FB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look It Up

Good memory, RFMichigan. Eureka was in the Illini-Badger until 2008, when the NACC started sponsoring football and took Aurora, Benedictine, CUC, CUW and Lakeland with them.

AndOne

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 09, 2019, 06:58:35 PM
You asked the question without the same baggage, though, or the three emoji. Tone and a poster's history go a long way toward evaluating a poster's intent, for sure.

If he was eligible at North Central, and I have no reason to believe he wasn't, then he does not have to sit out at Aurora. Perhaps injured.

Yes, perhaps injured.
While I did hear things that thoroughly validate my "tone" and use of emojis, I can say I never heard anything about any eligibility issues when he attended NCC.

I wonder also if there is some type of required paperwork that hasn't yet either been completed or recorded. This could be an internal Aurora requirement of some sort and not NCAA related.

But, if he is eligible, the question certainly still remains open.

Ryan Stoppable

Quote from: RFMichigan on September 09, 2019, 07:10:11 PM
Quote from: hopefan on September 09, 2019, 05:44:14 PM
Curious... 5 schools from the SLIAC play Football... 4 of them are in the UMAC (Westminster, MacMurray, Greenville, Iowa Wesleyan)... one, Eureka, is in the NACC..

The NACC makes so much more sense travel wise... Eureka moved from the UMAC to the NACC 2 years ago... Did any of the other four schools consider it, or compete for a spot?  Was only one spot available?   Will the NACC consider adding more SLIAC teams in the future, or is the membership for football full?  I am a basketball guy, thought all 5 schools were UMAC, just realized that Eureka was NACC... pleased to see Eureka is tied for No 1 with Aurora in preseason poll in NACC.

It would seem to make sense for the SLIAC teams to want to get into the NACC for football, but if I remember correctly the NACC was down to seven teams (the minimum for NCAA automatic playoff consideration) after Maranatha dropped football and with talk of Benedictine leaving for DII there may have been a perceived need for one more team for the NACC but perhaps no more. I haven't done any Google Map projections but I think that Eureka is the closest of the SLIAC football playing schools to the NACC base of northern Illinois and Wisconsin.  It might not be that no other SLIAC schools want to join the NACC but that the NACC was not looking for other teams. (Although they did just accept St. Norbert.) If I remember correctly, Eureka has background with some of the NACC schools as I think they were members of the Illini-Badger Conference in the way-back.

Quote from: Look It Up on September 09, 2019, 07:31:16 PM
Good memory, RFMichigan. Eureka was in the Illini-Badger until 2008, when the NACC started sponsoring football and took Aurora, Benedictine, CUC, CUW and Lakeland with them.

Greenville and MacMurray were also members of the IBFC. RFMichigan pretty much has the timeline correct - the NACC would have been down to 6 football schools had Benedictine gone to D2. St. Norbert is joining the conference for all sports so they're a different case - they'll put the league at 9 for football once they do (and 13/14 for most other sports).

Speaking of the Green Knights, did not expect Aurora to hang 50 on them.

hopefan, not only is Eureka tied for #1 in the preseason poll, they are also the defending champions!
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

formerd3db

Speaking of Eureka, as some of us were having a discussion about the huge attendance for the WW game this past weekend, it was great to see that Eureka had 4443 for their game at their stadium.  As Ryan S alluded to, it will be interesting the upcoming Eureka/Albion game.  BTW, Albion had 4632 for their home attendance at their game last weekend and that was against Defiance.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

Quote from: AndOne on September 09, 2019, 07:37:57 PM
You asked the question without the same baggage, though, or the three emoji. Tone and a poster's history go a long way toward evaluating a poster's intent, for sure.

If he was eligible at North Central, and I have no reason to believe he wasn't, then he does not have to sit out at Aurora. Perhaps injured.

Yes, perhaps injured.

Indeed injured, I have it on good authority.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

AndOne

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 12, 2019, 10:13:06 PM
Quote from: AndOne on September 09, 2019, 07:37:57 PM

Yes, perhaps injured.

Indeed injured, I have it on good authority.

Broken ankle it seems.

Ryan Stoppable

Week Two scores:

Wisconsin Lutheran 14 (0-2)
Lawrence Tech 34

Olivet 54
Concordia Chicago 24 (1-1)

Concordia Wisconsin 31 (2-0)
Augsburg 0

Rockford 20 (1-1)
Martin Luther 34

Aurora 48 (2-0)
Elmhurst 22

Benedictine 14 (1-1)
Loras 42

MacMurray 24
Eureka 41 (2-0)

3-4 this week, with Lakeland being the only team who will play in Week 4 instead. Next week, everyone heads across and/or around the pond - if you're planning to watch on stream, remember many of these will be noon Central kickoffs.

NCAA Appearances

RFMichigan

Quote from: Ryan Stoppable on September 16, 2019, 12:25:47 PM
Here are some uninformed comments on the NACC non-conference opponents this week:
Week Two scores:

Wisconsin Lutheran 14 (0-2)
Lawrence Tech 34
Lawrence Tech has a pretty new program - only two years in existence - and is comprised of mostly freshmen and sophomores. However they are an NAIA school so I assume they grant scholarships, but I don't think they'll win another game this season. 

Olivet 54
Concordia Chicago 24 (1-1)
It was competitive until CUC roughed the Olivet punter on a fourth and 20 or so and down only 12-10. Instead of getting the ball back in good field position with momentum, CUC proceeded to give up 28 points in about six minutes and that was all she wrote. I think Olivet is going to be a tough out in the MIAA. They controlled the line of scrimmage convincingly against CUC.

