Should Yeshiva advance, then the game will be at 8:00 or 8:30 PM from what I'm told.

Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on February 27, 2018, 04:57:15 AM
There is an option to have a split session and play the games at 5:30 and 8:00 so you can empty the gym in between. I also believe that the home team must play the second game. That's what I have been told. I think the Saturday games are at 7:00.

I assume that the NCAA can grant waivers if necessary and requested.

They do grant waivers, but they are few and far between. Usually has to do with a conflict like religious ones. If there is a site problem, they usually find another location to host.

Quote from: mailsy on February 27, 2018, 11:30:46 AM
Something I noticed. My Cabrini squads, winners of the CSAC, are playing the winners of the same conference, the CUNYAC. M-Staten Island. W-Brooklyn. I'm not talking pool C teams. But pool A. Are there any other schools who have both teams, winners of their conference, playing the winner of the same conference? Does this happen often? Curious. Thanks.

It has happened probably more often than we realize (and don't pay attention to). Since both committees aren't really chatting when it comes to bracketing (except for men/women hosting items where there were none this year), I am sure we could spot it more than we realize in the last few years. Just a gut feeling. May be more rare than I think. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I imagine NESCAC and MASCAC winners have probably played each other quite a bit, especially since the MASCAC is pretty prone to upsets.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 27, 2018, 11:55:25 AM

I imagine NESCAC and MASCAC winners have probably played each other quite a bit, especially since the MASCAC is pretty prone to upsets.

Off the top of my head just on the women's side it has happened twice in the last three tournaments (counting this year). Men's side, I know it has happened (this year, right?) often as well.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 27, 2018, 11:58:21 AM

Off the top of my head just on the women's side it has happened twice in the last three tournaments (counting this year). Men's side, I know it has happened (this year, right?) often as well.

Amherst women are playing Becker this year, so it's not happening right now.  I don't have the time to go back and check.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 27, 2018, 12:11:55 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 27, 2018, 11:58:21 AM

Amherst women are playing Becker this year, so it's not happening right now.  I don't have the time to go back and check.

Westfield is playing Tufts in the first round this year. Not an AQ, I get that, but still conference comparison.