BB: ODAC: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by Matt Barnhart (kid), December 30, 2005, 12:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justafan02

Actually the ODAC and USASC played a total of 35 (unofficially) games against each other.  The record was not the 7-2 that you recorded yet pretty close to even.

The ODAC was 16-19 vs. the USASC last year.

narch

Quote from: justafan02 on February 02, 2006, 09:25:54 PM
The ODAC was 16-19 vs. the USASC last year.

7-2 was the usasac FOOTBALL record vs. the odac...so it looks like the usasac is better than the odac in BOTH baseball and football :)

for the record, i have the usasac/odac series at 24-19-1 in favor of the usasac - here is how the records stack up:

mc: 3-1
fc: 5-3-1
cnu: 3-2
ncwc: 3-2
gc: 3-3
su: 3-1
au: 4-7
overall: 24-19-1

it should be noted that au finished with just 6 wins on the season (the only usasac team with a losing record), and 4 of the 6 wins came against odac competition (2 wins against guilford and one against hsc...both teams in the top 1/2 of the odac, and they also beat rmc)...averett won just one game in usasac competition - only 4 of the usasac wins (and none of the losses) came against the bottom 2 teams in the odac (2 by gc vs. ehc and 2 by su vs. emu)

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Bridgewater Tops 2006 ODAC Baseball Poll

Bridgewater has been selected as the favorite by the league's head coaches in the 2006 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Baseball Preseason Poll.

http://www.odaconline.com/06baseballpoll.htm
Former Publisher of BridgewaterFootball.com

cnufan

I  never would have thought BC would have been picked as the favorite. I figured Lynchburg would have been picked.

VW-16

Don't sleep on the Marlins, they have reloaded with some transfers as well as a new class of diaper dandies.

Quote from: Goose13 on February 03, 2006, 08:54:26 PM
I never would have thought BC would have been picked as the favorite. I figured Lynchburg would have been picked.

cnufan

I realize the Marlins have a young class. I sent one my legion kids there who should be the starting shortstop. Great ball player, smooth hands and can hit. Cant wait to watch him play.

VW-16

Who would that be? I hear that they are very high on the current freshman, Hathaway might be his name.

Quote from: Goose13 on February 04, 2006, 11:04:20 PM
I realize the Marlins have a young class. I sent one my legion kids there who should be the starting shortstop. Great ball player, smooth hands and can hit. Cant wait to watch him play.

cnufan

Hathaway is his name. He possesses a lot of skill at the position. Has soft smooth hands and a great swing at the plate. He was instrumental in our district championship run until he was hit in the nose at the plate in the semifinals. He showed a lot of determination when he got back on the horse a month later for fall drills and played very well.

VW-16

Is anyone else suprised about HSC #3 preseason ranking. This team went to the World Series last year and returns its big horse on the mound. A little slap in the face if you ask me.

mybleedinghands

LYNCHBURG, VA – Lucas Jones (Lynchburg, VA/Heritage) was named to the Baseball America Division III Pre-Season first-team recently, garnering the selection as a second baseman, where he is slated to begin the season.

http://www.lynchburg.edu/athletics/releases/2005-06/bb187.htm

Interesting move to second base. Perhaps this opens the door for Jon Crews or Kevin Nichol at first.

Llamaguy

Quote from: narch on February 02, 2006, 02:19:49 PM

it could be said, but the usasac was actually 7-2 (on the field...counting su's forfeit loss as the 12-0 on field win that it was) vs. the odac this year...and your tied-for-2nd place-team (guilford) lost to mc, ferrum and averett by a combined 111-57, not to mention the fact that they (guilford) needed a one-point miracle to beat the usasac 7th place team, greensboro, which won a single game all year - the other odac win was by the odac champion (b'water) vs. the usasac last place team (su)...not exactly convincing stuff

i'd say the two conferences are closer top to bottom in football than they are in baseball, honestly

Good argument for top to bottom equivalence;however, we all know the real season is the post season! How does the mighty USASAC stack up against the ODAC (aka. Bridgewater) there? Nuff said, ... Now back to the regularly scheduled preseason baseball talk. ;D
"The Dali Llama"

Bridgewater Football 1980,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005 ODAC Champions!

narch

Quote from: Llamaguy on February 11, 2006, 01:09:43 AMGood argument for top to bottom equivalence;however, we all know the real season is the post season! How does the mighty USASAC stack up against the ODAC (aka. Bridgewater) there? Nuff said, ... Now back to the regularly scheduled preseason baseball talk. ;D

good point...how many regional championships does the odac have in baseball?...one, right?...mc has won more south regionals (6) than the entire odac and finished 2nd in the nation twice, nc wesleyan has 11 regional titles & 2 national championships, cnu has 2 regional championships and 2nd & 3rd place national finishes in those seasons...that's a 19 to 1 regional title lead for the usasac - in just 5 seasons of usasac football, the odac (b'water) has a 2-0 lead in regional championships in football

the usasac is MUCH CLOSER to the odac in football than the odac is to the usasac in baseball...just a fact :)

Llamaguy

LOL! Regional Championships is a good measuring stick in baseball but not football.

Playoff Record since 1999: Football

ODAC                    10-8        0.556
USASAC/Dixie       2-6        0.250

Guess that is closer than baseball but far from equal. ;)

ps. You can thank the public school in the USASAC for the wins the conference does have.
"The Dali Llama"

narch

Quote from: Llamaguy on February 11, 2006, 12:07:30 PM
LOL! Regional Championships is a good measuring stick in baseball but not football.

why?  there are 8 regions for 390 baseball programs (approx 1 / 49 teams) and 4 regions for 231 football teams (approx 1 / 58 teams)...not a huge difference there, if you ask me - would you prefer to compare national championships (2-0 usasac in baseball, 0-0 in football) or appearances in the title game (5-0 usasac in baseball, 1-0 odac in football)?...still looks like we're MUCH closer in football than you are in baseball to me

Playoff Record since 1999

usasac football did not exist until 2001 (and 4 of the TEAMS didn't exist in 1999), but you're right, the odac still leads:

ODAC                    9-7       0.563
USASAC/Dixie       2-6        0.250

Guess that is closer than baseball but far from equal. ;)

i don't recall using the term equal :)...in fact, i think the usasac is BETTER than the odac in football (at least until the post season :))

ps. You can thank the public school in the USASAC for the wins the conference does have.

and the odac can thank bc for every appearance since 2001...the usasac has accomplished something in football that the odac hasn't in that time period...2 teams making the playoffs

Llamaguy

Quote from: narch on February 02, 2006, 09:35:12 PM

7-2 was the usasac FOOTBALL record vs. the odac...so it looks like the usasac is better than the odac in BOTH baseball and football :)

Further investigation into the numbers yields a 7-2 record, actually 6-3 with the forfeit by SU to Catholic but I'll still give SU that win. However, it is who beat who that tells the real story. 4 wins by the #1&2 placed USAC team versus ODAC #3 and below. The other 3 wins were against ODAC teams with only 1 ODAC victory in 2005.
I guess that stellar schedule against the bottom feeders of the ODAC doesn't prepare you too well for that playoff run. ::)

I would be willing to bet that if BC,HSC,&W&L scheduled Greensboro,Maryville,NC Wesleyan, and Shenandoah every year the ODAC Football head-to-head would look quite impressive as well.
"The Dali Llama"