MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(509)Rat

Va Wes shooting great from outside. Whitworth needs to defend the perimeter better and finish around the bucket. VWC up 35-30 at half

etule

looked like two evenly matched teams! WW did everything but win! The only stat they were beat in was 3pt %. Great season!

A Buc Forever

Great year for the Bucs and I thought the conference race was exciting.  Looking forward to next year already.  It would be great to see schools like Linfield and UPS play a more DIII oriented non-league schedule. Maybe that would help the NWC get a second team into the playoffs. 

See ya all next year.

playball

Quote from: A Buc Forever on March 10, 2012, 03:37:10 PM
Great year for the Bucs and I thought the conference race was exciting.  Looking forward to next year already.  It would be great to see schools like Linfield and UPS play a more DIII oriented non-league schedule. Maybe that would help the NWC get a second team into the playoffs. 

See ya all next year.

Me too Buc!  However, it won't happen.  The amount of funding for a D3 schedule is just not there for basketball at Linfield.

Anyways, great season to WW, and a great senior season for their seniors.  Great career to Felix!  What a great example of hard work and all of it showed.   

theg

Once again they are bounced and I love it.
I have never seen such a group of classless fans.  In particular the guy with the messed up face and his band of idiots yelling insults at KIDS from other teams.  It takes a lot of guts to yell at 19 year old kids from the stands.
Once again, suck it.

playball

Quote from: theg on March 11, 2012, 02:55:07 PM
Once again they are bounced and I love it.
I have never seen such a group of classless fans.  In particular the guy with the messed up face and his band of idiots yelling insults at KIDS from other teams.  It takes a lot of guts to yell at 19 year old kids from the stands.
Once again, suck it.

The fans are out of the coaches control at most venues.  That usually falls upon the facility managers, which is more administration.  While I hated playing at Whitworth, you have to admire their fan support and clever insults!  They are a good organized bunch of hooligans that most other schools would love to have! 

Its obvious you do not feel the same way about them, however you can go about it in a more respectful and mature way.  "Messed up face" ?  Uncalled for.  Also, you highlight the word "kids".  These players play MENS basketball, BOYS basketball ended in highschool.  They can handle a good ribbing from the fans during a game since thats what they will face when it comes to tournament time.

theg

I disagree that adults yelling at 20 year old "adults", "kids", whatever is acceptable.  These jackasses were ADULTS and awful.  When we played them, we had other Whitworth people apologizing after the game, but it was tolerated during the game.  If our fans acted like that, I would personally intervene and let our "fans" know that it was unacceptable.  You said "good ribbing".  This wasn't "good ribbing".  It was classlesss and unacceptable.  The guy with the "messed up face"? The loudest jackass of them all.  In the words of the Oklahoma State coach, I'm a man.  If he tried to yell the stuff he yelled at 20 year old kids in a less controlled environment, he'd get smacked hard.  But he and his cohort of idiots are cowards, yelling at 20 year old division III kids in a gym.  Sad, cowardly, pathetic.

(509)Rat

When did you play Whitworth?

Bearcat Press

Looks like theg is from a school in the MWC.

Personally, I'd love it if the other NWC schools had fans as enthusiastic as Whitworth's.  Willamette had a great crowd for our home finale against Fox, and those who were at Cone that night know that the crowd affected the outcome of the game.  Mike Taylor was clearly rattled after he unexpectedly became the Coneheads' public enemy #1.  And in the end, that helped set up this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9h1tUExz9o&context=C48fe8a8ADvjVQa1PpcFMbN2j-901i2-KSXjjBUKV78ieVVB9FbhY=

I wish students would create this environment at every NWC game.  Of course, winning helps draw crowds ... :-\
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

(509)Rat

That's easily the most fans I've seen at a Willamette basketball game...ever. Nice work! Although storming the court was a little unnecessary  ;)

wildcat11

Whitworth  assistant coach isn't thrilled with West Region Teams (via twitter)

https://twitter.com/#!/mmelka/statuses/179392645959917569

Wow, All Region Teams are a joke. Sorry Idris for not getting mentioned even and the slap they gave Felix on 3rd team.

Followed by

https://twitter.com/#!/mmelka/statuses/179393016358903808

I mean, didn't we win the NWC? And beat Whitman? And smash Linfield and Cal Lu? The fact that So. and Jr. make the list over E is stupid.

---------------------
As a football person I'll say that I love the way D3sports.com handles their all-regions/all-american teams.  They make tough decisions (that I don't agree with at times) but there is no doubt the weight their pre/post season teams carry is so much greater than organizations that name 35 1st team all-americans. 

(509)Rat

I usually agree with PC and the d3hoops guys, but the assistant coach is right. Felix isn't a 3rd teamer in the west region. Idris probably ought to be 2nd/3rd team. I have no problem with Anderson from Linfield making the all-conference team, where you have room for a guy who scored the most points on a bad team. But when you get to all-region and have 5 times the number of players to choose from you need to be more selective and reward players who played well against top competition, you know, like in the tourney.

Rough week for those Whitworth guys...

playball

Quote from: wildcat11 on March 12, 2012, 11:33:14 PM
Whitworth  assistant coach isn't thrilled with West Region Teams (via twitter)

https://twitter.com/#!/mmelka/statuses/179392645959917569

Wow, All Region Teams are a joke. Sorry Idris for not getting mentioned even and the slap they gave Felix on 3rd team.

Followed by

https://twitter.com/#!/mmelka/statuses/179393016358903808

I mean, didn't we win the NWC? And beat Whitman? And smash Linfield and Cal Lu? The fact that So. and Jr. make the list over E is stupid.

---------------------
As a football person I'll say that I love the way D3sports.com handles their all-regions/all-american teams.  They make tough decisions (that I don't agree with at times) but there is no doubt the weight their pre/post season teams carry is so much greater than organizations that name 35 1st team all-americans.

When you don't win POY for the NWC it really hurts your cause, regardless on how close the vote was/should've been. 

playball

Also, I think it is kind of odd that Idris didn't get any all region recognition while Zach Anderson did.  Usually the all NWC team is published with the top vote getter at the top and the second right below, etc... Idris had finished over Zach in voting.  Don't get me wrong, Zach is a good player.  All Im saying is that is odd to me.  Also, congrats to Zach Anderson for being 2nd team!

A Buc Forever

All-District teams are pretty hard to pick. The teams haven't even played each other in most cases.  Especially hard to select players from teams like Whitworth where different players step up each night rather than by one player leading the way each night.  Congrats to the ones that made it on the All-District team.  They deserve it--as do some of the guys left off the team.  Important to remember at this point in the year is the only objective prize is winning.

Can't wait until next year for NWC conference basketball!!!  My favorite basketball to watch.  In the mean time, my daughter's high school team is in the state quarterfinals for California.