SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Mark, your comment surprizes me  - I've seen most of Maryville's games as a "prelim" to the men's games  -   I sit up high behind the bench, so am on the other side from most of the Maryville fans   -  I don't think I've heard anything rude, at least from across the court.  I thought any unseemly activity probably was directed at the officials (activity which I've been critical of), not at the opposition.  If you're correct, then I'm very disappointed.....   what went on that led to your remarks?   I was at the Wash U MU game, and was totally caught up in the remarkable lead that MU built up and in Wash U's great comeback...   what turned you off regarding the fans?
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

bearsfan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 11, 2006, 09:32:14 PM
I think yes to both answers. There are 21 at-large bids in Pool C (for those who don't get their automatic bid) and being unbeaten in-region is HUGE at this point of the year.

There's more about the playoffs in the FAQ, see link at bottom of my post.

Pat, do you really think Maryville would still get a Pool C if they lose their conference tournament. The lose would both drop them in the final regional rankings(atleast a few spots) and with a QoWI that would be a good bit under 10(probably around 9.5) don't you think they would have a hard time taking a Pool C of the likes of the WIAC teams that are all still competitive. Always kinda been general thoughts that you need a QoWI over 10 to get serious consideration. You think that's changed? I would think their schedule would really come back to haunt them if they were to lose, especially early in the SLIAC tournament.

yjacklok

bearsfan. You make a good point. Of Maryville's 11 non-conference games it looks like 8 of them were against non-D3 opponents. Several were NAIA and/or D2, but at least two of those eight were against very weak non-D3 teams. Still, I have seen them play a number of times, and I can tell you that they are good. I'm guessing from the name "bearsfan" that you support Wash U. I'm sure the lady Bears would like another crack at Maryville.

bearsfan

Yes, you are right that I am a Wash U supporter and am sure they would like another crack like they wanted another crack at Webster after their loss to them last year. I have also seen several of Maryville's games(including the loss to Hanover at the Hanover tournament that Wash U was also a part of) and don't doubt that they do have a good team. I just wonder if their regional slate(which minus Wash U is very weak) is going to hurt them since all the selection criteria are regionally based. Still, I don't think the Central region has quite the number of strong teams that dominated like last year did with the WIAC and CCIW beating each other up a little bit this year. Personally, I would be shocked if Maryville lost their conference tournament, but I thought the same thing last year.

yjacklok

Should Maryville lose the SLIAC tourney I expect the non-conference schedule will be a liability to them in getting a Pool C bid, because as I understand it, the only games that are taken into consideration in awarding those tournament slots are games against D3 schools.

yjacklok

bearsfan. Also, you mentioned Wash U's loss to Webster last season. While Webster clearly outplayed them in that game, I am aware that Was U was playing without Hallie Hutchens and Kelly Manning. Had those two been playing, it might have been a different story.

hopefan

Maryville's schedule is beginning to bite them, as they drop from 1 to 3 in the regional ratings despite 2 wins.
This could be a precursor to a huge disappointment when C bids are handed out, should they falter in the SLIAC tourney.  Also could mean that Wash U could be first in line to host a regional rather than MU.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

SaintsBall

mark, how can you talk about refs deciding the game is WashU never had the lead in the game? maryville was up almost 20 at half! quit complaining

fcnews

Congrats to my Lady Griffins. Good Luck tommorrow nite.

fcnews

The Lady Saints can thank the officiating crew for not making them sweat a Pool C bid. Griffins I'm proud of you all

stlrebfan

Quote from: fcnews on February 26, 2006, 02:14:49 AM
The Lady Saints can thank the officiating crew for not making them sweat a Pool C bid. Griffins I'm proud of you all
Are you serious?!  Were you watching the same game I was?  Maryville does not get in the bonus until 2:30 left in OT!  Give me a break.  Hats off to the Fontbonne kids.  They played their hearts out, but Maryville had IMO their worst game since December yet still found a way to win.  Lets give credit where it is due.  The coach at Maryville is a part-time coach, yet has had one of the top programs in the country the last three years and is competitive with programs that have full-time staffs.  Impressive.

fcnews

Stlrebfan - FU's three post players shot a total of 8 ft's. MU pounded them everytime the ball went inside. I don't care when we put you in the bonus, it's hard to foul when the other teams throwing up 3's, plus the Siants were the ones pressing. Hand checking is not allowed in college basketball and they might as well put step ladders out there the way they let them go over the top on the boards.

Your second statement about part time coaches, the vast majority of SLIAC coaches in all sports are part time. FU has three full time coaches for 11 sports.

That being said I can't beleive that MU did not get a home game in the NCAA's and Wash U did. What happen to the head to head criteria.

stlrebfan

Quote from: fcnews on February 27, 2006, 12:39:07 PM
Stlrebfan - FU's three post players shot a total of 8 ft's. MU pounded them everytime the ball went inside. I don't care when we put you in the bonus, it's hard to foul when the other teams throwing up 3's, plus the Siants were the ones pressing. Hand checking is not allowed in college basketball and they might as well put step ladders out there the way they let them go over the top on the boards.

Your second statement about part time coaches, the vast majority of SLIAC coaches in all sports are part time. FU has three full time coaches for 11 sports.

That being said I can't beleive that MU did not get a home game in the NCAA's and Wash U did. What happen to the head to head criteria.
Lets agree that the officiating was just bad on both ends.  Really, I thought it was the weakest I have seen in that conference this year, especially for the finals...

Odd that Wash U would host, although I think the MU 1st round game is very winnable.  Second round could be very difficult as Wheaton is very strong.  UAA gets four in...Wow!
NY has lost 5 of 6 or something like that yet gets in. 

BTW, I think Quigley does a great job.  He and Ellis seem to have a great respect for one another.  Good to see in this day and age.

bearsfan

Quote from: fcnews on February 27, 2006, 12:39:07 PM

Head-to-head is only 1 of the criteria and I am sure that did get factored in. The main think that probably kept Maryville from hosting was the fact they were only 1-0 vs regionally ranked opponents(one of the five criteria) compared to Wash U's 5-2 mark against regional opponents(potentially 4-1 if NYU dropped out of the secret final regional rankings).

Also, one of the largest components of the 5 criteria is the RQoWI. Wash U's was 11.684(5th of all teams nationally) compared to Maryville's which was 9.941(45th nationally). Those were probably the main two factors that got Wash U a host and similarly got Wheaton a host spot over Maryville.

The committee looks at the season as a whole and not just 1 particular game. It is difficult to argue that a team who ran away with a conference championship(13-1 mark compared to the 10-4 mark of the second place team) in a conference that had 4 teams make the tournament probably earned the right to host a game.

Also, they moved Wash U to the Great Lakes regional grouping which probably helped in them earning a host spot. It is more interesting that Wheaton was given the host in the group Maryville is playing in. Regardless, doesn't look like there could be a Maryville/Wash U rematch until the Elite 8 if both teams can make it that far. I guess we will see what the next few weeks hold in store.

yjacklok

Congratulations to the lady Saints and good luck today against Wheaton.