Concordia Wisconsin 31 (2-0)
Augsburg 0
Although Augsburg isn't great this was one on their wins last year. A shutout from CUW looks pretty good.

Rockford 20 (1-1)
Martin Luther 34
Hard to tell how this reflects on Rockford. Martin Luther won the UMAC last year and then had St. John put up 80+ on them in the playoffs. I think that Rockford may be improved somewhat from last year but it may not be reflected in the standings this year.

Aurora 48 (2-0)
Elmhurst 22
Beating a CCIW team is usually an indicator of some talent even if Elmhurst may struggle in conference this year.

Benedictine 14 (1-1)
Loras 42
Ouch. I'm thinking that Loras will be decent this year but that can't be good for Benedictine.

MacMurray 24
Eureka 41 (2-0)
The Red Devils gave up a lot of yards passing. Again, MacMurray was picked rather highly in the UMAC South, so I think this is "ask again later".

3-4 this week, with Lakeland being the only team who will play in Week 4 instead. Next week, everyone heads across and/or around the pond - if you're planning to watch on stream, remember many of these will be noon Central kickoffs.

RFMichigan

I am really curious about the Aurora - Hope contest on Saturday. (Perhaps curious enough to drive across the state to watch it.) I really think that Aurora will give Hope a good test.

formerd3db

Quote from: RFMichigan on September 20, 2019, 11:39:20 AM
I am really curious about the Aurora - Hope contest on Saturday. (Perhaps curious enough to drive across the state to watch it.) I really think that Aurora will give Hope a good test.

I agree that Aurora, at least based on the team's performance so far this year and new attitude/atmosphere with the new coach and staff,  is not going to be a push-over perhaps as they may have been in the past.  Hope better bring their "A" game tomorrow or I think as one my fellow Hope posters on our board mentioned, there may be some concern going in to Hope's MIAA season schedule. 

I am praying for the great weather we've had (and had at last Saturday's game) continues for tomorrow.  So far, the extended weather report (prediction) is good for that. Anyway, drive safe RFMichigan if you decide to make the trip in returning to your "home" state, as I recall!
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

RFMichigan

Even though they only won two games in the crossover with the MIAA, I thought that the NACC gave a decent showing for themselves. Aurora, Eureka, CUW, WLC, and Benedictine were competitive in their losses with Aurora and WLC really being playing the woulda-coulda-shoulda game.  Only Lakeland in action next week before league play begins in two weeks.

With the non-conference schedule nearly completed it still looks as though Aurora and Eureka are the class of the conference although CUW, Lakeland, and Benedictine may have a say in it.

Ryan Stoppable

To be specific:

Concordia Wisconsin 16 (2-1)
(ARV) Trine 21

(ARV) Aurora 32 (2-1)
Hope 34

Eureka 41 (2-1)
Albion 56

Lakeland 28 (1-1)
Kalamazoo 7

Concordia Chicago 23 (2-1)
Finlandia 12

Rockford 16 (1-2)
Alma 51

Benedictine 6 (1-2)
Olivet 21

Wisconsin Lutheran 29 (0-3)
Adrian 32 (2 OT)

It was an encouraging performance by Lakeland today, as they took control in the 2nd half after both teams left chances wanting before the break. Platteville will surely be a stiff test next week - interested to see how the Muskies handle it.

NCAA Appearances

Ryan Stoppable

Week Four:

(ARV) UW-Platteville 55
Lakeland 28 (1-2)

Pleasantly surprised with how the Muskies looked on offense, especially with Wilson making his first career start behind center. There were some freshman mistakes but also some very encouraging signs. On defense...well, not so much.

Next week, it begins for really real.

NCAA Appearances

Ryan Stoppable

Week Five:

Wisconsin Lutheran 27 (1-0, 1-3)
Rockford 13 (0-1, 1-3)

Lakeland 26 (0-1, 1-3)
Concordia Chicago 31 (1-0, 3-1)

Eureka 35 (0-1, 2-2)
Aurora 62 (1-0, 3-1)

Benedictine 27 (1-0, 2-2)
Concordia Wisconsin 21 (OT) (0-1, 2-2)

It was the 3rd quarter that did the Muskies in - taking a 1 point game at halftime to an 18 point game in the opening minute of the 4th, which proved to be too big a hill to climb. But credit needs to be given to CUC, who appears to be this year's team to defy their preseason expectations like CUW did last year.

Was not expecting the Cheese Bowl next week to be a virtual must-win for both of those teams already. But you just never know in the NACC.

Elsewhere, Aurora (re?)establishes themselves as the conference favorites, Benedictine has Williams carry them to victory in overtime (5 rushes, no passes on the winning drive), and WLC opens their account in the win column.

NCAA Appearances

Ryan Stoppable

Week Six:

Concordia Chicago 27 (1-1, 3-2)
Aurora 63 (2-0, 4-1)

Rockford 13 (0-2, 1-4)
Benedictine 48 (2-0, 3-2)

Eureka 26 (1-1, 3-2)
Wisconsin Lutheran 20 (OT) (1-1, 1-4)

Concordia Wisconsin 0 (0-2, 2-3)
Lakeland 44 (1-1, 2-3)

Didn't get to see the game this week as I was traveling, but a total beatdown to regain the Cheese Bowl is not what I was expecting. Not complaining though! CUW was expected to contend this year, and two losses have all but buried those hopes, while Eureka needed overtime to avoid the same fate.

Next week, the Spartans and Eagles both hit the road as they look to remain unbeaten in conference play.

NCAA Appearances